The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
History, so two essays. I think the questions change every year, so i'd have to start again from scratch.

I guess i'm expecting the worst because my college were so horrible to me about getting a remark. I'm going to go and ask when their new term starts on Thursday (where on earth did the summer go?).

What is it with colleges loving you and then suddenly treating like crap after you've left?! I haven't seen one person who wasn't worrying about what their school would say. And summer died on the 18th lol. Looking outside you'd think it was November with all this hail and rain. :sad:

Original post by U.S Lecce
No I'm not retaking because I've got the grades to get in already, however someone was asking if they look down on retakers in another thread the other day and basically everyone said most unis excluding possibly oxbridge and perhaps a few other top uni will not look down on retakes...............providing you do well of course.:smile:

Thank you. Quite reassuring. :h:
Reply 81
Original post by Strüberry
What is it with colleges loving you and then suddenly treating like crap after you've left?! I haven't seen one person who wasn't worrying about what their school would say. And summer died on the 18th lol. Looking outside you'd think it was November with all this hail and rain. :sad:

My 6th Form was like this- ignored me as soon as I said I wasn't going to uni.

However, as soon as I took up my A-Level at my new college, they were so helpful. Provided me with careers advice on the phone, and the exams office have been amazing at chasing my results when it all went to poo with AQA.

RE: resits- best to check with the Universities. Around september last year, a thread popped up with a list of those that people had contacted and had information on what each had done. Most unis are fine, but some of the top ones look down on it, and certain subjects have issues with it as well i.e. medicine on occasion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why are you resitting the year: I decided I wanted to do a gap year, so I rejected my Psychology offers, and am going to reapply for Theology :smile:
What course are you applying for: Theology
What universities do you have in mind: Durham, Bristol, KCL, Birmingham and Cardiff
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Well, I was ill during exams, so I didn't manage to do them all. Luckily, I was doing 5 A Levels, so I've still got 3 to apply to university with. I'm going to sit those two A Levels in January exams, then I'm going to Argentina for 6 months. :smile:
So until then, I need to get in my uni application, do some revision, and LOTS of spanish!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JuggerJay
I'm taking an unplanned gap year...still rather tentative about it actually :/
got BBB when i was expected to get AAB so i'm just going to grill myself till jan and get those grades with 4 exams at least. After that...i'll plan then :P And then...Pharmacy XD *i hope*

This^...Except I only need one exam and resubmit one badly marked coursework. What subjects did you do?
Reply 84
Original post by Space'n'Time
This^...Except I only need one exam and resubmit one badly marked coursework. What subjects did you do?

I did bio, chem and psych...yourself? Glad I didn't have coursework or that would've been the death of me :colondollar: doing four to stay on the safe side and just hope none are required in june :smile:
Reply 85
Yes, I probably am.... for some reason I listened to my parents who told me to take a gap year.....!!! I got A* A* A.... I have a place for Southampton Uni this year, and one for Durham in 2012 to read Spanish (and linguistics) - should I got to Soton this year or Durham next?!"?? HELP!
Reply 86
p.s. who else is pissed at David Cameron for being a selfish bastard and changing the fees!?!?!?! AAAARGH!
Reply 87
Original post by nooneyouknow
Why are you resitting the year: Missed out on my A in Law and for some reason my history coursework was extremelt bad
What course are you applying for: Law/Psychology
What universities do you have in mind: Warwick, Kings College, Kent, Exeter, St Andrews
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Do 3 more AS subjects and possibly some travelling

I'm looking to apply to the same places, but i'm not sure how they feel about re-applicants? Why 3 more AS subjects?
Reply 88
Original post by skunky x
My 6th Form was like this- ignored me as soon as I said I wasn't going to uni.

However, as soon as I took up my A-Level at my new college, they were so helpful. Provided me with careers advice on the phone, and the exams office have been amazing at chasing my results when it all went to poo with AQA.

RE: resits- best to check with the Universities. Around september last year, a thread popped up with a list of those that people had contacted and had information on what each had done. Most unis are fine, but some of the top ones look down on it, and certain subjects have issues with it as well i.e. medicine on occasion.

do you have a link for this thread?
Why are you resitting the year: Got AAB... and a D in chem so missed my offer! also doing eng lang a level in a year as a back up
What course are you applying for: Medicine/with a foundation year /maybe english or journalism? varied I know!
What universities do you have in mind: UEA, Southampton, Hull, York, and don't know where else!
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Revision, try and do chemistry resits all in january so only english exams in summer then after that continue working as a healthcare advisor, getting work exp and a well deserved holiday away!
Reply 90
I don't really know if this should be in the Medicine board or here, but here goes. It's sort of reassuring to see people in a similar position to me... I got 4 rejections without interview for Medicine :frown: However, from my 4th rejection I decided that if my A2 results were good I would take a year out and reapply. I got A*A*AA, so that's what I'm doing. I'm just a bit stumped on what to do... I don't want to come across as lazy, but getting a job and/or travelling abroad is easier said than done, plus I want to do something that gives me relevant experience to talk about in an interview, and that I will enjoy too.

Basically, so far I've got some long term work experience and volunteering arranged, maybe with more to come, on top of what I already did... things like St. John Ambulance, and a placement with a nurse led research team. But I feel that once the rush of application is over then I won't have all that much to do, and I'll probably waste a lot of time gaming. For once I'd like to do something productive, I feel like I should be improving my extra curriculars or something since really all I have is music... I'm also going to apply more tactically, since last year I applied to 2 BMAT unis and got a crap BMAT score.

Any ideas on if I'm going about my year out the right way? Help is always appreciated :P
Reply 91
Original post by sr90
Remember talking to you about this before, i'm sorry to hear your remark didn't go to plan :jumphug:

Oh well, Leeds' loss will be someone elses gain right? I'm sure they don't mind reapplicants but i'm not going to bother with them again tbh. Right now i think i'm going to apply for Warwick, Sheffield, Manchester, Lancaster and Birmingham (History/History & Politics). Obviously i'll withdraw if i end up liking the place i do have :smile:

This is assuming my college will let me resit my coursework. Does anyone know if this is possible? Considering i got very high UMS in all my summer exams and have a good set of notes, i really cannot see how going back to lessons will benefit me :s-smilie:

I was gutted at the time but I kinda feel better now :smile:

Totally Leeds' loss! When I become a hotshot barrister they'll realise their mistake! I'm thinking of Newcastle, Nottingham, UCL, Queen Mary and Leeds as a backup only. I was seriously considering History or Politics if I wasn't doing Law as a degree (I did both as A levels). What did you find on Clearing?
Original post by Omiclops
I was gutted at the time but I kinda feel better now :smile:

Totally Leeds' loss! When I become a hotshot barrister they'll realise their mistake! I'm thinking of Newcastle, Nottingham, UCL, Queen Mary and Leeds as a backup only. I was seriously considering History or Politics if I wasn't doing Law as a degree (I did both as A levels). What did you find on Clearing?

Cardiff. I know its still a decent uni but i have no idea how i will cope. I'm not the biggest fan of the course plus i will be so far away from everyone! Going to give it a try and see how i last, if it doesn't work out i'm confident i will get offers again for next year :smile:

I think i've decided on 4 choices already. Warwick and Sheffield made me offers last year and they've both said i won't be treated any differently applying again, Lancaster have said 1 resit is fine, and i'm awaiting a response from Birmingham. Just need a 5th now, there are several i'm considering.

Will have to heavily alter my PS from last year though. Can't say i'm looking forward to that :laugh:
i am toying with the idea of taking a gap year. I missed my firm by a mile - i needed AAB to study law at Reading but acheived BCD. :frown: decided i didnt want to go my insurance at all, so went through clearing. I've never experienced any thing like it, it was crazy!

I'm actually 2 marks of an A in sociology, 2 marks off a B in health and social care, and 9 marks off a C in business. I've had all three papers sent off for remarks so fingers crossed that i will get my A in socio and C in business. ( I've hated the business course since the start of year 12, didnt enjoy it at all, unhelpful and disorganised teachers, and I suspect the moderators who mark our coursework are either high or drunk when doing so.)

My head of sixthform basically told me to **** off when i told him i wanted to resit year 13, something along the lines off 'historically we've seen that the last 2 year 13 students who did resits didnt improve their grades' and 'just go to any university you can go to ... just go' and 'think about the tution fee's ... i mean it's £9000'

I mean, i get it im **** scared too, £9000 is a LOT of debt but i dont have it in me to go to any random uni - without student accomodation guaranteed. Im scared of moving out anyway... i need to feel secure. Im not sure im mentally and emotionally ready to move out and start at uni.

I currently have an offer to study law at the staffordshire university but i dont know what to do :l

My sixthform will allow me to resit exams and resubmit coursework and im hoping to bump my grades upto AAC ... and maybe sit A2 general studies too. I was hoping to apply to keele, kent, hull, ntu, or maybe even reading for 2012.

My parents are being pretty supportive and understanding ... they did however go completely ape**** when i told them that i was considering retaking as an external candidate. They have this odd fear that i'll not go to uni at all, and turn into a couch potato.

Ive been thinking of the pro's and con's of resitting but other than the obvious tution fee's rise i cant think of anything else. I was hoping to save up some money for uni (since i have zilch in my account atm) and take my driving lessons and get some voluntary work.

i dont know what to doo :frown:

edit
also, does anyone know what the procedure is for reapplying through ucas? Do i need to rewrite a personal statement? what about references? do i need to inform student finance too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Did anyone do a gap year with their parents completely opposed to the idea? How did you convince them in the end, or do they hate you now?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
I really, really need help! I missed my offers for my firm and insurance choices to study Law. As a result, i had go go through clearng. I was given an offer by Hertfordshire university with an email confirming my offer, only to get get rejected by them because i don't have the relevant gcse maths grade to study Law.
This has left me totally depressed and unsure of my future. I declined all other offers i had from other universities because Hertfordshire gave me an offer.
I want to know whether they are allowed to do this, are they allowed to give an offer (verbal and written) and then go back on it??
Please help me! Feeling sooooo depressed and lost..:confused:
You guys are all making me jealous! This obviously isn't quite the same situation you're in because I don't need to reapply but I was supposed to take a gap year in 2010 but it didn't work out. I'm still really resentful that I never got the chance to go to Inti Wari Yassi and get a job and do the things I planned on doing. I want my damn gap year and now I feel like calling up my firm and telling them I want to defer entry, grabbing a backpack and seeing where I end up!
Original post by driftingaway
i am toying with the idea of taking a gap year. I missed my firm by a mile - i needed AAB to study law at Reading but acheived BCD. :frown: decided i didnt want to go my insurance at all, so went through clearing. I've never experienced any thing like it, it was crazy!

I'm actually 2 marks of an A in sociology, 2 marks off a B in health and social care, and 9 marks off a C in business. I've had all three papers sent off for remarks so fingers crossed that i will get my A in socio and C in business. ( I've hated the business course since the start of year 12, didnt enjoy it at all, unhelpful and disorganised teachers, and I suspect the moderators who mark our coursework are either high or drunk when doing so.)

My head of sixthform basically told me to **** off when i told him i wanted to resit year 13, something along the lines off 'historically we've seen that the last 2 year 13 students who did resits didnt improve their grades' and 'just go to any university you can go to ... just go' and 'think about the tution fee's ... i mean it's £9000'

I mean, i get it im **** scared too, £9000 is a LOT of debt but i dont have it in me to go to any random uni - without student accomodation guaranteed. Im scared of moving out anyway... i need to feel secure. Im not sure im mentally and emotionally ready to move out and start at uni.

I currently have an offer to study law at the staffordshire university but i dont know what to do :l

My sixthform will allow me to resit exams and resubmit coursework and im hoping to bump my grades upto AAC ... and maybe sit A2 general studies too. I was hoping to apply to keele, kent, hull, ntu, or maybe even reading for 2012.

My parents are being pretty supportive and understanding ... they did however go completely ape**** when i told them that i was considering retaking as an external candidate. They have this odd fear that i'll not go to uni at all, and turn into a couch potato.

Ive been thinking of the pro's and con's of resitting but other than the obvious tution fee's rise i cant think of anything else. I was hoping to save up some money for uni (since i have zilch in my account atm) and take my driving lessons and get some voluntary work.

i dont know what to doo :frown:

edit
also, does anyone know what the procedure is for reapplying through ucas? Do i need to rewrite a personal statement? what about references? do i need to inform student finance too?

The fee rise shouldn't *really* be a con, though I understand that it's scary because it freaks me out! My parents were exactly the same when I spoke to them about a gap year, they thought I wouldn't go. :rolleyes:
You don't need to write a new personal statement, you can use your old one though I think it would look better if you at least edited it and added some of your gap year plans. You can talk to whoever wrote your first reference and ask them to amend it. And yeah, I believe that for student finance you have to fill out a change of circumstances form.

I really want a gap year now! I just feel like I'm going to have all these plans and then in reality I'll be at home festering and depressed for a year and then I'll be too ill to go in 2012. *sigh* Guess it's better I go. My friend was saying that it's possible to take a year out between 2nd and 3rd year. Is that true?
Reply 98
Got A*A*BB in Maths, Econ, FM and Physics respectively; missed my Warwick offer (A*AA) and insurance Nottingham (AAA). Will probably reapply to Warwick and retake Further Maths (push the B up to an A/A*)
Reply 99
Original post by chookieman
do you have a link for this thread?

No sorry- I didn't use it as I contacted all my universities before I found the thread. I just know it existed, and had a look once or twice!

Latest