The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by firestar101
Hi,

I have an interview for a radiography course at teesside uni on wednesday. Does anyone have any tips and advice?

How the hell did u manage that so soon??
Original post by misssmarty
You already have an interview how did you manage that? we dont even send off our ucas applications till next month yet at college!

It is because I iz special. :colone:

I applied for the pgdip/msc pre-reg radiography course at teesside. It is an interview for that.
Original post by FXX
No you don't need any charity work.

I think a lot of the questions are the standard affair, like 'why radiography', 'what skills does a good radiographer possess', 'why is good team working important', etc. It depends where you go though. Some places will want you to talk about stuff going on in the NHS, others want you to be aware of what's going on in radiography specifically, and others don't seem to care either way.

To impress them all you need to do is be enthusiastic.

Thanks for the help !
btw i was wondering what things should i talk about in my personal statement
to make me stand out !!

and do you know any website for uni ranking (radiography) ?
Reply 63
Hi

I'm doing A2 biology and computing and AS chemistry. I was wondering if this was enough to get into universities like liverpool, leeds, Exeter etc.

They say that you need 3 A levels and 250 - 300 or so ucas points, I only have 2 A levels and 1 AS so I'm not sure if I should apply or not, and is there is any leeway on ucas points/grades?

If not then I will just apply to places like:

London South Bank University
Bangor University
Canterbury Christ Church University
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Advise needed thanks. :smile:
Original post by Jiten88
Hi

I'm doing A2 biology and computing and AS chemistry. I was wondering if this was enough to get into universities like liverpool, leeds, Exeter etc.

They say that you need 3 A levels and 250 - 300 or so ucas points, I only have 2 A levels and 1 AS so I'm not sure if I should apply or not, and is there is any leeway on ucas points/grades?

If not then I will just apply to places like:

London South Bank University
Bangor University
Canterbury Christ Church University
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Advise needed thanks. :smile:

I applied with 2 A2s and 2AS's and got an offer from Liverpool as my AS was a double award health and social care so the UCAS points from that where the same as a full A2. SOme uni's would not accept this though.

If you can get 250 to 300 UCAS points from the 2 A Levels then go for it because most Uni's would accept that but I don't think many uni's would count the 1 AS towards your points. It is best to email any uni's you want to apply to and see what they say. That is what I did and many said they would not accept 2 A2s and 2AS so I just applied to the ones that said they did.
(edited 12 years ago)
It is because I iz special. :colone:

I applied for the pgdip/msc pre-reg radiography course at teesside. It is an interview for that.

I applied for that! When did you hear about it? That is to say, how long after you applied for it?
I'm applying for my second degree in Diagnostic Radiography after graduating last year with a first class in Psychology. I've been trying to get funding for a PhD in Biological Psych and it's IMPOSSIBLE, so after running away to Canada I have decided to do a degree that'll be interesting and will give me a skill.

I'm applying for the postgraduate MSc at Teesside Uni for January entry, and for the BSc at St Georges, Teesside, Exeter (maybe), Leeds and City (maybe). Still not 100% on my entire 5. I think for money purposes I want to stay in the NE, so Teesside and Leeds are going to be my first choices - especially since I did my first degree at Leeds too!

So yeah....cool, ey! I'm excited. I'm nervous because I'll be 24 before I even start! Buuuut let's just hope it'll all be okay. Education is for sure the best place to be right now!
Original post by kippersandals
I'm applying for my second degree in Diagnostic Radiography after graduating last year with a first class in Psychology. I've been trying to get funding for a PhD in Biological Psych and it's IMPOSSIBLE, so after running away to Canada I have decided to do a degree that'll be interesting and will give me a skill.

I'm applying for the postgraduate MSc at Teesside Uni for January entry, and for the BSc at St Georges, Teesside, Exeter (maybe), Leeds and City (maybe). Still not 100% on my entire 5. I think for money purposes I want to stay in the NE, so Teesside and Leeds are going to be my first choices - especially since I did my first degree at Leeds too!

So yeah....cool, ey! I'm excited. I'm nervous because I'll be 24 before I even start! Buuuut let's just hope it'll all be okay. Education is for sure the best place to be right now!

I had my interview today for the pgdip/msc course at teesside uni.

It went ok. Was really nervous though. Today was the last day for interviews. When was your interview or have you still to apply.
I had my interview today for the pgdip/msc course at teesside uni.

It went ok. Was really nervous though. Today was the last day for interviews. When was your interview or have you still to apply.

I have applied but hadn't heard - I just gave them a call and they said that although there isn't a deadline for the course, it's closed for application (which is contradictory), and they said they were just about full. Not to worry. I hope you get a place! Best of luck with it.
Reply 69
Original post by razzmatazz rach
I applied with 2 A2s and 2AS's and got an offer from Liverpool as my AS was a double award health and social care so the UCAS points from that where the same as a full A2. SOme uni's would not accept this though.

If you can get 250 to 300 UCAS points from the 2 A Levels then go for it becaquse most Uni's would accepts that but I don't think many uni's would count the 1 AS towards your points. It is best to email any uni's you want to apply to and see what they say. That is what I did and many said they would not accept 2 A2s and 2AS so I just applied to the ones that said they did.

