The Student Room Group

Need any help with AQA Psychology? from 'A' grade A-level student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by EffKayy
This book is a MUST have for everyone, okay I mean the evaluation points suck but the AO1 is good. Every student must have it (in class we use this book). But the others I advise you to get is the one with the eye on it.

So basically is it just essay examples? Or is it similiar to the revision guide (CGP) but in more depth?
Thanks
Reply 81
Original post by TheHeart
So basically is it just essay examples? Or is it similiar to the revision guide (CGP) but in more depth?
Thanks

No there's no essay examples - its just content.
Reply 82
Original post by EffKayy
No there's no essay examples - its just content.

Alright, thanks :smile:
Reply 83
Anyone willing to mark my essay on the social exchange theory? PM me :smile:
Thanks
Hey guys, I also recieved an A at A-Level. Feel free to PM me or quote me with any questions/essays you want marked! Did AQA A syllabus.
This is a cry for help, does ANYBODY know ANYONE that did Psychology AQA B. Everyone seems to have done AQA A :frown: I've created a thread but no one has replied as yet!
Reply 86
Original post by sunlightxstarbright
Hey guys, I also recieved an A at A-Level. Feel free to PM me or quote me with any questions/essays you want marked! Did AQA A syllabus.

what topics did you do my friend?
Reply 87
Hey guys,

We're doing PSYA4 in January, and we're doing Depression, Media, and Research.
Can anybody show me some model answers or essay titles or notes or anything that would help with A/A* mark band?

Thanks
Original post by aggie.
what topics did you do my friend?

Aggression, Relationships and Eating behaviour and then Media, Research Methods and Schizophrenia :biggrin:
Reply 89
Aggression, Relationships and Eating behaviour and then Media, Research Methods and Schizophrenia :biggrin:

Would you be able to email me your eating behaviours notes if you've done them on a computer? please? xx
I gave you a pos rep just to make up for a neg lol. Why are people so mean? You're only being nice :frown:
Reply 91
Hey, the questions are now 24 marks aren't they?
I'm getting all confused because we started learning unit 3 at the end of last year like July time and then the spec changed which was very(!!) annoying .... x
Reply 92

Hey, could you by any chance e-mail me any material on media? That would be great! Notes or essays pretty please!!! :biggrin::colondollar:

[email protected]
Reply 93
Hey! I'm doing AQA A AS at the moment! I was wondering if you could give me some tips on revision and stuff? :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by clojade
Hey! I'm doing AQA A AS at the moment! I was wondering if you could give me some tips on revision and stuff? :smile:

at AS level just keep re-writing everything.

Download the Spec from the AQA website and get a good no-nonsense textbook and just keep writing/re-writing the main elements from what the Spec says will be in the paper;

eye-witness testimony variation questions, Memory models, attachment etc etc.

Keep doing past papers over and over as that i found helped a lot and when I started scoring high on the papers (and read the markschemes to see how they want them answered) - I got into the habit of answering and thinking like the examiners wanted and I kept scoring A consistently.

There ya go.
Reply 95
Is there any chance somebody could post an 'A' grade essay on the theories of relationship formation? I have given my teacher the same essay twice & she's marked it from a D to a B, so I really would like someone who has had an answer marked, then I can see if I'm actually getting it right & how I can improve to get an A :smile:
hiya - any advice for revising? I've got my PSYA4 exam in january (my school is doing it a weird way round) and also a PSYA1 retake - I got a B at AS and need an A at a2! please help, starting to stresss there's so much to know xxxx
Reply 97
EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to quote you! :biggrin:

I just found an essay I did for A-level Psychology. I did three very similar essays in the exam and came out with an average of 97.5% at A2. I hope this essay demonstrates the kind of language you need to use, the kind of evaluation you need to use, and the appropriate amount and detail of studies required:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Outline and evaluate the biological approach of human aggression. (25 marks)

The biological approach of human aggression assumes all behaviour is down to your genetic make-up, neural differences and/or hormonal/chemical imbalances/dispositions. It disregards environmental factors such as social learning theory of having any influence upon human behavioural aggression. The research done in this field to assess the extent to which biological factors influence aggression has been undertaken in the fields of analysing genetical differences between people, through neurological comparison and studying hormonal influences and difference in outcome upon change.

I will first discuss the hormone ‘testosterone’ in the influence of human aggressive behaviour and evaluate it accordingly. Gullotta et al (2005) found males are ten times more likely to commit violent crime than females and the large amount of this crime occurred around the pubertal time of ages 14-24. From first outlook of this research we can see face validity in the testosterone approach to human aggression behaviour as it is more prevalent in males than within females, and thus may explain why males, on average and proposed to be more aggressive. This view must be analysed further though due to the problem of cause and effect. This study may initially assume testosterone is the cause to human aggression behaviour, but we cannot rule off other factors, and so must delve into more research to calculate this view.

