The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by torr_x
hey, ive applied to Bath Spa and Bristol too :smile:

Awesome times! I'm waiting to get my welcome form in the post and then can go on Track. Very excited :biggrin:
Reply 61
Just had an email from Chichester saying that they are currently viewing my application and will let me know soon :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Debbie_xx
Just had an email from Chichester saying that they are currently viewing my application and will let me know soon :smile:

I've heard good things about Chichester :smile:
Hi everyone! Thought I'd better show my face as I'm applying for music :P

Is anyone else applying through CUKAS and UCAS??

I've applied to Bath Spa, Cardiff, Surrey & Bham for Uni's. Music college wise I've applied to the RCM, RWCMD and Bham Conservatoire :biggrin:

Anyone had any responses yet???
Reply 64
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Hi everyone! Thought I'd better show my face as I'm applying for music :P

Is anyone else applying through CUKAS and UCAS??

I've applied to Bath Spa, Cardiff, Surrey & Bham for Uni's. Music college wise I've applied to the RCM, RWCMD and Bham Conservatoire :biggrin:

Anyone had any responses yet???

offer from York and I've applied to Cardiff and Surrey too! :smile:
Original post by wren94
offer from York and I've applied to Cardiff and Surrey too! :smile:

Blimey that was speedy!! Bet you're a happy bunny to have an offer :smile:

Where's your first choice?? I loved Cardiff and really like Surrey too!
I'm a bit worried that I'm gonna get rejected from all apart from Bath Spa because of my AS grades (ABCD, taking subjects that I got ABD in to A2). I'm predicted AAC, but does anyone know if this is likely to count against me at Surrey & Cardiff as they ask for ABB...this is surely equivalent to AAC?? I am determined to get at least AAB to prove my biology teacher wrong... :P
Reply 66
Blimey that was speedy!! Bet you're a happy bunny to have an offer :smile:

Where's your first choice?? I loved Cardiff and really like Surrey too!
I'm a bit worried that I'm gonna get rejected from all apart from Bath Spa because of my AS grades (ABCD, taking subjects that I got ABD in to A2). I'm predicted AAC, but does anyone know if this is likely to count against me at Surrey & Cardiff as they ask for ABB...this is surely equivalent to AAC?? I am determined to get at least AAB to prove my biology teacher wrong... :P

Just a tad! When I got the email from track I thought it'd be about a mistake on my application form or something rather than an offer :L

That's a really hard question; probably Bristol. I mean I adore Cambridge, but it's not a realistic option to be honest and I got a brilliant vibe from Bristol :L Then York and Cardiff and then Surrey, just because I haven't visited Surrey and don't know an awful lot about it. :smile: What about you?

I think Cardiff officially state AAB-BBB with the average offer being ABB. I would've thought you'd be fine with those grades if you've got/are working towards grade 8? But I'm afraid I don't really know >.< have you tried emailing the Universities?
Reply 67
Heyy,
I've seen Surrey mentioned at lot here! I didn't have chance to visit on an open day but I looked online and liked the sound of it so I applied.

Has anyone been and can tell me what they thought of it so I have a better idea about it? :smile:
Love love love love love Surrey. That's all... :L Haha to be more precise, they've got a really well-rounded course, good facilities, close to London and the campus is lovely. I just got a really nice vibe & could see myself being there :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by blue_star221
Love love love love love Surrey. That's all... :L Haha to be more precise, they've got a really well-rounded course, good facilities, close to London and the campus is lovely. I just got a really nice vibe & could see myself being there :smile:

oooo that sounds so good!! lets just hope I get an offer then :s haha :smile:
Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by blue_star221

Yup. I really liked surrey too :biggrin: The campus was sooo green and they even had a lake!! Add in nice accommodation (especially at the new bit Manor Park) a fab sounding course, and sunny weather on the open day :P and it's a winner!! Not to mention that my grandparents live in Guildford literally 5 mins walk from the uni, so when I've got no money left from my student loan, I can go had have a hot (nice!) meal!!! :P
If you've been to Nottingham, campus wise they are quite similar! Music facilities at Surrey were v v good too IMO...
Original post by wren94
Just a tad! When I got the email from track I thought it'd be about a mistake on my application form or something rather than an offer :L

That's a really hard question; probably Bristol. I mean I adore Cambridge, but it's not a realistic option to be honest and I got a brilliant vibe from Bristol :L Then York and Cardiff and then Surrey, just because I haven't visited Surrey and don't know an awful lot about it. :smile: What about you?

I think Cardiff officially state AAB-BBB with the average offer being ABB. I would've thought you'd be fine with those grades if you've got/are working towards grade 8? But I'm afraid I don't really know >.< have you tried emailing the Universities?

Ahh Bristol...I was gonna apply there...I've heard really good things about it but the uni is too close for my liking-I live in southern Gloucestershire and it would take me 25 mins to get there...
Still waiting for that first email saying to check track...even a music college audition would be nice! Umm...uni wise probs either Cardiff or Surrey (both really lovely :biggrin:) then Bham then Bath Spa (insurance).

Thanks for advice re Cardiff...I have 2 grade 8s - one merit one distinction on clarinet & alto sax :biggrin: havent emailed them...will talk to my head of 6th and see what she thinks... Still aiming for a place at music college tho...
Reply 72
Yup. I really liked surrey too :biggrin: The campus was sooo green and they even had a lake!! Add in nice accommodation (especially at the new bit Manor Park) a fab sounding course, and sunny weather on the open day :P and it's a winner!! Not to mention that my grandparents live in Guildford literally 5 mins walk from the uni, so when I've got no money left from my student loan, I can go had have a hot (nice!) meal!!! :P
If you've been to Nottingham, campus wise they are quite similar! Music facilities at Surrey were v v good too IMO...

It sounds amazing!!! I just really hope I get an offer now!
I've only been able to visit Leeds and Lancaster of my choices but I really liked them too :smile:

I loved Manor Park! And I love the fact that GSA is now on campus, & they're going to be trying linking the Music/Drama departments together, which is a major win - I love music but I also love playing for shows :smile: Let's hope we get offers! Been having trouble with my reference but my application should be sent off no later than tomorrow!
Reply 74
I've got an audition for Canterbury Christ Church!! :smile:
Original post by Debbie_xx
I've got an audition for Canterbury Christ Church!! :smile:

I know one of the professors there :biggrin: the music department, the campus and town are very lovely. Good luck!
Reply 76
Original post by Fishbulb25
I know one of the professors there :biggrin: the music department, the campus and town are very lovely. Good luck!

Thanks :smile: I know a couple of people who go there to study music and they say its really good :biggrin:
Reply 77
Ahh Bristol...I was gonna apply there...I've heard really good things about it but the uni is too close for my liking-I live in southern Gloucestershire and it would take me 25 mins to get there...
Still waiting for that first email saying to check track...even a music college audition would be nice! Umm...uni wise probs either Cardiff or Surrey (both really lovely :biggrin:) then Bham then Bath Spa (insurance).

Thanks for advice re Cardiff...I have 2 grade 8s - one merit one distinction on clarinet & alto sax :biggrin: havent emailed them...will talk to my head of 6th and see what she thinks... Still aiming for a place at music college tho...

I can understand that :smile: I don't want to stay that close to home either :smile:
You'll get one soon I'm sure!! :biggrin:

Let me know how it goes? And awesome! See I haven't applied for any conservatoires and am a bit more of an 'academic' music person :L Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 78
I just got an offer from Surrey ^.^ gah! 3 more to go...
Reply 79
Original post by Fleet Foxes
Yay I've found a forum!
I'm thinking about applying in 2013, maybe 2012 still undecided.

Heres my conclusion and I've spend ages doing my research.

What University offers the best course for you?

I play Bass guitar Grade 8 standard and I've spend ages looking at University, I'm more performance based so overall I wanted to chose a conservatoire over a university but fortunately Goldsmiths caters for both.
I play piano and double bass just started but been playing Bass Guitar since I was 12.

Anyway..
All the Royal Conservatoire are meant to be really snobby, private educated people. I'm not saying public secondary pupils don't go there but I have heard they've literally laughed at some people compositions.. great university aye?
That was for the Royal College in London.

Anyway the course which offer bass guitar as a first instrument and to study popular music performance are;
1st Choice;
Goldsmith. ( Looks great, they've high entry requirements but they also have common sense, my GCSE's were poor. I went to college and did a BTEC in music and I'm working really hard should be able to achieve D* D* D* which make it perfect for me to get into. They shouldn't be too bothered about the past)
They're fairly high up on the league table and seem to be producing better graduates every year.
Also there performance course is very wide range, it's not set in stone like other university.
So I can cover Jazz and popular music rather than just one or the other.
They're situated in London as well which is a big factor for me. ( Also I can imagine many of the graduates being fairly normal and not too up their own ass, which you would expect from one of the royal conservatoire.

LIPA
Very hands on, you get lots of chances to perform and especially with bands outside of college. You seem to get to know everyone really quickly and the facility are the best in the country without a doubt.

Leeds College of Music.
I've heard great things about Leeds College of Music especially for the Jazz course however they're slowly falling down the league table. Every year, I don't think partnering with Bradford was a good idea at all.

These are the three options i've chosen so far.

if you're looking for a performance based degree, try for the BMus course at leeds. you have to be grade 8 distinction standard but if you were considering conservatoires i'm sure you will be!

Quick Reply

Latest