The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Uni accom fees -advice

Hi :biggrin:

Im due to start uni this september, i applied for accommodation and accepted the offer which was given to me.

37week contract at 155 per week (catered) .. having done a bit of quick maths this calculates to around £5.7k a year! :eek::eek:

Now i get a maintenance loan of roughly 3.3k and a grant of about 2k.. that combined won't even cover my accommodation fees! I went to the bank for an overdraft and they told me the maximum i would be allowed is 500 in my first year :angry:.

The first payment of 1.9k is due to come out of my bank 1st of october from the uni and I'm worried i won't have enough to live on. What can i do? Will uni demand the money for halls upfront and straight away? Or will they be willing to wait it out until i have the money! Very stressed and confused about all this :frown:
Reply 1
155 a week? 0.0. Is this London or something? I didn't realize catered cost that much. Most halls are like 80-100 and food should only be like 20-30 a week, catered halls seem way too expensive >.<

Do you get any bursaries? Thought about getting a job? any savings? Parents that can help?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Hey thanks for the reply

Yeah its £155 a week,and its not even in london! Its down south in west sussex.. i was really surprised about how expensive it was myself. En suite with food - a bit overpriced!

I did have a look around on the bursaries page at uni and was pleased to see that they give out £1070 or around that to students. I suppose that would help.

As for getting a job, i think i will have to at some point but i don't want to be a social reject and look for part time work in the evenings or weekends in my first week or something.

No savings, parents aren't really well off either... I suppose I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and drink tap water at freshers week :tongue:
Reply 3
I know someone who is doing sexy texting to fund his way through uni. Yah, Sexy texting.

Hes actually even managed to save some. O.o
Sexy texting..?

You mean he/she is on of those people at the back of newspapers?

Hmm.. i may have found the perfect job
Reply 5
Original post by christopher23
Sexy texting..?

You mean he/she is on of those people at the back of newspapers?

Hmm.. i may have found the perfect job

Yep..

Apparently he gets a lot of messages from 55 year old women who are virgins. He says its the funniest thing he's ever see/heard/done in his life. I think he's on around 75pence per text, he used to do the phone thing but when he moved into halls in his first year (he started during the summer) people got kinda freaked out by him because he never explained his work :P
Hey thanks for the reply

Yeah its £155 a week,and its not even in london! Its down south in west sussex.. i was really surprised about how expensive it was myself. En suite with food - a bit overpriced!

I did have a look around on the bursaries page at uni and was pleased to see that they give out £1070 or around that to students. I suppose that would help.

As for getting a job, i think i will have to at some point but i don't want to be a social reject and look for part time work in the evenings or weekends in my first week or something.

No savings, parents aren't really well off either... I suppose I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and drink tap water at freshers week :tongue:

I know, it is so expensive isn't it. I totally understand how you feel at the moment because im getting about 3500 maintenance loan and barely covers my rent. I'm not even getting a grant on top of that. You can't be worried about being a social reject. This has to come first. You just need to get your head down and look for a job if you're parents can't help you out. If people can't understand your situation then they just aren't worth your time. I know thats easy to say, but it's true, they really aren't. Is there any way you might be able to swap for cheaper accommodation? Like maybe going self catered instead?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Dont worry youre not on your own. My loan and grant (only £800 per year so basically around £230 each term) and my savings £600 wont be able to cover the cost of my accomodation alone! If i cant swap halls, ill just have to get a job even with a job im still going to struggle :frown:. I never knew brighton was so expensive!
Original post by Freshrose
Dont worry youre not on your own. My loan and grant (only £800 per year so basically around £230 each term) and my savings £600 wont be able to cover the cost of my accomodation alone! If i cant swap halls, ill just have to get a job even with a job im still going to struggle :frown:. I never knew brighton was so expensive!

How come you are getting such little maintenance loan? I never knew brighton was so expensive till I got my halls offer. I was in so much shock! Can't you get help from your family?
Reply 9
I wouldn't get catered; twice I've seen people go out to dinner and come back saying they'd rather cook for themselves.
Reply 10
Original post by Queenie_pie

How come you are getting such little maintenance loan? I never knew brighton was so expensive till I got my halls offer. I was in so much shock! Can't you get help from your family?

my maintainence loan is about the same as yours but my grant is £800 (around 230 each term so still not enough).

Me too, I had no clue, im going to learn to look at prices more carefully in future! Really hope the great wilkins is worth it though. I hope I can get help from family though otherwise im screwed. What flat are you in btw and what day are you moving in? Im in b1 :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
my maintainence loan is about the same as yours but my grant is £800 (around 230 each term so still not enough).

Me too, I had no clue, im going to learn to look at prices more carefully in future! Really hope the great wilkins is worth it though. I hope I can get help from family though otherwise im screwed. What flat are you in btw and what day are you moving in? Im in b1 :smile:

Oh right because I was gonna say! It's not that much at all is it? My parents freaked when I told them my maintenance loan isn't going to cover my rent! Yeah I hope so to. My parents are kindly going to help me out with the rent, but i have to get a job. Im in B7, probably near each other?I was going to move closer to uni starting but Im moving on the 17th september so I can use that week to go job hunting and get settled before uni starts. What are you studying by the way? x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12

Oh right because I was gonna say! It's not that much at all is it? My parents freaked when I told them my maintenance loan isn't going to cover my rent! Yeah I hope so to. My parents are kindly going to help me out with the rent, but i have to get a job. Im in B7, probably near each other?I was going to move closer to uni starting but Im moving on the 17th september so I can use that week to go job hunting and get settled before uni starts. What are you studying by the way? x

Mine too :frown: When I saw the monthly payments I was like ' what the f...?' Oh yay its probably the same building :smile:. Im moving on the 17th aswell should be easier to look for a job then and I want to explore the city aswell. Im studying pharmacy at mouslecoomb. You? x
Mine too :frown: When I saw the monthly payments I was like ' what the f...?' Oh yay its probably the same building :smile:. Im moving on the 17th aswell should be easier to look for a job then and I want to explore the city aswell. Im studying pharmacy at mouslecoomb. You? x

Oh great so will see you there? Probably is the same building. Im doing Critical Fine Art Practice at grand parade! So pretty far away from my campus! But journey to college doesnt look bad. Lived in london my whole life! Have you got facebook?
x
I know, it is so expensive isn't it. I totally understand how you feel at the moment because im getting about 3500 maintenance loan and barely covers my rent. I'm not even getting a grant on top of that. You can't be worried about being a social reject. This has to come first. You just need to get your head down and look for a job if you're parents can't help you out. If people can't understand your situation then they just aren't worth your time. I know thats easy to say, but it's true, they really aren't. Is there any way you might be able to swap for cheaper accommodation? Like maybe going self catered instead?

Yeah i know what you mean about it coming first and all that. Im scared that if things do carry on like this ill probably be sucked into getting a loan from the bank or end up getting a credit card... and thats just a digging an early grave into unmanageable debt :eek:. I guess thats the reason ill have to look for a job, but in this climate ill be lucky to get that!

Swapping accommodation did cross my mind, but I've paid the £150 booking fee, there are hundreds of students who didn't get halls accom this year and i guess i should just count myself lucky... if i want to swap, ill have to give away that room and then be put on a waiting list.. too much hassle and stress as uni is only just round the corner.

I know what you mean about people not understanding the situation. Just gonna see how it goes. Are you off to uni this year?
Yeah i know what you mean about it coming first and all that. Im scared that if things do carry on like this ill probably be sucked into getting a loan from the bank or end up getting a credit card... and thats just a digging an early grave into unmanageable debt :eek:. I guess thats the reason ill have to look for a job, but in this climate ill be lucky to get that!

Swapping accommodation did cross my mind, but I've paid the £150 booking fee, there are hundreds of students who didn't get halls accom this year and i guess i should just count myself lucky... if i want to swap, ill have to give away that room and then be put on a waiting list.. too much hassle and stress as uni is only just round the corner.

I know what you mean about people not understanding the situation. Just gonna see how it goes. Are you off to uni this year?

I know, I was so shocked by the amounts of people looking in the private sector because they got rejected for halls. Yeah Im going to brighton uni studying at grand parade. I got halls furthest away from my study site though which was annoying but hopefully will still be fun!

Quick Reply

Latest