The Student Room Group

Bath or Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Irenicis
actually, what's a UK's student's concept of a night life?

is it like in australia where clubbing, binge drinking?

I like Bath for the sports stuffs, healthier i supposed haha. Just worried it'll get boring for the 3 to 4 years ^^

Clubbing here I suppose can be whatever you want it to be. You can enjoy only the music, only the drinking or enjoy both. I guess it depends where you go clubbing too. In Bath I hear there are underground clubs, which sounds nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkGaqyKKmdw

The Sports Village is pretty amazing. You can get bored even in the most exciting places on earth, its more about what you make of your time there! :smile:
Reply 101
are all UK office closed this week for easter?

i haven't got a reply from them regarding my query...
Reply 102

The last holiday was on Monday so it will be work as usual from Tuesday onwards (well for businesses anyway, not sure if the university admissions tutors are on holiday during school holiday, in which case they will be back next week).
Reply 103

Each university will have its own specific policy. Southampton, for example, return to normal work tomorrow (Wednesday 11th). Just phone them tomorrow, and if they're closed, then phone again the day after.
Reply 104
Original post by Origami Bullets
No, I'm at Manchester now, but I did live in Bristol for 19 years, mostly within a mile of Bristol Uni, I went to school a couple of miles away from Bristol Uni, and at used to work opposite it. You could say that I know the area quite well :wink:

With regards to Bath's halls, I don't know specifically, but in most UK universities people want to move out into privately-rented shared houses. There won't be enough room for everyone to stay there for three years, but you might find that they let you as you're international (that said, if you want to spend three years living with Freshers then you must be mad!)

hi , can i have some of your opinion? currently i got offer form manchester and bristol. i still choosing either one.can i have some review about these two uni?
Original post by bond13
hi , can i have some of your opinion? currently i got offer form manchester and bristol. i still choosing either one.can i have some review about these two uni?

Both Bristol and Manchester are pretty awesome cities. However, Bristol is more compact - Manchester has a tendency towards sprawling suburbs, whereas you can see cattle in fields a 20 minute bus ride from Bristol city centre, yet Bristol still has just about everything you'll ever need or want, invariably within walking distance (it's about 3 miles into the city centre from the furthest halls away, and there's no reason for most students to go significantly south of the river). That's a very good thing, because the bus service in Bristol is crap - both in real terms and compared to Manchester's! Bristol (as a city) also has more of a tendency towards the alternative and independent (e.g. free festivals, St Nick's Market, what is reputed to be Europe's highest concentration of independent shops on Gloucester Road, and the generally alternative vibe that you often get in places like Montpelier), whereas Manchester can sometimes feel a little more like a sausage factory (as in, everything's the same) with chains galore and relatively few indy shops. I think I prefer Bristol as a city, but moving away was most definitely the right decision for me for personal reasons, and I'm happy in Manchester.

With regards to which uni is better, it will depend on your subject, but overall I think Bristol is marginally more prestigious.

Both unis have a pretty fantastic social life, although Manchester does have more options when it comes to nightlife (not that I ever got bored in Bristol in terms of nightlife, but there are just more clubs in Manc.). You, may, however find that there's one society that you particularly want to join that one uni has but not the other. NB don't base your decision on this alone - societies do come and go, and I know that one I had planned on joining at UoM folded between me applying in 2009 and starting in 2011.

Bristol's halls are in a nicer area than Manchester's (there's nothing wrong with Fallowfield, it's just that Stoke Bishop / Clifton are nicer. On the downside, you will have to walk the 2 miles to uni each way each day if you're in Stoke Bishop halls. It's a fairly steep hill for much of the way, so you'll have to be moderately fit to get up some of it on a bike. When I lived there (until early 2011), there was no real bus service between UoB and SB, but I have heard rumours of things improving since. Manchester has an excellent bus service between Fallowfield and uni, and it's flat and therefore perfectly bikeable (if you have nerves of steel!)

Essentially, I wouldn't say that one is definitely better than the other, and it's all down to personal choice. If you have any points specifically that you'd like me to compare, then ask away. The only thing I don't really feel able to start comparing is the teaching - not only have I never attended UoB, it's vastly variable within and between different departments of both universities.
Reply 106
Both Bristol and Manchester are pretty awesome cities. However, Bristol is more compact - Manchester has a tendency towards sprawling suburbs, whereas you can see cattle in fields a 20 minute bus ride from Bristol city centre, yet Bristol still has just about everything you'll ever need or want, invariably within walking distance (it's about 3 miles into the city centre from the furthest halls away, and there's no reason for most students to go significantly south of the river). That's a very good thing, because the bus service in Bristol is crap - both in real terms and compared to Manchester's! Bristol (as a city) also has more of a tendency towards the alternative and independent (e.g. free festivals, St Nick's Market, what is reputed to be Europe's highest concentration of independent shops on Gloucester Road, and the generally alternative vibe that you often get in places like Montpelier), whereas Manchester can sometimes feel a little more like a sausage factory (as in, everything's the same) with chains galore and relatively few indy shops. I think I prefer Bristol as a city, but moving away was most definitely the right decision for me for personal reasons, and I'm happy in Manchester.

With regards to which uni is better, it will depend on your subject, but overall I think Bristol is marginally more prestigious.

Both unis have a pretty fantastic social life, although Manchester does have more options when it comes to nightlife (not that I ever got bored in Bristol in terms of nightlife, but there are just more clubs in Manc.). You, may, however find that there's one society that you particularly want to join that one uni has but not the other. NB don't base your decision on this alone - societies do come and go, and I know that one I had planned on joining at UoM folded between me applying in 2009 and starting in 2011.

Bristol's halls are in a nicer area than Manchester's (there's nothing wrong with Fallowfield, it's just that Stoke Bishop / Clifton are nicer. On the downside, you will have to walk the 2 miles to uni each way each day if you're in Stoke Bishop halls. It's a fairly steep hill for much of the way, so you'll have to be moderately fit to get up some of it on a bike. When I lived there (until early 2011), there was no real bus service between UoB and SB, but I have heard rumours of things improving since. Manchester has an excellent bus service between Fallowfield and uni, and it's flat and therefore perfectly bikeable (if you have nerves of steel!)

Essentially, I wouldn't say that one is definitely better than the other, and it's all down to personal choice. If you have any points specifically that you'd like me to compare, then ask away. The only thing I don't really feel able to start comparing is the teaching - not only have I never attended UoB, it's vastly variable within and between different departments of both universities.

thanks! what u mean is if i choose bristol then i have to walk to uni everyday huh? haha.i studying economics. currently my sibling is studying at warwick. i've asked her to get some opinion from her friend who is studying economic. but most of her friend also say bath warwick lse.none of them say about bristol or manchester.although manchester is a well known uni in the world and bristol is one of the top uni in uk .but is economics in either these uni good?
Original post by bond13
thanks! what u mean is if i choose bristol then i have to walk to uni everyday huh? haha.i studying economics. currently my sibling is studying at warwick. i've asked her to get some opinion from her friend who is studying economic. but most of her friend also say bath warwick lse.none of them say about bristol or manchester.although manchester is a well known uni in the world and bristol is one of the top uni in uk .but is economics in either these uni good?

I'm fairly sure that you would have to walk to and from uni every day at Bristol - certainly that was the case when I lived there, and every morning you would see large numbers of them walking down Whiteladies Road on their way to uni. I've heard rumours of there being a bus nowadays (previously you could get the 8 or 9 from UoB to the Downs, but no further, and it would cost you about £1.80 each way), but you would be sensible to check on the Bristol forum.

I'd forgotten that this thread was in the Economics forum to be honest - I think it probably came up in my 'latest discussions' feed before, and I have to admit that (as a politics student) I don't really know much about the relative merits of the two economics courses. I'm sure someone else on here will though :smile:

Have you been to the open days yet? I know that they really helped me choose between universities, so it would be really good if you could go along.
Reply 108
I'm fairly sure that you would have to walk to and from uni every day at Bristol - certainly that was the case when I lived there, and every morning you would see large numbers of them walking down Whiteladies Road on their way to uni. I've heard rumours of there being a bus nowadays (previously you could get the 8 or 9 from UoB to the Downs, but no further, and it would cost you about £1.80 each way), but you would be sensible to check on the Bristol forum.

I'd forgotten that this thread was in the Economics forum to be honest - I think it probably came up in my 'latest discussions' feed before, and I have to admit that (as a politics student) I don't really know much about the relative merits of the two economics courses. I'm sure someone else on here will though :smile:

Have you been to the open days yet? I know that they really helped me choose between universities, so it would be really good if you could go along.

ooh.actually i'm an international student :smile: so yeah. i dont think can make it to the open day.ive posted there :smile: thanks alot for ur information. at first i thought bristol is like a country side.cuz my sibling at warwick. so she says better choose a city campus. if not will be kinda boring. can u recommend few hostel which is near to uni and city? cuz i went to their website and all look like the same. what i prefer is not so old style and easy to get stuff .since u stay there for quite long right? thanks
Original post by bond13
ooh.actually i'm an international student :smile: so yeah. i dont think can make it to the open day.ive posted there :smile: thanks alot for ur information. at first i thought bristol is like a country side.cuz my sibling at warwick. so she says better choose a city campus. if not will be kinda boring. can u recommend few hostel which is near to uni and city? cuz i went to their website and all look like the same. what i prefer is not so old style and easy to get stuff .since u stay there for quite long right? thanks

:rofl: Bristol definitely isn't in the countryside - there's 500,000 people living there! On the plus side though, you will get to walk across 400 acres of open common land (the Downs, which confusingly are on top of a hill. According to my grandpa, they were so named to confuse the Germans, but that's not actually true!) on your way to uni if you live in Stoke Bishop halls.

When you refer to hostels, I think you actually mean halls of residence. Hostels refer to short term accommodation for people who are travelling through (usually backpackers on a very tight budget), and have dormitories e.g. those operated by the YHA. They are often referred to as "backpackers hostels". The term can also be used to mean accommodation for the homeless ("homeless hostels") and people recently released from prison ("bail hostels"). On the other hand, halls of residence (often referred to just as "halls") means university-owned accommodation, specifically for students. Students will stay there for a full academic year, and have their own bedroom (and sometimes bathroom), but share other facilities such as a kitchen.

To be honest, I don't really know anything about UoB's halls of residence, because (whilst I did live in Bristol for 19 years), I was never a university student there, and I never visited the halls. I'd suggest asking on the Bristol forum for more information.

With regards to Manchester's halls of residence, arguably the best accommodation lies in Fallowfield, and the distance from uni (2 miles) shouldn't really worry you - it'll take you a total of around 20 minutes, from leaving your front door in Fallowfield to walking into your lecture, if you take the bus, and a bit less if you cycle. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you will spend 0 time getting to uni if you live in city halls - you could easily spend 20 minutes walking from some city halls to the buildings where you have your lectures. However, this is where international students are concentrated, so you may prefer this.

Fallowfield is the main hub of student social activity (with the exception of some clubs, which are also a fairly long distance away from some city halls). It also has a big Sainsburys (supermarket), whereas people who live further into the city are stuck with small, overpriced shops. Personally I think en suite isn't worth it, and catered is expensive, and the food grim. Your only option if you want Fallowfield + self catered + shared bathroom is Oak House, where I live, and I would recommend it.
Reply 110
hahaha.really thanks alot.i did check for manchester gall of residents.there are three area..city fallowfield and victoria park right..i orefer self catered and en suite which has my own bathroom.but i search through the website it shows no result.lol.any of your friend stay in this type of hall?
Reply 111
:rofl: Bristol definitely isn't in the countryside - there's 500,000 people living there! On the plus side though, you will get to walk across 400 acres of open common land (the Downs, which confusingly are on top of a hill. According to my grandpa, they were so named to confuse the Germans, but that's not actually true!) on your way to uni if you live in Stoke Bishop halls.

When you refer to hostels, I think you actually mean halls of residence. Hostels refer to short term accommodation for people who are travelling through (usually backpackers on a very tight budget), and have dormitories e.g. those operated by the YHA. They are often referred to as "backpackers hostels". The term can also be used to mean accommodation for the homeless ("homeless hostels") and people recently released from prison ("bail hostels"). On the other hand, halls of residence (often referred to just as "halls") means university-owned accommodation, specifically for students. Students will stay there for a full academic year, and have their own bedroom (and sometimes bathroom), but share other facilities such as a kitchen.

To be honest, I don't really know anything about UoB's halls of residence, because (whilst I did live in Bristol for 19 years), I was never a university student there, and I never visited the halls. I'd suggest asking on the Bristol forum for more information.

With regards to Manchester's halls of residence, arguably the best accommodation lies in Fallowfield, and the distance from uni (2 miles) shouldn't really worry you - it'll take you a total of around 20 minutes, from leaving your front door in Fallowfield to walking into your lecture, if you take the bus, and a bit less if you cycle. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you will spend 0 time getting to uni if you live in city halls - you could easily spend 20 minutes walking from some city halls to the buildings where you have your lectures. However, this is where international students are concentrated, so you may prefer this.

Fallowfield is the main hub of student social activity (with the exception of some clubs, which are also a fairly long distance away from some city halls). It also has a big Sainsburys (supermarket), whereas people who live further into the city are stuck with small, overpriced shops. Personally I think en suite isn't worth it, and catered is expensive, and the food grim. Your only option if you want Fallowfield + self catered + shared bathroom is Oak House, where I live, and I would recommend it.

hahaha.really thanks alot.i did check for manchester gall of residents.there are three area..city fallowfield and victoria park right..i orefer self catered and en suite which has my own bathroom.but i search through the website it shows no result.lol.any of your friend stay in this type of hall?
Original post by bond13

Yes, you're right that there are three areas - City, Victoria Park and Fallowfield.

In my opinion, en suite isn't worth it, for several reasons
- Shared bathrooms are cleaned by a cleaner, en suites are not
- I've always found my shared bathroom to be perfectly clean
- You get free loo roll in shared bathrooms
- The extra £30 a week or so that they charge for an en suite amounts to more than my entire food budget for the week - that's a lot of money!

I'm not sure what website you're looking at, but you should be looking at www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk - there are lots of self catered, en suite halls on there, including Richmond Park and Sheavyn House, amongst many others.
Have offers from both and have the same decision to make, Bath or Bristol..
Would be interesting if I can hear from those who have ended up going to either of these unis for economics and just express your opinions of how its going.
I know they are very similar, I'm leaning towards Bath atm due to the placement year and I do like the campus, I've been to Bath open day, however I haven't been to Bristol's open day. I intend to go to both department visit days.
The incredibly annoying thing is that this year the visit days for both unis just happens to be on the same day.. 11th feb,, So I'm going to have to choose one to visit in feb and go to the second visit day in march.
Bristol! But tbh, they are both fantastic institutions!

Quick Reply