The Student Room Group

What GCSE results do you consider to be good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Ohlavelle
Actually they generally just want a decent grounding in subjects. They won't care if you have 19A*s if your AS levels are CCCC. Nor does it matter the quantity of GCSEs, many universities choose to look at your top 9 for example. The guy in here harping on about how much of a difference it makes, its all nonsense really, yes universities will no doubt want you to have done well and 19 GCSEs might be a talking point, but they won't be preferable over someone with 10 of the same level because many students WOULD come out with fantastic grades but are not given the opportunity to do so many.

I just love it when ppl agree :smile:
Reply 101
I rolled in with 5 A's 4 B's and 3 C's with little to no effort, they will get my by in most things and thats all that they need to do. Now with ABCE AS levels with much more effort that puts me in the top 25% of people for AS with my GCSEs which again, i'll take. It's all subjective, my friend got 7A*s and 3 As and thought he'd done poorly.
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy
my thoughts exactly

but in reply to the guy who had a sister with 19GCSEs. Congratulations to her, while your story sounds extremely unlikely, if it is true then well done. The reason it doesn't sound true is that you said she wanted to get into a grammar school. I know of a very top grammar school, one of the best in the country, where their entry requirements were 8As. Someone with just 8A*s would have been accepted 'in a jiffy' so...well I'll let others make a decision on the story's validity.

Can i just say that due to certain equality laws, the highest entry requirements a school can set in 6A's, so the 8A thing is ball cheddar..
Original post by N_young
*COUGH* *COUGH* Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, and OTHER TOP UNIS DO look at your GCSE results, so unless you want to be a plumber I suggest you hope for good grades or if you have time until GCSEs move your lazy backside. Best of luck

Dude, you have proper GCSE rage! as most of the A level pupils say in my school, "its only gcse's!"
Original post by Mike Hunt is nice
Dude, you have proper GCSE rage! as most of the A level pupils say in my school, "its only gcse's!"

They really are just GCSEs.
but hahaha 'GCSE rage'
Can i just say that due to certain equality laws, the highest entry requirements a school can set in 6A's, so the 8A thing is ball cheddar..

It was to illustrate my point, the entry requirements will actually RISE to those I stated next year. However from reviewing your post, it does make me think that I was wrong with those entry requirements. I think it was 6As and 2Bs. I got it wrong because it doesn't concern my year.

My point still stands regardless.
Reply 106

riight... proving a point mate, n gcse rage? what sad school do you go to?
Original post by N_young
riight... proving a point mate, n gcse rage? what sad school do you go to?

A very good one indeed.
Mate, you're obsessed about GCSE's, evidently.
I recon you should just forget about them till thursday morning, you can't change a thing.
Good luck anyways, what school are you planning to go to? i rememeber you're name, either Latymer or Woodhouse i swer?
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy
It was to illustrate my point, the entry requirements will actually RISE to those I stated next year. However from reviewing your post, it does make me think that I was wrong with those entry requirements. I think it was 6As and 2Bs. I got it wrong because it doesn't concern my year.

My point still stands regardless.

Lol, whatever you say mate...
Reply 109
A very good one indeed.
I recon you should just forget about them till thursday morning, you can't change a thing.
Good luck anyways, what school are you planning to go to? i rememeber you're name, either Latymer or Woodhouse i swer?

Lol, obsessed with GCSE, GCSE rage, man do you seriously think that GCSEs are my life? you really dont think much of me? Please dont give me advice "mate" and if your point is "its only a gcse" well yh its only a gcse but you have been working towards it the past 5 years (we had no SATs remember?) so it would be stupid to mess it up, and since its pretty much around the corner i just wanted to know what other ppl though if it bothers you that much why are you on this forum?

n yh its Latymer or Woodhouse... 8As minimum each :PPPPP
I'd say 5 As is 'good'. I was hoping for 10 As at the start of April. Now I'm pissing in the wind if I think I'll get 1.
Reply 111
Original post by GLOB
I think GCSE results should be available online too, so much easier and less stressful.

hello fellow 2013 law applicant.Seen your sig and felt the need to say hi:biggrin:
Original post by N_young

Well i did a few GCSEs early aswell, erm, French in Year 7 got an A* (no im not french) then arabic in year 10 (got an A) n i want to see following grades:
Maths A*
English + english lit AA
Science (double) A* A*
History A*
Electornics A*
ICT A/A*
N i also did an Additional maths course that counts like half an A level and hoping for an A in that
Pretty much i wanna see a sheet with no Bs on it
As for the waiting its just a PAIN

Wow. You're very smart; seems like you have a bright future ahead..
Reply 113
Original post by Lauren Pen
Wow. You're very smart; seems like you have a bright future ahead..

Thanks :smile: we will see after Thursday, hoping for the best.
What results are you expecting?
Reply 114
As long as the students performs well in Maths, English & Science they can go on to to achieve respectable grades in A-Level. Mathematics is central to achieving in any scientific subjects, English/History is strong for any essay subject.
I'd say 5 As is 'good'. I was hoping for 10 As at the start of April. Now I'm pissing in the wind if I think I'll get 1.
Original post by N_young
*COUGH* *COUGH* Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, and OTHER TOP UNIS DO look at your GCSE results, so unless you want to be a plumber I suggest you hope for good grades or if you have time until GCSEs move your lazy backside. Best of luck

Yeah, my university, within the Russel Group and #1 in the course I'm doing looked at my GCSEs. In the interview, I was asked how come I got an E in RE, I laughed and said I didn't like it. Got offered a place on the spot.

So yes, you're right, they do LOOK at them, but they sure as hell couldn't give a damn about them.
Anything over a C is good. School "isn't my thing" and I do very little, but always get Cs at the very least. So I guess I'm pretty lucky.
Original post by N_young
Tres Belle hahah c'est toujours la meme chose avec les files. Bonne chance mademoiselle :smile:

haha: Oui, c'est assez vrais monseiur :rolleyes: & Merci

Tresbelle
A very good one indeed.

I guess every GCSE student who gives a damn about his future is worried and obsessed with his result by now. So it isn't weird to see us suffering from the "GCSE Rage". You're absolutely right though by saying that GCSe aren't everything and they aren't as worthy as so many people think.

Quick Reply

Latest