The Student Room Group

Bath or Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moomy
All this is true, except now first year students receive a free bus pass for the wessex red bus which runs from the uni to stoke bishop. :smile:

Well that's a substantial improvement! I must admit that I've not lived in Bristol for about a year now - I must be getting out of touch! :beard:
Original post by Sharkbait
you don't have to travel like a mile from accommodation to the uni in your first year at Bath..

If you don't want to live far away, you can always stay in Clifton at Bristol :smile:
Reply 42
I too am in this predicament. Going to decide when I go on the visit days in March :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by FDR
They are very similar in reputation, although for economics, it seems Nottingham ranks slightly higher in the newspaper league tables (if that means anything to you...), but I wouldn't look into that too much, they are both really good universities, and having either on your degree will look good to employers.

Nottingham's campus is probably the nicest in the UK (set in 300 acres of parkland), and the facilities (Library, gym) are quite good too. As a city, it's considerably large, so a lot going on (I think it's a bit bigger than Bristol, but I'm not certain), and it's pretty much right in the middle of England, so good access to a lot of other cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham). Bristol is a city based uni, so you will be based in the centre of Bristol, but Notts is a campus based uni, and the campus is on the edge of Nottingham, but there are bus services to the city centre, and I remember being told that some are free for students.

I was wondering if Bristol has better access to the rest of Europe since it's closer to the south haha.
Reply 44
Original post by Hemzo
I too am in this predicament. Going to decide when I go on the visit days in March :biggrin:

you're going for both visit days from Bath and Bristol?

Share with me what you experienced there alright?

I'm just able to go for a University of Bath information session over here.
Reply 45
i realised that bristol is much higher in the ranking than bath (30 vs 168).

should i take this into consideration or is it just rubbish?
Reply 46
Original post by Irenicis
i realised that bristol is much higher in the ranking than bath (30 vs 168).

should i take this into consideration or is it just rubbish?

Is that for economics? or for the university as a whole?

If for economics maybe, if for the Uni as a whole then no don't take it into consideration. Assuming you want to go into something which would use your degree (whether that be public or private sector) employers seem to know which universities are good for that degree.

I should have mentioned earlier that in all my interviews for grad jobs, Bath was ranked up there with Cambridge and Oxford and LSE (I didn't see anyone from Bristol for some reason...)
Reply 47
you're going for both visit days from Bath and Bristol?

Share with me what you experienced there alright?

I'm just able to go for a University of Bath information session over here.

Sure thing, I'll let you know :smile:
Reply 48
A friend of mine has got both Nottingham and Bristol so she's in a dilemma on which to go for.

What can I tell her? thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
A friend of mine has got both Nottingham and Bristol so she's in a dilemma on which to go for.

hmm anybody?
hmm anybody?

Probably best to start a new thread - you'll be more likely to get a response that way.
Reply 51
hmm anybody?

Personally I'd say Bristol. Though it's entirely personal preference.
Reply 52

to flip a coin. Always the best judge when you don't know what to do - its an impartial judge, and cuts out the crap and gives you an answer straight away. And if you disagree with what it tells you, it can't do anything.

Or she could carefully consider all factors, from differences in the cities, campus vs city based uni, size of department (large, lots of module choice vs small, more contact time ) location (south-ish, east midlands), entry requirements... Personally, I'd go with the coin, the second option just takes ages.
Reply 53
Original post by FDR
to flip a coin. Always the best judge when you don't know what to do - its an impartial judge, and cuts out the crap and gives you an answer straight away. And if you disagree with what it tells you, it can't do anything.

Or she could carefully consider all factors, from differences in the cities, campus vs city based uni, size of department (large, lots of module choice vs small, more contact time ) location (south-ish, east midlands), entry requirements... Personally, I'd go with the coin, the second option just takes ages.

haha, i'm not one who would leave my future to a 50/50 percent chance!

I did tell her that Bristol is closer to London than Nottingham haha. Always would like a visit there.

I did tell her that Bristol is closer to London than Nottingham haha. Always would like a visit there.

Only marginally - Nottingham is only 11 miles further away from London than Bristol!

Hey, I am going through the same problem as your friend, even though I am leaning more towards Nottingham because of the lower international fees and I personally prefer a campus uni. However, Bristol does pretty well in QS ranking so don't know the extent of its impact on international market. :confused:

When your friend decides, I would love to know what she finally chose and get some directions.
Reply 56
Original post by Samurai_Jack
Hey, I am going through the same problem as your friend, even though I am leaning more towards Nottingham because of the lower international fees and I personally prefer a campus uni. However, Bristol does pretty well in QS ranking so don't know the extent of its impact on international market. :confused:

When your friend decides, I would love to know what she finally chose and get some directions.

Sure, i'll try to let you know. Did you check out the accomodations and stuff?

also, would the international fees be an issue?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys, I'm an international student here intending to study economics.

I'm thinking of whether Bath or Bristol uni is better for me.

I heard that bristol is more prestigious and has better prospects and that Bath is really expensive! I find the City of Bath really nice though, with all the roman buildings. Amy Williams is also from Bath uni!!

Care to share guys?

Bath is the more prestigious university :fyi:

Bath has better sports facilities

Bath has a lower crime rate (mainly because it's a campus uni)

but

Bristol's city is larger

Bristol has more shops, better nightlife

Bristol's houses are cheaper
Reply 58
Original post by Architecture-er
Bath is the more prestigious university :fyi:

Bath has better sports facilities

Bath has a lower crime rate (mainly because it's a campus uni)

but

Bristol's city is larger

Bristol has more shops, better nightlife

Bristol's houses are cheaper

I'm not too sure if Bath is indeed the more prestigious university, judging by comments from all over this forum.

any opinions on Nottingham as well?

p.s. I see you're from Bath! Enjoying every bit? No doubt the sports facilities are absolutely fantastic but are their other societies good as well?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
I'm not too sure if Bath is indeed the more prestigious university, judging by comments from all over this forum.

any opinions on Nottingham as well?

p.s. I see you're from Bath! Enjoying every bit? No doubt the sports facilities are absolutely fantastic but are their other societies good as well?

Their prestige is too close to call, the league table you quoted is useless if it puts that gap between them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending