The Student Room Group

Dreams or reality vs Dreams and reality

Hey ,

my situation is a bit complex but probably only at the first sight. I just got my masters in Poland, where I finished the interdisciplinary individual humanistic studies (mainly political science and philosophy). During the studies I developed a very strong interest for international relations and political economy, which made me realise, that it would be my dream later on to work academically in this field.

I wanted to start a PHD course this year but it wasn´t possible for some reasons: my university isn´t recognised by universities which have top positions in international rankings and my writing and research skills in english are not satisfying enough, at least so far. Now I got a place at Aberystwyth University, I am going to study there International Politics and Economic and Social history.

I think heavily about my future all the time and would like to ask you about your impressions. I am 24 years old and aware that it is kind of late to start another university course, but without it I´d need to forget about any dreams of a scientific career. I studied in Poland that long because I lived for 16 years in Germany and my written polish was poor- I thought having one more language on a solid level and a master title may help me much but maybe I exaggerated a bit with the length of my studies. I have two language certificates in german.

Would you rather say: stick to your dreams and realise it,
"Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did."(these are actually the thoughts which dominate myself- I started to love international politics and economy so strongly that I will always regrett not to even tried to succeed in these fields) or give it up, find a normal job or engage in polish-german relations.

Sorry for the length, hopefully it is not too chaotic- thanks for your help!
Stick with it :smile:. OK. I may be partial, because I lived in Aberystwyth and studied International Politics and Strategic Studies, but I would say 'go for it'. When I did my undergrad degree, we had people from the ages of 18 to people in their 50s, so it's never too late!
Being 32, I went back to Uni for a Masters a few years back, and am now starting another one, because I didn't get to start a PhD because of failing to find a supervisor. OK, it is a detour, but it is still going to be a good experience. And no doubt your experiences, and background, will benefit you on both the course and your future job. And I agree, it is a lot better to regret something that you did, than wonder 'what if' - plus there's plenty of time to find that 'normal job' in the end!
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply, very helpful! what about other commentaries? :smile:
Reply 3
hmm...
Reply 4
Not sure what you're asking? You're only 24.... if you don't have the qualifications yet to enter your chosen career, and can afford the cost of obtaining those qualifications, then what's stopping you? You don't say whether you're taking a Masters or a PhD. If the former, then it's only a year and, despite the cost, it's worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending