The Student Room Group

Tuition fee system is discriminatory, say Muslims

Muslim students could be forced to abandon hopes of a university place under the new fees and loans regime which will come into place next year.

The Government's plan to increase tuition fees and implement higher rates of interest on loans means many young Muslims will be deterred from applying to university until a scheme is put in place that allows them to finance their degrees in a way that complies with Islamic law.

Under some interpretations of Islamic law, the acquisition of loans particularly those which accrue interest is forbidden. The new system requires graduates who earn above £21,000 to pay interest levels of up to 3 per cent above inflation. The National Union of Students (NUS) has warned it could be two years before a suitable system is arranged.

A spokesman for the Federation of Student Islamic Societies (FOSIS) called the rate increase a "pressing issue".

"Under Islamic law interest is seen as something that is prohibited," he said. "Previously, the interest was at the market rate of inflation. The problem now is that the interest is above the market rate. Because the rate of interest is above the rate of inflation, it is quite blatant usury."

Mohammed Ahmed-Sheikh, 17, a student at Southfields Community College said increased tuition fees will deter him from applying to university next year: "The fees are the reason I'm having doubts. I'm Muslim and loans are against my religion."

Some have claimed to have been forced to abandon certain principles required by their faith in order to attend university.

Ahmad Mitoubsi, 21, who graduated from Durham in July, said: "We've just had to adapt to the British system, or else I couldn't have gone to uni."

The FOSIS said it was working with the NUS to formulate a solution. One idea being considered is a new kind of loan scheme which could see education "rented" in a similar manner to Islamic mortgages, where banks buy properties and then lease them to the customer in a rental agreement.

Change is not likely to be quick, however, and in the meantime university will be unattainable for some Muslim young people who are unable to turn to family or friends for funding. Usman Ali, the NUS Vice-President for Higher Education, said: "It is important that we ensure complete equity for Islamic students but disappointingly the final framework looks unlikely to be in place until the 2013/14 academic year."

The Department of Business, Innovation and Skills confirmed that the student groups were in negotiation with their officials but emphasised: "There's still a little way to go."

More than a third of English universities are due to charge students fees of £9,000 as a standard from 2012, while almost three fifths of them will charge the maximum for at least one of their undergraduate courses.

Source.

1) If a private banking organisation can offer Muslim-compliant student loans - great, I would fully support it. However, if Student Finance England start offering a two-tier system (one for Muslims and one for non-Muslims) then the **** will hit the fan.

2) I find it very sad that religion prevents a young A-level student from becoming a doctor or a lawyer, and that they have to settle with a mediocre job and always ask themselves 'what if?'
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The UK should be a fully secular nation and refuse to give any religion special privileges or treatment
Interest is what makes the Western world the most prosperous society on earth. Interest is a fundemental part of capitalism and it is what has built our socities to be great.

These Muslims come to the West for a better life, a better life afforded to them by westerners due to our capitalist system, they want to live in our societies but they do not want to contribute to them. This is why Islam is a threat to our way of life, not only is a threat in regards to politics, extremism, and social issues, it is even a threat to our economy.

We do not have a fraction of these problems from other religious minorities. No other minority expects this special treatment. What next interest free car loans ? Interest free mortgages ?

If the concept of interest is against your Muslim religion then you really should not be in this country should you ?

NB: The neg Reps left by Muslims only reinforce my argument.
(edited 12 years ago)
Alright, undoubtably it's just a matter of time until we start getting a flood of racist comments but as someone who is Turkish and has a Muslim family (of sorts) my view is this: If there is some sort of rule in Islam which goes against the laws in the UK, guess what? Tough. This is not a Muslim country and quite frankly if you want a country to fully comply with your beliefs, move to Dubai or Qatar or Bahrain etc, a Muslim country,
The UK is a secular country and should remain that way. If you are religious and wish to live here, fantastic, welcome to England! But, don't tell people to change laws to accomodate your beleifs.
Original post by .---.
lol you racist ass

Islam is not a race................ISLAM IS NOT A RACE
Original post by Aj12
The UK should be a fully secular nation and refuse to give any religion special privileges or treatment

This. People should be free to practice their religion, but shouldn't expect any kind of special treatment from the state.
Reply 6
Original post by hellomoto170
Alright, undoubtably it's just a matter of time until we start getting a flood of racist comments but as someone who is Turkish and has a Muslim family (of sorts) my view is this: If there is some sort of rule in Islam which goes against the laws in the UK, guess what? Tough. This is not a Muslim country and quite frankly if you want a country to fully comply with your beliefs, move to Dubai or Qatar or Bahrain etc, a Muslim country,
The UK is a secular country and should remain that way. If you are religious and wish to live here, fantastic, welcome to England! But, don't tell people to change laws to accomodate your beleifs.

Im a muslim and I actually agree
Reply 7
:biggrin:
Original post by Strathclyder

ok you religiousist ass . . . . yes Im aware that's not a word but seeing as you seem to disagree with the word used to describe discrimination against races and religious groups we need to make a new one
Original post by .---.
I personally take my culture and way of life from islam so to me and all my family and many other muslims, we see it as our race. Though perhaps I used the wrong words. But you get the idea

Islam is not a race regardless of whether you view it as a race or not.
Reply 9

I personally take my culture and way of life from islam so to me and all my family and many other muslims, we see it as our race. Though perhaps I used the wrong words. But you get the idea
Original post by sam8472

ok you religiousist ass . . . . yes Im aware that's not a word but seeing as you seem to disagree with the word used to describe discrimination against races and religious groups we need to make a new one

Theres already a bull**** word made up, its called Islamaphobia. Because not tolerating the most intolerant religion in the world apparently makes me an Islamaphobe.
I know you can already do banking with HSBC etc in accordance with Sharia law...I suppose those banks wouldn't loan them £9000 a year, though? :confused:
Reply 12
Original post by sam8472

Reply 13
Theres already a bull**** word made up, its called Islamaphobia. Because not tolerating the most intolerant religion in the world apparently makes me an Islamaphobe.

yea but that just covers one religion and tbh on here we get so much discrimination against all faiths we need something to cover it all
Reply 14
Islam is not a race regardless of whether you view it as a race or not.

THOUGH PERHAPS I USED THE WRONG WORDS. BUT YOU GET THE IDEA
want me to write it again?
Original post by Chav Princess
Source.

1) If a private banking organisation can offer Muslim-compliant student loans - great, I would fully support it. However, if Student Finance England start offering a two-tier system (one for Muslims and one for non-Muslims) then the **** will hit the fan.

But what if it was of no consequence to you at all? You don't know how it would be implemented yet, so don't complain about it until you know if it's any of your business or not...

So its okay for you to be intolerant, but not for them?
Original post by sam8472
yea but that just covers one religion and tbh on here we get so much discrimination against all faiths we need something to cover it all

To be honest, 'religionist' is like saying 'politicalist'; afterall, religions are simply ideologies at their core.
Original post by Barden
So its okay for you to be intolerant, but not for them?

The intolerable can only be tolerated for so long.
Reply 19
Original post by Barden
But what if it was of no consequence to you at all? You don't know how it would be implemented yet, so don't complain about it until you know if it's any of your business or not...

:ditto:

Quick Reply

Latest