The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography - 2012 Entry

Couldn't see a 2012 thread so thought I'd get the ball rolling but apologies if there is one kicking around!!

I'm 27 and planning on leaving my fairly well paid, secure job to study radiography at UCS next year!

I've got a days work experience at Ipswich Hospital sorted for next Thursday which I'm really looking forward t0o but a bit scared lol.

Begin an Acesss to Health Studies course in a couple of weeks which is 3 nights a week (staying at work for as long as I can!) which as long as I get enough credits at Distinction, will give me enough points to potentially get into uni.

Anyone else out there?? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm also thinking of applying to Diagnostic Radiography at the University of Salford, and have also secured a days work experience at a nearby hospital. If you don't mind me asking, why have you chosen to leave such a good job to study radiography?
Reply 2
Hey, wouldn't it's 'such a good job' lol its just secure etc. I work in personal injury claims for an insurance company, its just not very stimulating etc. I have a few friends who have done this and from in depth discussions with them about the job, it is something I would be interested in! I nearly applied 4 or so years ago but got cold feet!!
Reply 3
Lol I know what you mean, the only reason I'm considering it is because of job security, and also the fact that NHS funds for it, otherwise going to university for a second degree, really isn't an option for me, would cost me 40-50k without even blinking
Reply 4
What have your friends said about the intensity of the course, is it do-able with hard work, and what are the realistic earning potentials like?
Reply 5
Very doable as far as I'm concerned :-) There's an awful lot of physics by the sounds of it, and lot of clinical placement which might not be at a very local hospital (in my case at least).

You can get an idea of salaries from looking at the NHS Jobs site and also the pay scales.
Reply 6
Thanks, surely if there was a large amount of physics content, they would require the subject at A level, as is this case with Pharmacy wanting atleast Chem at A level (grade B). I like the practical element to the course, its very essential to have the practical experience.
I think its by far the best time to go back to education with the current economic turmoil, I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 7
Thanks. You too if you decide to apply!
Reply 8
I'm starting in September at derby :smile:

During the hospital experience every person I spoke to really liked their job, from students to veterans. Thats a good sign!

I do wonder about the security.. the government seems hell bent on messing up the NHS. But there will always be a need for radiographers, however as in many areas they may be squeezing more work out of less people.

If it makes you feel better from what I hear they only take on as many students as there will be jobs in three years time. That said its more or less intentionally recognized (you need to re take exams to practice in the US and Canada though..)

Also, according to one of the lecturers at derby, the funding is changing next year. How it would change, they didn't know. Hard to say how drastic it will be.. might only affect postgraduates in that it will have to be payed by student loan (which is reduced a fair whack), and undergraduates will have to pay the same way you would with other degree programs, but allot more... Hopefully I'm wrong on this and the NHS potentially being mangled..

Best of luck for next year though everyone, hopefully things will pick up soon :frown:
Reply 9
Hi Misterzed,

Do keep us posted on how the course turns out to be, and any specific pre-requisite knowledge which may benefit us before we get there. As far as I'm aware following several conversations with the NHS, the funding for the academic year 2012/2013 will remain the same as this year. Therefore the NHS will cover the tuition fee and you may also be entitled to a bursary depending on your situation.

Can you give us more detail on your hospital visit, what did it actually entail? was it challenging and insightful, or was it more theory based?

As far as the security factor is concerned, I will admit from previous experience and considering the current circumstances, you stand a much higher chance of employment within the health sector, so don't worry about that and go ahead with your chosen degree. What grades did you get? and what are derbys entry requirements? that is if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 10
Original post by Unknown00
Hi Misterzed,
Do keep us posted on how the course turns out to be, and any specific pre-requisite knowledge which may benefit us before we get there. As far as I'm aware following several conversations with the NHS, the funding for the academic year 2012/2013 will remain the same as this year. Therefore the NHS will cover the tuition fee and you may also be entitled to a bursary depending on your situation.

Can you give us more detail on your hospital visit, what did it actually entail? was it challenging and insightful, or was it more theory based?

As far as the security factor is concerned, I will admit from previous experience and considering the current circumstances, you stand a much higher chance of employment within the health sector, so don't worry about that and go ahead with your chosen degree. What grades did you get? and what are derbys entry requirements? that is if you don't mind me asking.

Will do..

