The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fralycis
Hey everyone, haven't posted in TSR in a while but I just saw this thread and had to post!
(Especially since there's a few people applying to roughly the same as me!! :biggrin:)

Well here goes:
Cambridge (Emmanuel)
Durham
Bristol
Edinburgh
Queen's, Belfast

No offers yet - getting anxious (just a bit!) How's everyone else?

Hey, 4 out 5 unis of ours are the same and I'm from the North so I probably should have applied to Queens, Belfast. Anyway, I was wondering have you sent away your work yet for Cambridge and if not what are you sending away.
Reply 141
Original post by bigflutetop
Hey, 4 out 5 unis of ours are the same and I'm from the North so I probably should have applied to Queens, Belfast. Anyway, I was wondering have you sent away your work yet for Cambridge and if not what are you sending away.

Yep, I just sent my Cambridge work off yesterday because of the tuesday 8th deadline for emma anyway!! I sent away an A2 contemporary music essay and my AS composition.
Not counting on getting an offer but really want to go there haha! What about you? :smile:
Reply 142
Yep, I just sent my Cambridge work off yesterday because of the tuesday 8th deadline for emma anyway!! I sent away an A2 contemporary music essay and my AS composition.
Not counting on getting an offer but really want to go there haha! What about you? :smile:

thank goodness for Pem's 18th Nov deadline! :L
Reply 143
Original post by wren94
thank goodness for Pem's 18th Nov deadline! :L

So jealous!! Since I've been off for this past week and back on tuesday, I had to get it all sorted before Halloween - really annoying, but it's a relief that it's all sorted now :smile:

And Pembroke is such a good choice, it was in my top 3... Was there shadowing an undergrad in february and it is literally so nice!
Reply 144
So jealous!! Since I've been off for this past week and back on tuesday, I had to get it all sorted before Halloween - really annoying, but it's a relief that it's all sorted now :smile:

And Pembroke is such a good choice, it was in my top 3... Was there shadowing an undergrad in february and it is literally so nice!

:L I'm glad about it because we didn't really write any essays for class last year :P congrats on getting it all sorted! :smile:
It is stunning city in general and the course there is amazing :smile: it's a long shot but I thought I might as well give it a go!
Reply 145
Original post by wren94
:L I'm glad about it because we didn't really write any essays for class last year :P congrats on getting it all sorted! :smile:
It is stunning city in general and the course there is amazing :smile: it's a long shot but I thought I might as well give it a go!

We generally don't do too much in music (unless that contains playing chopsticks, eating cake and drinking tea and discussing our school formal/prom !!)
Well, there is some work (I think!) but not on the scale of my other subjects - maths, physics, french...
Yeah, without sounding too desperate :tongue: , I so want to go and exactly, it's worth a shot! :smile:

P.S. However, would like to do more performance in the degree but can't have everything!
(edited 12 years ago)
We generally don't do too much in music (unless that contains playing chopsticks, eating cake and drinking tea and discussing our school formal/prom !!)

Sounds exactly like my own AS and A2 years :biggrin:
Reply 147
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sounds exactly like my own AS and A2 years :biggrin:

Ahh, the joys of A-level music... possibly one of the things I will miss most (especially with 13 doing A2, 18 did AS!) Having generally incompetent teachers that enjoy having a good laugh and discussing how "productive" our nights out are haha! I think it's a universal truth for all music students :biggrin:
Ahh, the joys of A-level music... possibly one of the things I will miss most (especially with 13 doing A2, 18 did AS!) Having generally incompetent teachers that enjoy having a good laugh and discussing how "productive" our nights out are haha! I think it's a universal truth for all music students :biggrin:

13 people did A2 in your school? Wow! :eek:

Don't worry. I'm sure if you get into Cambridge, you can encourage your DoS to give you tea and have a good laugh. We used to go out drinking with our tutors and there was one tutor I had where we just ate cake studied very hard :yep: :ninja: :yep:
Reply 149
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
13 people did A2 in your school? Wow! :eek:

Don't worry. I'm sure if you get into Cambridge, you can encourage your DoS to give you tea and have a good laugh. We used to go out drinking with our tutors and there was one tutor I had where we just ate cake studied very hard :yep: :ninja: :yep:

When you have to account for the entourage of "musicians", thinking they're God's gift, it does add up in the end, and makes better conversation haha!
Well, considering out formal was this week, I can almost guarantee all of next week being the aftermath discussion of dates, dresses and drink...
Wow, your tutors seem great - hey, you can do well in music by doing little work for most of the year (as my class SOMEHOW proved...)

(Bring back proper grade 8 theory trio sonatas figured bass for them... then they'd know how to "deserve" their Grade A's etc... ... :biggrin: )
Reply 150
Well, there is some work (I think!) but not on the scale of my other subjects - maths, physics, french...
Yeah, without sounding too desperate :tongue: , I so want to go and exactly, it's worth a shot! :smile:

P.S. However, would like to do more performance in the degree but can't have everything!

Haha, some lessons we do so little that it's painful :L we have 20 doing A2 music :')
I do a lot more reading around my subject and extra bits and bobs for music than my other subjects though (maths and physics too)

P.P.S. I'm only applying for courses with little to no formal performance requirements :L :smile: I'm a theory girl (:
Reply 151
Original post by wren94
Haha, some lessons we do so little that it's painful :L we have 20 doing A2 music :')
I do a lot more reading around my subject and extra bits and bobs for music than my other subjects though (maths and physics too)

P.P.S. I'm only applying for courses with little to no formal performance requirements :L :smile: I'm a theory girl (:

:O 20 is a huge number for A2 music, I thought 13 was loads, compared to most schools having around 5 haha! Yeah, trying to do lots of reading for interest but work ethic is failing a bit this past week...
Interesting you don't want to do performance - I really like both... what theory do you do atm?
Still would want to do an academic degree before hopefully music college performance postgrad. (Well, that's the plan... A few weeks ago, I was still deciding between Music and Engineering!! :biggrin: )
Reply 152
:O 20 is a huge number for A2 music, I thought 13 was loads, compared to most schools having around 5 haha! Yeah, trying to do lots of reading for interest but work ethic is failing a bit this past week...
Interesting you don't want to do performance - I really like both... what theory do you do atm?
Still would want to do an academic degree before hopefully music college performance postgrad. (Well, that's the plan... A few weeks ago, I was still deciding between Music and Engineering!! :biggrin: )

20 for A2 and there were two classes of 18/19 for AS which is huge :L if I'd stayed at my old school there would've been 3 for AS and possibly just me for A2 :L
I'm doing AMusTCL Theory at the moment :smile: grade 8 flute, grade 5 piano, and did my grade 3 singing when I was 11 :L
Nice plan! I have a feeling I'm going to be a perpetual student to be honest, I love learning about music ^.^ recently though, I have been lacking focus a bit in my other subjects because I know that music's what I want to study and I just want to get on and do it now! :biggrin::colondollar:
Original post by wren94
20 for A2 and there were two classes of 18/19 for AS which is huge :L if I'd stayed at my old school there would've been 3 for AS and possibly just me for A2 :L
I'm doing AMusTCL Theory at the moment :smile: grade 8 flute, grade 5 piano, and did my grade 3 singing when I was 11 :L
Nice plan! I have a feeling I'm going to be a perpetual student to be honest, I love learning about music ^.^ recently though, I have been lacking focus a bit in my other subjects because I know that music's what I want to study and I just want to get on and do it now! :biggrin::colondollar:

Wren94! How are you?? I havent posted for agggesss!! Have you had any more offers?? I'm stressing about Cardiff slightly...the unexpected awaits!! :P Have you sent back your form yet?? x
Reply 154
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Wren94! How are you?? I havent posted for agggesss!! Have you had any more offers?? I'm stressing about Cardiff slightly...the unexpected awaits!! :P Have you sent back your form yet?? x

Beanstalkgirl_24! How are you? Since the last time we posted, no, I don't think so :L (2 offers, an interview and a generic letter with what an interview'll entail if I get one :L) what about you!? Cardiff is stressing me out too at the moment >.< I haven't sent it off yet, no, as I can't for the life of me think of something to play! I have loads of accompanied pieces I could do though, so I was going to send an email asking if it'd be okay to play one of those unaccompanied or not... have you sent yours off yet? xxx

I'm sooo glad its not just me who thinks I do sod all in music!! Are you on the OCR exam board? We've started our set works, but all we've done for Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique is listen to it and say how cool it is :P :cool: Then our music teacher will walk off and do some photocopying... which leaves just about time for cake, and to tell him that we haven't done the essay that he set us before the summer holidays. :tongue: :wink: How I got an A at AS I'll never know...
Reply 156
Original post by wren94

O.O I think once I get my Grade 8 theory, I'll most likely stop there! (which won't be until march anyway)... ATCL Clarinet and grade 7 piano in march too...
Shall be a fun exam season after what already is a busy enough january A2 exam session...

I know exactly that feeling, once the whole UCAS nightmare is gone, you just want to concentrate on your useful subject! I even question why I'm still doing 4 subjects when UCAS form sent seems so decisive! What do you want to do after degree? :smile:
Reply 157
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
I'm sooo glad its not just me who thinks I do sod all in music!! Are you on the OCR exam board? We've started our set works, but all we've done for Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique is listen to it and say how cool it is :P :cool: Then our music teacher will walk off and do some photocopying... which leaves just about time for cake, and to tell him that we haven't done the essay that he set us before the summer holidays. :tongue: :wink: How I got an A at AS I'll never know...

I love the Berlioz <3 and the Strauss ^.^ We went to the Royal Festival Hall a couple of weeks ago with college to see the LPO play the Strauss:love:
Reply 158
O.O I think once I get my Grade 8 theory, I'll most likely stop there! (which won't be until march anyway)... ATCL Clarinet and grade 7 piano in march too...
Shall be a fun exam season after what already is a busy enough january A2 exam session...

I know exactly that feeling, once the whole UCAS nightmare is gone, you just want to concentrate on your useful subject! I even question why I'm still doing 4 subjects when UCAS form sent seems so decisive! What do you want to do after degree? :smile:

:lol: I did grade 6 in January, grade 8 in June and now AMus :L madness.... oh WOW, that's mighty impressive :smile: I wish I was better at performance :frown:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this! I started doing 6 subjects last year, quickly dropped to 5, then 4, now 3 :') post degree urmmm something behind the scenes at the BBC maybe or an orchestra? Research? Teaching? I'm not sure :') what are you hoping to do post music college?
Reply 159
Original post by wren94
:lol: I did grade 6 in January, grade 8 in June and now AMus :L madness.... oh WOW, that's mighty impressive :smile: I wish I was better at performance :frown:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this! I started doing 6 subjects last year, quickly dropped to 5, then 4, now 3 :') post degree urmmm something behind the scenes at the BBC maybe or an orchestra? Research? Teaching? I'm not sure :') what are you hoping to do post music college?

Wowww, you move fast! I've been doing Grade 8 theory for like 3-ish years now hehe (it's becoming tougher to avoid my teacher forcing me into doing the exam hall!) But, my theory class just have such interesting conversation (on usually something unrelated... :P )
Not that impressive, wish I was godly at piano though! (getting there... one day... )
6!!! :O Crazy stuff - I just did 4 AS and kept them on to A2... Yes, I'm not the Einstein material that half this forum seem to be :ninja: I'm definitely doing teaching and professional freelance?

Quick Reply

Latest