The Student Room Group

Maths and FM cashing in Question!

These are the results I obtained in my Maths units with the corresponding cash-ins:

522 UMS, A* Mathematics: (C1 93) (C2 81) (C3 94) (C4 96) (M1 74) (S1 84).
422 UMS, B Further Maths: (FP1 95) (FP2 38) (M2 90) (M3 60) (S2 93) (D1 46).

If I were to re-sit M3 in January 2012 and hypothetically obtain 80 UMS or more, would I score an A grade in Further Maths (480 UMS)?

Or would it still be a B in Further Maths (442 UMS)? Because if D1 were cashed in regular Maths instead of S1, regular Maths would still be an A* (484 UMS) and Further Maths would be an A.

Likewise, would I score an A* grade if I were to obtain 87 UMS or more? I'm concerned because of the specific cash-ins of the other modules.

Would both Maths AND Further Maths have to be cashed in again thus risking my current A* in Maths?

I emailed Edexcel and they didn't seem to understand my question.

Thank you - any help appreciated!
Reply 1
You should be able to put D1 with normal maths.
You can get an A* in FM with any 3 A2 modules excluding core, so 270 from M2 M3 S2 would give you an A*
dont really understand third question, but you cant risk your A* in maths unless you somehow go to a B in maths as A* is 180 from c3/c4
Yes, if you got an extra 20 in M3, then you would have enough points for an A in Further Maths by putting D1 in Maths instead of S1. The system's not done that this time as there would be no point because it doesn't help the grade in such circumstances they tend to go for the combination that maximises your Maths UMS.

You will certainly need to cash Maths in again, because otherwise you won't be allowed to use S1 in Further Maths as it's already being used in Maths; the whole thing only works by redoing the Maths aggregation with D1. Re cash any ASs too for the same reason.

You can't risk your Maths grade as that is always the first priority when working out the combination, so as it's possible for you to get A* a combination with anything else would never be chosen.
Reply 3
Original post by Square Root
Yes, if you got an extra 20 in M3, then you would have enough points for an A in Further Maths by putting D1 in Maths instead of S1. The system's not done that this time as there would be no point because it doesn't help the grade in such circumstances they tend to go for the combination that maximises your Maths UMS.

You will certainly need to cash Maths in again, because otherwise you won't be allowed to use S1 in Further Maths as it's already being used in Maths; the whole thing only works by redoing the Maths aggregation with D1. Re cash any ASs too for the same reason.

You can't risk your Maths grade as that is always the first priority when working out the combination, so as it's possible for you to get A* a combination with anything else would never be chosen.

Great! Understood: Resit M3 and cash in all Maths modules again

Thank you so much for your replies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending