The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by salty_candy
I think I'm going to interrail it up at some point round Europe, but haven't actually decided on where exactly to go (besides Germany, to visit my friend and Poland to see the concentration camps.. maybe somewhere a bit more cheerful too :tongue: )
Though, I'm the least street-wise person ever and will probably get myself killed roaming around random countries on my own. :colondollar: Then hopefully do some volunteering a bit further afield, depending on how much money I can manage to save up etc, got any plans?

Nope, not yet. I have plenty of time to decide, i think. There's always more to plan than I think lol. But Europe is looking good so far for me too. :smile:
I'm trying to re-enrol back into my school and asking whether I have to attend all lessons because I already have a part time job on weekdays and I will do better through private study i.e. studying at home. But, I think I'll have to attend lessons which is kind of a waste of time for me, because I was initially predicted an A in chemistry and now I achieved a B grade, so I just need to really revise myself. Although, I just want to go to school to do end of topic tests and mocks. :P Sighhhhhhhhhhhh
Hey

how much will a resit cost if your just self teaching??
Reply 63
Nm.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Interesting points,

Original post by cwd12
Was it TEFL? causee someone told me about it today and I think I saw it on the sta travel website in the gap year part but now I can't find it!

Here you go: http://statravel.i-to-i.com/tefl-courses

Let me know if you need any more information :smile:
Reply 65
Why are you resitting the year: Didnt get any offers for the course I wanted. Grades: A*AAB (4 ums away from A*'s in both A subjects - not that it matters considering I was predicted that and still didn't get any offers)
What course are you applying for: economics
What universities do you have in mind: durham, soas, exeter, york and bath
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: find a job and volunteer. Improve my grades maybe to A*A*AB.
Reply 66
Original post by sr90
Same here. What uni/course would that be, out of interest?

Despite getting 90% UMS in all of my summer exams (AAB overall), i missed out by a grand total of 3 UMS because OCR heavily marked down my coursework. Its been a week and i'm finally starting to stop feeling sorry for myself and accept whats happened. For all i know, i may like the uni i'm going to :smile:

economics, rejected by LSE (waste of my life ¬¬), bath, birmingham, nottingham and warwick. Managed to phone nottingham up back in feb/march and they offered me a place for industrial economics instead.

aww man that sucks. everyday I think about whats happened to me this year and I keep putting myself down. I tried applying to loads of gap year schemes back in march/april and I didn't get into any so I can't help but think that there must be a reason why every attempt I make to get away from doing this course always leads me back to it when I don't want to do it at all.

where are you going? (sorry if you wrote it previously in the thread, must have missed it :s-smilie:)
Reply 67
I got into uni, but i've just dropped out. After spending a summer thinking about it, I want to study in england. I've lived in glasgow all my life, and although I've traveled a lot, I feel I need a change. Also after thinking about it I feel that the course wasn't right for me. I applied to electronic and electrical engineering and physics and chose engineering simply because I naively took peoples advice saying engineering is a better degree. And although I like the subject, my passion is physics and I don't think I should give up on something simply on some speculated hear say about it not being as good as engineering.

I've already emailed unis about entry requirements and so far UCL, Royal holloway, Manchester, Sussex and Queen Mary have all said my application would be taken into consideration. I've always loved london and I would love to experience the london student life.
Original post by cwd12
Well I could definitely do with some help learning. But how could you help? (I know how ridiculously rude that sounded, sorry, I hope you understand what I mean) :smile:

Was it TEFL? causee someone told me about it today and I think I saw it on the sta travel website in the gap year part but now I can't find it!

It didn't sound rude! Haha, not at all. No, I meant if you decide to learn French or Spanish then I could explain some of the more difficult (and annoying...) concepts for new learners. I used to teach the GCSE class when I was doing my A-levels and I currently tutor some private A-level kids on the weekends.

Look at me selling my services for free! I'm such a hussy. :mmm:

Btw I would definitely explain what I'll be doing in my gap year even if it's just briefly. Especially if you are doing a science, engineering, maths, or languages degree where it is very easy to fall behind and become outdated w.r.t to subject material. That's actually one of the reasons unis dislike Maths applicants who defer w/o a reason! So yeah, just explain that you'll be doing something constructive and beneficial to your chosen subject. Otherwise it looks a little lazy.

Original post by U.S Lecce
x

Are you retaking? If so, did you ask them whether they look down on retakers? I'm currently drafting some e-mails for the unis I'm interested in. :colondollar:

Original post by sr90
This is assuming my college will let me resit my coursework. Does anyone know if this is possible? Considering i got very high UMS in all my summer exams and have a good set of notes, i really cannot see how going back to lessons will benefit me :s-smilie:

What subject is it for? Because when I was going through exam centres I knew that some of them did allow private candidates to do coursework at their centres but the catch is that you would have to pay extra (like £30) to bring in an external examiner. That was definitely the rule for the sciences (coursework practicals) and for languages (oral exams). And why would you have to go back to lessons? You can just say you are paying a private tutor and are studying at home for the one subject. :smile:
Why are you resitting the year: Missed out on my A in Law and for some reason my history coursework was extremelt bad
What course are you applying for: Law/Psychology
What universities do you have in mind: Warwick, Kings College, Kent, Exeter, St Andrews
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Do 3 more AS subjects and possibly some travelling
Reply 70
Original post by Strüberry
x

No I'm not retaking because I've got the grades to get in already, however someone was asking if they look down on retakers in another thread the other day and basically everyone said most unis excluding possibly oxbridge and perhaps a few other top uni will not look down on retakes...............providing you do well of course.:smile:
Reply 71
It didn't sound rude! Haha, not at all. No, I meant if you decide to learn French or Spanish then I could explain some of the more difficult (and annoying...) concepts for new learners. I used to teach the GCSE class when I was doing my A-levels and I currently tutor some private A-level kids on the weekends.

Look at me selling my services for free! I'm such a hussy. :mmm:

Btw I would definitely explain what I'll be doing in my gap year even if it's just briefly. Especially if you are doing a science, engineering, maths, or languages degree where it is very easy to fall behind and become outdated w.r.t to subject material. That's actually one of the reasons unis dislike Maths applicants who defer w/o a reason! So yeah, just explain that you'll be doing something constructive and beneficial to your chosen subject. Otherwise it looks a little lazy.

Oh no I'm applying for maths! That didn't fill me with hope. But glad you said it, now I know I have to explain it well in my PS. But what would you say are constructive things that I can put down, because sometimes saying your going to do 'this' and 'that' just sounds like your trying to bs your way in with no intention to actually do those things. Also I would say I'm planning to do construtive things (eg travelling) but nothing really beneficial to my subject as maths isn't one that you can really get work experience in etc.

And help would be amazing I will definitely be taking you up on that offer. Would you be able to reccomend where I would actually go about starting?

With regards to travelling. I was saying to friend that I'm not keen on the idea of going by myself but none of my friends would be interested. She said she thinks connections organise groups so you can go in a big group of people you don't know. (I genuinely don't know if this is true or not) But it made me think, would it be really weird for people on tsr to organise a group? (Maybe it is really creepy I dont know and I'm just speculating :smile:)
x

History, so two essays. I think the questions change every year, so i'd have to start again from scratch.

I guess i'm expecting the worst because my college were so horrible to me about getting a remark. I'm going to go and ask when their new term starts on Thursday (where on earth did the summer go?).

Original post by angelic03
x

Sorry to hear that, i've heard about how competitive Economics is :hugs:

I understand if you have no interest in doing the course but look on the bright side, Nottingham isn't the worst place in the world to end up for a year! I'm guessing money isn't an issue for you either, why would it be with an Economics degree from the level of uni you're applying to :wink:

Mines in Cardiff. I know its still a pretty respected uni but i have no idea how i'm going to handle it - i'm not the biggest fan of their course and i'll be so far away from everyone, at least with the northern unis i've got family up there. I'm going to at least give it a try though and see what happens!

Original post by nooneyouknow
x

Oh i'm sorry :jumphug:

What board was your History coursework with? Me and my friend have both missed our offers (Leeds/Warwick for me and Bristol for her) because ours were heavily moderated down. :frown:
Reply 73
Original post by salty_candy
I think I'm going to interrail it up at some point round Europe, but haven't actually decided on where exactly to go (besides Germany, to visit my friend and Poland to see the concentration camps.. maybe somewhere a bit more cheerful too :tongue: )
Though, I'm the least street-wise person ever and will probably get myself killed roaming around random countries on my own. :colondollar: Then hopefully do some volunteering a bit further afield, depending on how much money I can manage to save up etc, got any plans?

Im really liking the sound of europe as it seems like it needs a lot less planning and a lot less money but still seems like a really good idea!
Reply 74
Hi, I really need some advice :frown:
I needed AAB to get into my firm choice, Warwick, and I got A*AB but needed an A in French rather than the B :frown: i'm into my insurance choice Birmingham but I'm not sure I want to go there and it's unlikely I'll get any university accomodation (one of the only things I was excited about).
Do you guys think I should reapply? Bearing in mind I have nothing to do during the year out
Original post by Pie257
x

Hey i'm in the exact same situation - have AAB, my Warwick offer was AAB but with an A in History. I wouldn't have anything to do on a gap year either (unemployed so can't go travelling, and most of my friends are leaving so i'd be on my lonesome).

How big an issue is money for you? I'd give Birmingham a try, its natural to be worried but u could have an awesome time there! Arrange resits before u leave and Birmingham don't have to know ur reapplying for other unis, so if it doesnt work out u still have that option :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by sr90
X

Thanks, the fee hike is a big deterrent for me, but being alone and bored for a year seems worse, I don't know what I'd do with myself. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll try Birmingham out and reapply if I hate it :/
Original post by Pie257
Thanks, the fee hike is a big deterrent for me, but being alone and bored for a year seems worse, I don't know what I'd do with myself. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll try Birmingham out and reapply if I hate it :/

Definitely. Give it until christmas and if you really haven't settled in or you don't like the course, go home for the hols and don't come back. Thats what i'm planning, if we like our unis then thats an added bonus isn't it :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by Pie257
Hi, I really need some advice :frown:
I needed AAB to get into my firm choice, Warwick, and I got A*AB but needed an A in French rather than the B :frown: i'm into my insurance choice Birmingham but I'm not sure I want to go there and it's unlikely I'll get any university accomodation (one of the only things I was excited about).
Do you guys think I should reapply? Bearing in mind I have nothing to do during the year out

I agree with the other poster. Try it.

My boyfriend's from Birmingham and he took me up to visit last month. It's really an amazing place and I wish I could live there, be it in a student capacity or not!

Plus, if like me you're a country girl, there is something absolutely mind blowing about the Bull Ring!
Original post by cwd12
Oh no I'm applying for maths! That didn't fill me with hope. But glad you said it, now I know I have to explain it well in my PS. But what would you say are constructive things that I can put down, because sometimes saying your going to do 'this' and 'that' just sounds like your trying to bs your way in with no intention to actually do those things. Also I would say I'm planning to do construtive things (eg travelling) but nothing really beneficial to my subject as maths isn't one that you can really get work experience in etc.

And help would be amazing I will definitely be taking you up on that offer. Would you be able to reccomend where I would actually go about starting?

With regards to travelling. I was saying to friend that I'm not keen on the idea of going by myself but none of my friends would be interested. She said she thinks connections organise groups so you can go in a big group of people you don't know. (I genuinely don't know if this is true or not) But it made me think, would it be really weird for people on tsr to organise a group? (Maybe it is really creepy I dont know and I'm just speculating :smile:)

Ooh, yikes. I thought you were applying for one of the humanities! Well you can take a two-pronged approach to explain how you'll spend your gap year. Split the year into two parts: one for Mathsy stuff and one for "personal growth" stuff. Makes you look more well-rounded imo. I agree with what you said about looking like you're BS'ing as well so dont mention too many things......take two relevant/interesting ideas and develop them well. Avoid introducing them with too many "I will" or "I plan" sentences as well because that looks pretentious and insincere. "I have secured a blah blah..." looks more genuine and impressive.

Part 1 - le maths. You could say you are tutoring younger students in maths if you can arrange that? That's what I'll be doing for my application to avoid becoming a little rusty in my abilities during my year off. Shows initiative, responsibility + interest in maths. If you did bad in A-level maths, you can teach GCSE people instead. :yes:

Part 2 - personal growth. Here's where you could mention learning a new language, travelling plans or getting a job. Shows you're proactive, confident, sensible with money and pretty social etc which is important because universities don't just want A*A*A* robots. They want fun people who can also contribute to their university socially.

Does that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling a lot. :colonhash:

As for learning a language, which one are you most interested in? If I were you I'd get a student dictionary, grammar book and download some awesome films with subtitles. That's how I self taught myself Spanish lol. Practise, practise, practise! Also you can listen to music genres that you like in Spanish so you get a feel for the accent and pronounciation. Much more fun than slaving over verbs and tenses. :tongue:

The TSR meet thing sounds kinda interesting too. Could work quite nicely well if people posted regularly in the thread and got to know each other. Especially if we all hopefully get unconditionals in March and get even more free time. We'll see! :cute: