Theres so much to learn! I keep forgetting lol

tell me about it...
nothing is going in!
Original post by xxvine
tell me about it...
nothing is going in!

There's just so much. I definitely need help
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hey everyone, I recently got awarded an A (5 marks off an A*!) in my Sociology A-level, and I know that at times it can be difficult, confusing, and people don't really know where the hell to start in their revision!

I took Families and Households, Education, Beliefs in Society and Crime and Deviance, along with the research and theory involved! If anybody has any questions, do not hesitate to ask as I really enjoyed the course and would be happy to help x

Hey,
I'm currently studying AS sociology family and households and education. I find both these topics very interesting and fun, however, my exams are only 4 months away and I'm beginning to worry that I won't be able to remember the key studies. Do you have any tips to remembering them? I've tried writing them down and reading over them but that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanking you in advance

Laurie
Original post by Laurie1727
Hey,
I'm currently studying AS sociology family and households and education. I find both these topics very interesting and fun, however, my exams are only 4 months away and I'm beginning to worry that I won't be able to remember the key studies. Do you have any tips to remembering them? I've tried writing them down and reading over them but that doesn't seem to be working.

Thanking you in advance

Laurie

What I did for last year: i wrote out all the relevant names & what they found/suggested on a piece of paper. I then tore up the pieces of paper and matched them up, every now and then. It helped me to remember the names for the exam and their theories, i got an A at AS so i think it worked lol.
I now have an app called "QuizLet" for iPhone and i wish I discovered it last year, it's basically the same method but electronically. I test myself every now and then for my A2 exams (which is heavier hahah). Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hey everyone, I recently got awarded an A (5 marks off an A*!) in my Sociology A-level, and I know that at times it can be difficult, confusing, and people don't really know where the hell to start in their revision!

I took Families and Households, Education, Beliefs in Society and Crime and Deviance, along with the research and theory involved! If anybody has any questions, do not hesitate to ask as I really enjoyed the course and would be happy to help x

Sorry if this is a bit out of date - I'm doing this a level and want get revising early on so I can get a good grade in my exam.

What was the best way to revise and how did you manage the time in the exam sufficiently?

I got a D in my mock exam because I couldn't finish in the time allocated!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by robinson.aleisha
I'm doing AS Sociology and we are studying Family and Households and Education and research methods. I'm am currently struggling with my essay writing can someone help

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did those last year, I'm doing A2 now. I got an A last year, I got a B in the Family paper and nearly full marks in the Education paper, a high A overall. I still have all my notes from last year and essays, but very few actually typed up, most written by hand. I'll be happy to email anyone any essays or notes I do have though.
The only thing I can suggest is what my teacher taught us, she's an examiner herself. Only use PEEEL (Point, Explanation, Evidence, Evaluation, Link). I always used to not get as high grades in my essays because I hated always having to constantly link back to the question, but it really works and increases your grade.
Original post by oliwialidia
I did those last year, I'm doing A2 now. I got an A last year, I got a B in the Family paper and nearly full marks in the Education paper, a high A overall. I still have all my notes from last year and essays, but very few actually typed up, most written by hand. I'll be happy to email anyone any essays or notes I do have though.
The only thing I can suggest is what my teacher taught us, she's an examiner herself. Only use PEEEL (Point, Explanation, Evidence, Evaluation, Link). I always used to not get as high grades in my essays because I hated always having to constantly link back to the question, but it really works and increases your grade.

Hi, thanks for the tip and will definitely use that method, considering that your teacher is an examiner herself. I think the layout of my essays lost me marks. If you can, I will very be grateful if you could email me your notes so that I could see examples of the PEEEL.

what do you mean by link in PEEEL and also how did you revise? How you finding A2......started revising yet?
Original post by antoni_l
With the PEEEL method, what are good ways to provide evidence, and how do you actually link back to the question?

You can say, so and so found this, which suggests.... (by saying that, you're linking it to the question) or you can use actual examples for evidence. It's a tricky method, because you can't evaluate every point or evidence you make. :/ if that made any sense hahah, I'm still getting used to the method

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, just wondering if any of you could help; if you can it would be amazing!
Im currently studying Sociology at AS level, and I have a 20 mark research methods essay, its methods in context.

''Discuss the potential issues sociologists may face when using a questionnaire to investigate peoples lay definitions of health"

I can only think of 2 things: They may not be honest in their answers and they may misinterpret certain questions if they misunderstand the wording of the question. All help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Harrigt
Hi, thanks for the tip and will definitely use that method, considering that your teacher is an examiner herself. I think the layout of my essays lost me marks. If you can, I will very be grateful if you could email me your notes so that I could see examples of the PEEEL.

Hey, feel free to send me your email in the private message and I'll send them to you when I get a chance! :smile:
Original post by xxvine
what do you mean by link in PEEEL and also how did you revise? How you finding A2......started revising yet?

What I do for linking is at the end of every single paragraph I link it exactly to what the question is saying: usually it's: "thus, (whatever the question is) in a agree or disagree format". I didn't exactly do much revision except notes, I've already started revision for A2's too, I got a B in my religion mock, my crime and theory one is on Monday. All I'm doing as revision currently is getting as many essays done as I can; it's what works best for me.
Original post by antoni_l
With the PEEEL method, what are good ways to provide evidence, and how do you actually link back to the question?

As evidence I usually always use a study or even just a writer, if you can't remener either, use a concept or a relevant example. Like if the essay is on Marxism being in Marx and alienation, exploitation, means of production, FCC ect.
What I do for linking is at the end of every single paragraph I link it exactly to what the question is saying: usually it's: "thus, (whatever the question is) in a agree or disagree format". I didn't exactly do much revision except notes, I've already started revision for A2's too, I got a B in my religion mock, my crime and theory one is on Monday. All I'm doing as revision currently is getting as many essays done as I can; it's what works best for me.

has your school finished the syllabus yet?
Original post by xxvine
has your school finished the syllabus yet?

We've finished the religion one, and we've started the crime and theory one, we've done some crime, and covered functionalism, Marxism and interpretivism for theory, nothing on methods yet, are you doing AS or A2?
Finding it hard to revise families and households and education and research methods.
Any revision techniques that will help to memorise?
I'm very, very forgetful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 657
Hi, would you be able to send me your unit 1 notes on families and households please?
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could send me some notes and essay plans via email for Beliefs, research methods and crime and deviance. This will be greatly appreciated if anyone can.
Does anyone have any notes for education and research methods and also families and households. Would be greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending