The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Anyone accepted into UCL without a Modern Language GCSE?

Hi guys,

I am considering applying to UCL for 2012 entry. When researching the admission requirements I read that a Modern Language GCSE grade C was required. However, it also says if you do not have a Language GCSE UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL.

Has anyone been accepted into UCL without a Language GCSE and can they share there experiences of meeting the language requirement?

Thanks
Reply 1
Is this for any course? :/

EDIT: Apparently so. :/
(edited 12 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by gumball
Is this for any course? :/

EDIT: Apparently so. :/

You study at UCL?
Wow, that's a bit harsh of them.

Suddenly a lack of interest in learning a language/inability to actually take an MFL GCSE means you can't study at UCL?!

I remember our GCSE choices, we had to pick from two lists of subjects, then a third list was our 'vocational' course.

What if someone wanted to study History and Geography at GCSE and choosing both of them meant you couldn't take a language?!

If true - UCL are mad.
I had no idea about that. Is it new requirement?

I have a French GCSE, so maybe that's why I got in without hearing anything about it, but either way it think it's wrong. I disagree with the needing to have GCSE MFL, even if a lot of Universities already do it.
The requirement has been introduced for 2012 entry and I believe there is a clause along the lines of "if you don't meet this, you will be given the opportunity to reach the required level whilst at UCL".

ETA: Found it here and also here (checked to make sure it was the same for different programmes). It says "For UK-based students a Modern Language GCSE at minimum grade C is required. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mousebudden
Hi guys,

I am considering applying to UCL for 2012 entry. When researching the admission requirements I read that a Modern Language GCSE grade C was required. However, it also says if you do not have a Language GCSE UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL.

Has anyone been accepted into UCL without a Language GCSE and can they share there experiences of meeting the language requirement?

Thanks

UCL specify if you don't have one you can do language modules while there to make up for it
Reply 7
Original post by ButterflyOfFreedom
The requirement has been introduced for 2012 entry and I believe there is a clause along the lines of "if you don't meet this, you will be given the opportunity to reach the required level whilst at UCL".

thank god for that clause

Quick Reply

Latest