Thanks I shall do just that, and I might pick up another AS if I can.
Reply 70
Original post by razzmatazz rach
Hey everyone, I am starting in Radiography in September at Uni of Cumbria (Lancaster).

I was a reapplicant and over the two years I applied I have been made offers from Derby, Bangor, Liverpool, BCU and Uni of Cumbria.

If you have any questions about personal statements or applications and interviews for any of the uni's above I will try my best to answer.
Once I start I will also do my best to answer questions about the course and uni of Cumbria.

Hey Rach

In ur interview at derby, I remember u saying there were a lot of people. Do u knw if all of u were interviewed by the same people on the day or did they hav many interviews at the same time? Ive spoken to the admissions tutor a fair bit so i knw she wud remember me so hoping it wud be her..
Original post by MiteshG
Hey Rach

In ur interview at derby, I remember u saying there were a lot of people. Do u knw if all of u were interviewed by the same people on the day or did they hav many interviews at the same time? Ive spoken to the admissions tutor a fair bit so i knw she wud remember me so hoping it wud be her..

When you arrived you got given a sticker with your name on it and it was written in a colour. That determined what group you where in, I was in green. This is the group you where in for the group task. The interviewer that did the group task also does the individual interviews. The individual interviews were conducted by two people but one just wrote down what you said. So there was 10 different people at the interviews, 5 doing interviews and 5 writing down what you said.

There was also two women who lead everyone around and supervised the written part. I think one of those was the admissions tutor.
Reply 72
Hi, Im Sophie.
I am applying for Radiography hoping to start in 2012 :smile:
I got ABBB in my AS levels, and am hoping to apply to Leeds, Liverpool, Exeter, Derby and Portsmouth.

Does anyone have any info on any of these unis. Facilities/accom/teachers/any thing really, as I will only be going to the Exeter open day....

Thanks so much
xx
Reply 73
Any chance of me getting in?

Hey,
only discovered lately that i want to do diagnostic radiography at university i've just started my second year at sixth form. Bevause last year i didn't really know where i was heading and really had no motivation whatsoever i kinda messed up in my AS exams and ended up with BCD in english,geography and biology. i hope to bring these up this year by actually doing work out of class. and my gcse grades are 6A*s 4As and a C i was wondering do i have any chance of getting an offer from anywhere due to my poor AS grades or will i be okay once i just get some work experience at a hospital?

thank you.
......... oh i got CCDD in my AS's and i want to apply for 2012, anyone with better grades than me will have a good chance of getting in-
anyone know the liklyhood of geetting into Exter, i know it sounds rediculous with my grades but yknow...
:smile:
Reply 75
So, there was only 56 percent of people within a job. That does not sound very good.

Is there not enough radiography jobs out there?

I am a university lecturer in the midlands and 90% of our graduates currently have jobs who completed in June 2011, the job market is tougher than normal however there are peaks and troughs in NHS recruitment all the time as policy and governments change. I qualified in 1997 and the job market was non-existent, two years later there was an international shortage! There will always be a demand for diagnostic radiographers.
Reply 76
Original post by miss_limbu
Can Access to science course allow me to study Diagnostic Radiography?

or access to nursing and AS or A level physics ?

Thank you

Yes normally access to science or any access to health are accepted as standard but ensure you check the number of level 3 credits required for the institutes you wish to apply to. You will still need the GCSE requirements or equivalents. Access courses are also now fully graded so you will normally have a condition of meeting so many Dist Merits etc... and you have a lot of choice with the content so it would make sense to pick modules that are most relevant radiography.
Reply 77
Original post by Whatever9999
Thanks !
i have another question ,,do you need to do charity work !!is it necessary ?? i have done few other stuff but not charity work ,i'm currently trying to get a work experience in any hospital next week !
Oh and how do you prepare yourself for the uni interview what kind of questions do they tend to ask ? and what can i do to impress them ??

As an admissions tutor any additional charity work or caring experience will not do you any harm and certainly would be viewed in a positive light, but I would suggest caring related experience is more pertinent. Clinical experience in diagnostic imaging departments is your first and foremost priority!
Reply 78
Original post by hello123450
Just wondering, how important is chemistry to do Radiography... most Uni's dont ask for it but do you think they prefer it. I got a U in my AS chem, i hated it.. and obv dropping it.
However i am continuing Bio so i guess thats alright..?
x

You are best to check the online prospectus for all the institutes you wish to apply for, however chemistry is not integral to studying diagnostic radiography!
Reply 79
Original post by Whatever9999
Thanks for the help !
btw i was wondering what things should i talk about in my personal statement
to make me stand out !!

and do you know any website for uni ranking (radiography) ?

There will be new rankings available shortly, the most recent NSS scores have been collated and released. I will add though that you should not really use this to choose where you want to study, I am not biased because my own institute is always in the top five out of 24 but I never personally quote the ranking. The NSS score is a very crude tool and actually only one question determines the final ranking not an average of all of the responses! Plus the number of students completing it is often quite low and therefore not always representative of the experience had.

I would suggest you look at where you first will meet the entry criteria (no point in applying to one you do not) then shortlist where you want to go on, cost, travel etc.. and then actually go visit the places and ask loads of questions, you will know where you want to be after that.

Latest