Nope, just some gcse biology and chemistry from what I can gather.. apparently theres not really allot of "scarey" physics involved, they did mention checking out "inverse square law" (anyone who's done photography will be familiar with this, if not its easy anyhow..)
Apparently a guy had done a degree in physics actually found it a pain because it contradicted allot of what was being taught..

I had planned to get allot of reading done over summer but haven't had time.. but also when I've read things to death before lectures it made lectures boring.. could just be me though.. so just going to do some light reading :biggrin:

Good to hear about the funding though, it was a bit up in the air when I asked I reckon (I do have a habit to look on the doomy side as well)

My first day work experience was at a small hospital with only x-ray, everyone was mega nice and helpful.. unfortunately it had been snowing so allot of people weren't there for appointments. It was good to get an idea of how a smaller department operated though.

Second time was at derby royal, again everyone mega nice and helpful.. allot to see equipment wise and many interesting things going on. I even found what I might like to specialize in, but have a long time to decide..

Its worth making a list up of questions to ask.. there will be first, second and third year students around, and newly qualified practitioners so direct them accordingly :wink: but try not to ask stuff thats Googleable.. they are a mine of insider information so use questions wisely!

Try and ask some informed questions where possible. Engaging will look good, make the most of it! Don't be afraid to ask questions but know when to be out of the way and letting them do the job.
I think the experience will really vary from place to place.. I'm told some places you're expected to stand in the corner and observe, at derby and ilkeston they were great though.

What you should remember is they may already be forming opinions of you and word gets around.. so don't do anything that shows a major lack of common sense (for example, screeching "OMG!! WTF IS THAT?!?!" when seeing a patients x-ray image, a patient who is a meter away.. apparently this happened with somebody they had in for experience the week before me o_0)

tbh I'm not sure I can help with grades.. I did an access course at derby and went on to do a biology degree, which I've just finished. They told me they'd want a 2:1 ideally for post graduate entry (but I get the feeling it'd be down to what the level of applicants was at the time)

Yeh I'm pretty confident it'll be a safe job... the machines won't operate themselfs! My hope is to keep training as well and to specialize, maybe even get into research.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone for a vocational degree like this before.
Sadly purely academic degrees don't let you walk into a job quite like they might have 10 years ago (otherwise I'd probably be doing that after three years of working my ass off)
Many of my fellow students are scrabbling for PGCE places right now :frown:

hope thats helps, sorry its a ridiculously long reply!
Reply 11
Hey all!

I'm reapplying after A-Levels didn't go the way I wanted. I've moved to London and have applied for an Access Course (I'm 19, 20 this October). (Access to Radiography)

I plan to study Radiotherapy at Uni.

My choices are gonna be:
City
Liverpool
London South Bank
Hertfordshire
Sheffield Hallam.

Need to make a start on UCAS, but I won't know for sure what's happening until I know if I even get onto the access course :frown: Interview is next Tuesday!
Reply 12
Another thread for me to follow :tongue: I finish my course in February, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Original post by darreng
Couldn't see a 2012 thread so thought I'd get the ball rolling but apologies if there is one kicking around!!

I'm 27 and planning on leaving my fairly well paid, secure job to study radiography at UCS next year!

I've got a days work experience at Ipswich Hospital sorted for next Thursday which I'm really looking forward t0o but a bit scared lol.

Begin an Acesss to Health Studies course in a couple of weeks which is 3 nights a week (staying at work for as long as I can!) which as long as I get enough credits at Distinction, will give me enough points to potentially get into uni.

Anyone else out there?? :smile:

I'm a UCS Radiography student (starting September). They asked for 30 merit credits in no specific subject from my access course, but this could change next year and I hear sometimes your interview can reflect the offer they make to you.
Reply 14
Original post by The Egg Militia
I'm a UCS Radiography student (starting September). They asked for 30 merit credits in no specific subject from my access course, but this could change next year and I hear sometimes your interview can reflect the offer they make to you.

Ok cool :-)

I think it's changed then as when I spoke to them earlier this year, they said I needed distinctions at so many credits (can't remember the exact number) and the access course needed certain modules...

I'm doing Access at West Suffolk College, doing Radiography Pathway
Reply 15
Much appreciated Misterzed, a very informative response. Thank you.

FXX congrats for approaching the near end of your course. Any insight would be helpful, few questions if you don't mind answering,

1. What is the actual work load like?

2. Is it possible to continue with a part time job without it affecting ones studies/grades (20 hrs per week)?

3. Does it involve a high element of examinations or assignments, including any group work, projects and/or dissertations?

4. Is there a lot of problem solving involved, or is it more of a memorising task followed by regurgitation on the exam paper? :P

Cheers, will look forward to your reply.
Reply 16
Original post by Unknown00
Much appreciated Misterzed, a very informative response. Thank you.

FXX congrats for approaching the near end of your course. Any insight would be helpful, few questions if you don't mind answering,

1. What is the actual work load like?

2. Is it possible to continue with a part time job without it affecting ones studies/grades (20 hrs per week)?

3. Does it involve a high element of examinations or assignments, including any group work, projects and/or dissertations?

4. Is there a lot of problem solving involved, or is it more of a memorising task followed by regurgitation on the exam paper? :P

Cheers, will look forward to your reply.

1. It differs. First year it's quite light, they break you in gently. Second year gets really hectic, third year calms down a bit but there's more pressure on you on placement as you're expected to do most things, and your main focus at uni is the dissertation.

2. Yes - though if you have any dependants, then it might be tricky.

3. You get assessed in every kind of way possible. Essays, oral and written exams, presentations, poster creation, and practical assessments on placement. There's a dissertation in the third year, and there is some group work involved. Technically it should be half academic and half practical (ie half at uni, half at placement), but the actual proportions depends on the uni.

4. Exams are mostly about regurgitation, although you'll need to apply existing knowledge to new problems in the latter stages of the course. The job itself is all about problem solving. You'll realise that most radiography is easy, the skill comes when you have difficult patients. For example, how do you x-ray a child's elbow when they're crying their eyes out and refuse to move their arm? Stuff like that.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 17
Hello people

I don't know if there are only UK students studying diagnostic radiography or does other EU students apply to it? But Im gonna post this anyway, hoping to get an answer because the Swedish forums are not helpful. They are pretty much for people that wants to study economics or similar courses at oxford, Cambridge.

I'm planing to apply to diagnostic radiography but the thing is I don't really know if I have the qualifications for it. I have sent a mail to St George's but the woman there was not helpful, she just redirected me to their website. Which didn't help me at all. Is not like I don't understand it, it's just confusing with the A-levels and GCSEs.

Im a Swedish citizen and so we have a different school system, I didn't go to an IB school just a "regular" Swedish upper secondary school and with the old grading system (I graduated in 2009) we just have four grades, fail, pass, pass with distinction and pass with special distinction. I have pretty much studied all science subjects there are in Sweden at this level.

I haven't got the best grades, mostly pass with distinction and if I have to translate it, it would be a C. Except in math a, b and e were I just passed. Do you think this would be a problem for me?

I passed in physics A to but in physics B I got pass with distinction. But the other science subjects I have the highest grade.

About the language, I know I have to write the IELTS and get an 7 if I want to study at a Uni. in London.

I have heard that most universities don't like people taking gap years except when they are doing volunteer work, which I have done a bit. (At the red cross second hand boutique but I don't think it matters in this case). But Im about to start my third gap year but Im gonna work in Englad as I did last year.

Is there a possibility that I would get accepted or are the grades not that important.

If anyone knows anything, just anything of this, it would be great.

// Kiran
Yeyyy, I fall into this category, I'm applying in September and will start fresh from 6form (I will have just turned 18) only decided on 2 places I am definitely going to apply to as yet (Liverpool and Cumbria)

Can't wait!
Reply 19
Well just got back from a days experience at my local NHS hsopital. Had a great day and now 100% sure that it's what I want to do :-)

Got to meet the clinical lecturer first up who gave me some info on the degree course and then showed me round the various radiography departments.

Spent around 45 mins in each of the following departments:

- A&E X-Ray
- In-patients X-Ray
- CT
- MRI (got to find out just how strong the magnets are lol)
- Contrast and Fluoroscopy
- GP outpatients

Everyone was very welcoming and spent time explaining what they were doing and why. Also got to meet 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students so got to discuss the course etc with them.

Feel pretty exhausted after being on my feet all day lol.

Start my Access course next week so it's all falling into place now :-)

Latest