Wagner et al (1979) upon reflection of his research considered testosterone to be a necessary influence into human aggressive behaviour but not sufficient to trigger it. In his experiment he separated two groups of mice in which he labelled as ‘aggressive’ and ‘non-aggressive’ upon observation of their behaviour. He then surgically castrated these mice, hence removing significant amounts of the hormone testosterone from their system. On primary examination; this was found to dramatically reduce the mice’s aggressive behaviour. Both groups of the mice were then administered testosterone. The interesting conclusion upon this was that it only increased the aggressive levels of the mice which were originally labelled as aggressive, and seemed to have no influence upon the other mice. We therefore fall back onto Wager’s originally conclusion that the hormone testosterone was necessary but not sufficient to induce aggressive behaviour. This therefore suggests his research as reductionist; this is because he is reducing complex human behaviour down to its simple biological terms when other environmental factors may influence their behaviour. However, we do find problems with this research; the research is anthropomorphic, we cannot conclude upon any behaviour taken upon animals and relate it to humans, as they are biologically different (although in the case of rats and mice, very similar, hence providing some validity), it should be noted there are ethical concerns of this research, as it is causing damage to mice, the research is a lab experiment, and so although cause and effect can be established ecological validity is dramatically lowered; the mice may have behaved in different ways outside in their natural habitat.

Due to the weaknesses of this research we should analyse more research to gain more depth and understanding on the influence of testosterone on human aggression. Willie and Beier (1989) reported on the findings to reduce aggression in male sex offenders in a prison, located in Germany. It was observed 99 male criminals were surgically castrated (hence removing large quantities of testosterone from their system) and 35 criminals were released without the castration (retaining their previous testosterone state). It was found just 3% of the criminals who were castrated re-offended over the measured ten year period and within the no-treatment group, 35 criminals re-offended. This provides strong support for the conclusion testosterone influences male aggression, however we cannot conclude testosterone is the only factor. If testosterone was the only cause of aggression the other 54% of the 35 criminals would have re-offended. We can therefore not ignore environmental factors and label this study too, as reductionist. This research by Willie and Beier is also correlational, this means we cannot directly infer cause and effect, showing other factors may have influenced the behaviour, limiting the conclusion we can draw from this research and lowering the validity. It must be noted the sample size of this research was also not of extreme significance and so this lessons the reliability of the observation.

Although it seems testosterone does have some kind of influence upon the triggering of human aggression, there are other biological approaches we can examine to further gauge this view. Gur et al (2002) wanted to examine the neurological imposes of aggressive behaviour. His research focused on the frontal lobe of the brain which is believed to extent, control emotional behaviour. In his research he compared the limbic areas of the brain (associated with aggression) in 57 males and 59 females to assess human aggression, such as the amygdale and hippocampus. He found the volume of these parts of the brain were very similar, except he found the orbital frontal cortex of the brain was larger in females than the males. He therefore concluded females have greater control over their aggressive impulses and behaviour in general than males, showing why males may commit more aggressive behaviour (supported by Gullotta’s research). The sample size of this study again, was admittedly small, lowering reliability, but it does provide strong suggestions that biology influences human aggressive behaviour.

W can also compare genetical differences in males to observe what effects this may have on human aggressive behaviour. Sandberg (1961) found the chromosome 46- XY is the most prevalent karyotype gene among individuals. However, he found 1/1000 men have the chromosome 46-XYY. He thought the extra ‘Y’ gave males more masculine features, such as a triangular shape and square chin which he associated with aggressive behaviour. Further research into this view was undertaken by Nanko (1978). He conducted a study in which he views nine Japanese male juvenile delinquents with the chromosome 47-XYY and six who had the chromosome 47-XXY. He saw the males with the extra ‘Y’ were more active and portrayed more aggressive behaviour than the males with the extra ‘X’. He therefore concluded the extra ‘X’ is associated with calmer behaviour and the extra ‘Y’, with aggressive behaviour. This study does provide support for the role of genetical factors in human aggressive behaviour but it should be noted all his participants were delinquents, and so had performed some act of aggressive behaviour, the research is once again correlational, finding it hard to infer cause and effect (and the fact no one really knows why the extra ‘Y’ may cause aggressive behaviour) and due to the small sample size, specific age group and ethnicity of the participants, is not representative of the general population.

From this essay we can view than biological factors are likely to have an influence on human aggressive behaviour. However, most of the research conducted is andocentric, thus focusing on males more than females, this means we cannot apply the research directly to females, and it has been seen other factors must influence aggressive behaviour. We should probably look more towards a ‘diathesis-stress approach’, showing there may be some kind of biological disposition to aggressive behaviour that is then triggered by an environmental factor, thus removing reductionism and providing a more multi-dimensional approach."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This essay isn't perfect, I could have mentioned social or cultural factors, and some of grammar and spelling is wrong. But knock out three of these and you have an A*!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
I'm currently doing A2 AQA spec A, and my school is doing paper 4 in January covering research methods, OCD, psychopathology. First question: how do I revise A2 reseach methods?! It's so confusing in terms of knowing what I will be asked on in the exam. Second question: I have just started OCD and only got a C on the first big essay question on the clinical characterstics, as it lacked depth. How far in advance did you start to write out these essay questions in preperation for the exam? I'm desperate to get an A but there is so much extra evaluation points or 'depth' that I need to achieve this. I'm starting to panic, please help!
I know it's been a year since the last post, but appreciate this so much! x
I'm an AS student and am about to do my first Psychology exam on 16th Jan.
I really want to aim to get at least an A or B and don't feel like I have enough time to be able to go through all three topics I need to revise which are Research Methods, Attachment and Memory. Have you got any tips that can help me ensure I'm revised well for the exam on time? Also, what sort of things do examiners mark on when it comes to like the 12 mark questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending