The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2460
Original post by sophie15
Can someone please tell me what the two types of machine are when x-raying a patient, I also want to know what the photographic film is called which they use in radiography?
I remember one word being digital/DR or something?

Its for my work experience confirmation form, PLEASE HELP!!

The two types are CR (Computed Radiography) and DR (Digital Radiography).
Reply 2461
Original post by BPat
The two types are CR (Computed Radiography) and DR (Digital Radiography).

Thank you so much! So, does CR use the photographic film?
Reply 2462
Thank you so much! So, does CR use the photographic film?

Not quite. Inside the cassette is a phosphor plate which 'counts' the amount of x-rays absorbed when you expose. You then need a separate cassette reader to produce the x-ray image.

Photographic films aren't reusable whereas the CR cassettes are.

Hope that makes sense.
Reply 2463
Can someone please tell me what the two types of machine are when x-raying a patient, I also want to know what the photographic film is called which they use in radiography?
I remember one word being digital/DR or something?

Its for my work experience confirmation form, PLEASE HELP!!

Right some clarifying needs to be done here. Are you talking exclusively about plain film or the other modalities in addition (CT, MRI, Ultrasound etc.).
If your talking about plain film then there is only one machine, the x-ray tube. they all work in the same way, with varying degrees of effectiveness. the only possible broad difference comes within the machine whether it has a rotating anode (all of the general ones, due to heat produced) or a stationary anode ( e.g mammography lower exposures = less heat, no need for rotating anode). In relation to film there has been a progression similar to that of the one in photography. originally the images were recorded on an actual piece of film. This had to be developed in a dark room using chemicals. this progressed to Computed Radiography (CR) with the advent of computers, where a Phosphor plate is used to capture the image. the plate is then put into a reader (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=gtMFrGf1UqezLM:&imgrefurl=http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/products/xray/products/radiography/computed/corado/&docid=OBt_0Imnt0J4LM&imgurl=http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc/main/shared/Assets/Images/Xray/Product/radiography/computed/corado/details/ar_pcrelevacorado_01_en.jpg&w=180&h=303&ei=bNeaUKvWHPSW0QX274HICg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=303&sig=107281174225602943218&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=82&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:66&tx=27&ty=52). this is the main method used in the uk at the moment. It is gradually changing over to the newest system (which you mentioned.) digital Radiography or DR. this captures the image on a plate and changes it into digital form the data is then transmitted from the plate directly to the console the radiographer is at. this speeds up the process immensely.

Hope this helps
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest