The Student Room Group

Too old for Uni??

Hi I just want some reassurance that I will not stick out like a sore thumb at uni since I am 20 soon to be 21 and starting my first undergraduate course in spetiember. Am I a couple of years too late or will it be no big deal. Also I am staying away from home. Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course it won't be a big deal, plenty of gap year students are a similar age when they start, and a lot of 'mature' students will be much much older than you. Why would you think that a year or two difference in age would matter at all? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Absolutely not! Many people go to uni in their fifties and beyond and really enjoy the experience. Perhaps you'll feel awkward for a bit, but I really can't see people judging you. And if they do, it's their problem.

But I understand the hesitation -- if I hadn't got my grades this year I'd have been 20 when I went, and that thought scared me a lot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by humblez21
Hi I just want some reassurance that I will not stick out like a sore thumb at uni since I am 20 soon to be 21 and starting my first undergraduate course in spetiember. Am I a couple of years too late or will it be no big deal. Also I am staying away from home. Help

Asking you an honest question here to get you to think about what you're asking: in what ways do you imagine a 20 year old would look/sound/stick out as being remotely different from an 18 year old?
Nothing such as being too old to be a university student! I remember having a 33 year old in my course. I've seen much older people as well. It's no big deal :h: don't worry :smile:
Reply 5
jees thought you were going to say you're 40, 20 is nothing!
Reply 6
ok ok thanks you guys I feel a bit better :colondollar:
Not even close, there is a 63 year old woman on my course, and even she barely sticks out.
Reply 8
It's gonna be a learning curve :tongue:

Really - no-one will notice. You'll seem the same age as most of the first years.
Reply 9
Too old? Not even close mate.

You have nothing to worry about. You'll blend in just fine, I promise :smile:
I'm 20 and turning 21 on the Friday of Freshers week (30th September).

I actually think my seniority/landmark birthday will help me to make friends - it's an epic excuse to go out on the lash :P
Reply 11
Not at all, you can do a degree at any age these days :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by humblez21

Hi I'm hoping to go to uni next yr and i'll be 38......so you are young enough to be my kid....now i'm feeling old ..lol
Short in sweet, No because my sister met people around 30 there and im 21 i got 2 years of college left start this sep and i got uni.
Reply 14
You'll be fine. :/ I'll be 19 when I go, and I didn't take any gap years or anything, I went straight from school (oldest in the year group). So you'll only be a year and a bit older than other people. Lol, I doubt people will even be able to tell unless you tell them.
Reply 15
I'm going to be 26 when I start my undergrad degree in Sept! You have NOTHING to worry about!
Reply 16
I'm 21, start next month. I'm actually happier that I'm going to be older than the rest of them.
I will be 27.

Im not sure what the whole point of classifying someone as a "mature" student actually achieves other than invite stigma.

It is just another label to categorise someone into.

Regardless, I am doing this for myself and no-one else, there will always be ageist people in society much like all other forms of prejudice I guess it is their own problem to deal with.
Reply 18
You're never too old for anything in life. You go hunny! x
Reply 19
you are never too old for uni, im 21 and starting sept :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending