The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I reapplied this year and my referee who was my form tutor sent UCAS a reference written in AS! Saying I god Ds but I resat in A2 and got A* and As!

She almost ruined my chances at uni :'(
Original post by 96akhan
As long as you're not resitting the 3 A levels you're currently doing, and the entirity of the 4th A level is completed during your gap year, it won't count as 2 separate sittings in regards to it disadvantaging you.

However, universities will acknowledge that your 4th A level was completed in a different year from the other 3, i.e. if you're up against someone who did 4 A levels all together, you won't be seen as on the same level as them because your workload was split into 3 A levels and an entire year for a 4th A level - if that makes sense?

Unless the A level you're planning on doing during your gap year is a required A level for your degree, I wouldn't recommend doing it, it won't make too much of a difference to unis. I wouldn't recommend taking a gap year for the sake of an extra A level, 3 are enough for nearly all unis/ courses.

Hope that helped :smile:

Thanks for the info! And yeah I would prefer not to do the gap year but the extra A level is pretty much a necessity for my chosen degree :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Thanks for the info! And yeah I would prefer not to do the gap year but the extra A level is pretty much a necessity for my chosen degree :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind me asking which degree and which A levels you are taking? I may be able to help a bit more :smile:
Reply 1303
Help! I'm reapplying this year as I realised I wasn't ready for uni in September but my college is being as useless as a chocolate teapot!
I'm really struggling understanding how to put in resits that I want to do in the summer. I will be resitting them at the same college that I took my A-Levels in the first place but I'm resitting as an external candidate. So do I have to add a new college/school and add in the resits that I will be taking or do I add it into the model sections on my A-Level grades? Hope that makes sense!
Original post by 96akhan
Do you mind me asking which degree and which A levels you are taking? I may be able to help a bit more :smile:

Wanting to do Mathematics degree but do History, Maths and Biology, taking a gap year to do FM :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Wanting to do Mathematics degree but do History, Maths and Biology, taking a gap year to do FM :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you called the universities to ask if they'll be okay with that? You never know, they may say they're willing to give you an offer regardless of whether you've done further maths or not - my maths teacher told us that FM topics are covered in the first 8 or so week of uni anyway

But taking a gap year out only to study is honestly very difficult and - unless you're planning on enrolling full time at a college (in which case it would be considered as an extra year at college rather than a proper gap year), the struggle to self-motivate is a huge obstacle :'( trust me
Original post by Marshal.s.m
I got A B D D in maths physics and Chemistry and Further. I dropped further and I really want to apply to a good university for aerospace engineering. do you think its possible.

Depends on how solid your predicted grades and reference are rather than the actual grades - as long as you're planning on retaking some modules to help bump the grades up.

Best advice is to apply to 1 uni above your predicted grades, 3 at your predicted grades/ slightly lower and 1 as a catchment

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by harinimnida
I reapplied this year and my referee who was my form tutor sent UCAS a reference written in AS! Saying I god Ds but I resat in A2 and got A* and As!

She almost ruined my chances at uni :'(

Oh no! Were you able to change that reference and is there any options on UCAS to change your reference after you have already applied?
Original post by pje1000
maybe too late, but does anybody know when the deadline to enter for resits as an external candidate is?

I suggest you get it all done by the end of this year. Most exam centres increase their examination fee by the time it's February because that's when it's considered as "late".
Original post by PurpleJag
Hi,

I am just filling out my ucas form again as I am reapplying and was just wondering if you have to put your AS grade on?
My AS grade was quite bad so id rather not add it but if we have to... then i will...

Anyone know if we have to do this or not?
Thanks

In my college people were told that if you were not happy with your AS grade you didn't have to put it on. Its just an AS, not an A Level. Many students only do A Levels and not an extra AS.
Original post by MeikaChan
Hey, so I'm reapplying for uni and I was wondering if I could use the same reference as last year, or do I need to ask for a new one? Thank you :biggrin:

You can use the same reference as last year if all the same situation applies, for instance you're looking to study the same course. You just need permission from the same referee.
Original post by LizzieG.
Hi, please can somebody help me. I've just completed my first year at AS level and took biology, chemistry and maths and embarrassingly got D, U, U. The school I was at was a new school and was awful, I am now resitting my first year at a different school and am confident I will get good grades (although that sounds unrealistic). I know it says you have less of a chance to get in if you resit a year and you have to show your results of all years, but does that include AS levels or just A levels? I want this more than anything

That includes AS and A Levels both.
If you are able to achieve the grades that you are looking to achieve at the end of the year it would be great. It might be a slight disadvantage when it comes to applying for university for you. But don't be disheartened, many people who resit their first year or take a gap year out to do resits still go to good universities.
Original post by polarbear123
How should I edit my personal statement for UCAS application this year if I have had to take an unexpected gap year because I did not get the grades I got BBD instead of ABB?

It would be best if you could do that because that way you can show what new experiences you have handled during your gap year and what skills you have learnt from it. However, many people choose to only resit during a gap year - if this is the case you could still keep the same personal statement.
Original post by 96akhan
Have you called the universities to ask if they'll be okay with that? You never know, they may say they're willing to give you an offer regardless of whether you've done further maths or not - my maths teacher told us that FM topics are covered in the first 8 or so week of uni anyway

But taking a gap year out only to study is honestly very difficult and - unless you're planning on enrolling full time at a college (in which case it would be considered as an extra year at college rather than a proper gap year), the struggle to self-motivate is a huge obstacle :'( trust me

Tbh right now I havent got the grades I want to get into a uni I want so applying after my grades would be an extra bonus. Also I want to build up some money and do some things before I go to uni, like try and pass my driving test. I think I will be motivated, and I can only try my best ha :smile: thanks for the advice tho. Ive applied to some unis for deferred entry so if they give me an offer I may change my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Tbh right now I havent got the grades I want to get into a uni I want so applying after my grades would be an extra bonus. Also I want to build up some money and do some things before I go to uni, like try and pass my driving test. I think I will be motivated, and I can only try my best ha :smile: thanks for the advice tho. Ive applied to some unis for deferred entry so if they give me an offer I may change my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a more solid plan, as long as you have things during the year to take your mind off of studies - good luck!
Original post by 96akhan
That sounds like a more solid plan, as long as you have things during the year to take your mind off of studies - good luck!

Thank you very much! Yes looking to stay occupied :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I get say A*A*A or even A*A*A* and don't have an existing offer from my top choice (Imperial) for theoretical physics would I be able to ring up on results day or would I have to reapply with my grades and take a year out? I currently do maths, further maths and physics and dropped chemistry (I got a C in AS chem lol) would that really matter for theoretical phys even if I got A*A*A/A*A*A* in my current subjects and met the entry requirements?

Thank youuuu
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I get say A*A*A or even A*A*A* and don't have an existing offer from my top choice (Imperial) for theoretical physics would I be able to ring up on results day or would I have to reapply with my grades and take a year out? I currently do maths, further maths and physics and dropped chemistry (I got a C in AS chem lol) would that really matter for theoretical phys even if I got A*A*A/A*A*A* in my current subjects and met the entry requirements?

Thank youuuu

The best thing to do is call Imperial and ask them if they offer Adjustment for the course you're interested in, if not, ask them if they would take you on the following year (i.e. you call them on results day and secure a place for September 2017 so you won't have to reapply etc) they may be willing to give you the place for 2016 though given the field you're going into - maths type degrees aren't too keen on taking students who've taken a year out simply because maths requires so much practice all year round.

I'm not doubting your abilities at all but with all due respect, do make sure to stay realistic with your grades, very very veryy few people get 3A*s

Don't worry too much about the C at AS - unis usually want a pass in the 4th subject, may be worth retaking a module to pull it up perhaps

Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 1318
Got AAB in Maths, chemistry and physics in the summer. I was predicted A*AA.
I have taken a gap year with a deferred place at Southampton Uni to study Mechanical Engineering.
I am having second thoughts (and have been for a very long time) about my choice of course.
I am considering changing to English, however I don't have the required A level. I feel that reapplying for English might be risky; I may not be successful with my exams if I take an intensive a level. Is it possible for me to not reapply and take the a level this year and, if that goes well, go through adjustment/call up unis to see if they have places?

Any response would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Reply 1319
I've applied to Unis and heard back from four of them however I am now 100% taking a gap year. I did not put deferred entry on my UCAS how do I do it? Can I do it when I get my results In August or do I have to contact the Unis individually before hand. If so how do I do this.

Latest