The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by The Polar Dude
Apparently PS is also used which is marked out of 30

Yeah but We don't know how many points were gonna get for ps so the poll will just be for ukcat and gcses (60)
Reply 41
You may be able to help me; which uni's discouraged you to apply and which uni's encouraged you to apply?

Thanks

whats your situation?

encouraged = leicester, manchester, newcastle, sheffield
others that dont go by AS grades are aberdeen, bsms, glasgow, nottingham, southampton and st andrews.

discouraged were queens, ucl, peninsula and oxbridge (obv.)

the rest just said that they have a minimum requirement for AS grade.

my choices are somewhat more limited though, this being my 3 year of applying and im not wanting to choose some of the same unis.

hope this is helpful
Original post by POWCATTY
whats your situation?

encouraged = leicester, manchester, newcastle, sheffield
others that dont go by AS grades are aberdeen, bsms, glasgow, nottingham, southampton and st andrews.

discouraged were queens, ucl, peninsula and oxbridge (obv.)

the rest just said that they have a minimum requirement for AS grade.

my choices are somewhat more limited though, this being my 3 year of applying and im not wanting to choose some of the same unis.

hope this is helpful

My AS grades are: ABBB :/
Do you mean queens mary queens Belfast
What's wrong with Peninsula, do they have high requirements or something?

Dude you helped loads thanks
Do you mean queens mary or queens Belfast

dude you helped loads thanks

just realised you're a chick :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Erotas
Yeah but We don't know how many points were gonna get for ps so the poll will just be for ukcat and gcses (60)

Yeahh, thats right, I just accidentally made it out of 30 - no idea how to change it now though? :s-smilie:
Reply 45
Do you mean queens mary queens Belfast

Dude you helped loads thanks

uh yeah probs belfast.
and peninsula ask for C as AS so youre fine with that.

most of the entry requirements are AAAb or AAAc, so you should be alright if you pick it up next year and get A's, it should be easier as the subjects dont get much harder its just more of the same stuff. you can get an A* overall with that A of yours (which you probably know already)

i got A*A*Ad and its the d which is apparently letting me down which i think is stupid, but im not on the admissions board so hey. its my bad, but its really affecting my chances of getting in (ive had 8 rejections so far). so for everyone reading this - study hard coz your AS DOES count at most unis!

good luck mate, let me know how it goes :smile:
Original post by POWCATTY
uh yeah probs belfast.
and peninsula ask for C as AS so youre fine with that.

most of the entry requirements are AAAb or AAAc, so you should be alright if you pick it up next year and get A's, it should be easier as the subjects dont get much harder its just more of the same stuff. you can get an A* overall with that A of yours (which you probably know already)

i got A*A*Ad and its the d which is apparently letting me down which i think is stupid, but im not on the admissions board so hey. its my bad, but its really affecting my chances of getting in (ive had 8 rejections so far). so for everyone reading this - study hard coz your AS DOES count at most unis!

good luck mate, let me know how it goes :smile:

Ok thanks and I'll add you as a mate to remember :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by twelve
Yeahh, thats right, I just accidentally made it out of 30 - no idea how to change it now though? :s-smilie:

ooooh - can't you delete it and then make a new one? If not are we voting for UKCAT or GCSE's? You could just change the name of the poll to the single one :tongue:
Original post by Erotas
Might be wrong but shouldn't the poll be out of 60? Ukcat = 30 gcses = 30

Nope you're right. The academics + UKCAT is out of 60, the PS has sections which are worth 6 each (if I'm not mistaken) and the three scores added together are out of 90...

Edit: Just saw this has been answered my bad :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
I think its not natural because you are being watched plus the additional pressure will be present
I prefer the standard 1 to 1 interviews, that's why I crossed of SGUL on my list

Fair enough, but there are definitely some pros to those types of interviews. I had my interview at SGUL back in April.

You get make new first impression at every station. If you mess up at one station you have time to redeem yourself elsewhere

In one on one interviews, if the interviewer isn't impressed than your screwed. with stations, every person will have different opinion of you (hopefully all good) but chances are you will impress some.

They are a preparation for medical school. OSCEs are common examination type in medical school, and they are extremely similar to the type of interviews you get at SGUL and UEA. If you can do good on these, then you chances at medical school look pretty good too

Its fine to have a preference, but don't rule out station interviews. It can be easier to impress someone in 5 minutes, than 20 minutes.

Also I wouldn't put all your eggs into one basket, with competition as strife as it is, there really isn't such thing as a bad medical school.
Reply 50
Sorry guys, fixed the poll now, thanks to helpful mods! :biggrin:
Reply 51
anyone has any idea how the international applicants will be graded for their GCEs as not everyone will have taken them? :smile:
Just a question here: Leicester say they are highly integrated teaching the disciplines of medical sciences together i.e. Pharmacology and Pathology etc.... So does this mean we are taught the medicals sciences together mixing systems of the body?

So NOT system based, just highly integrated?
Does anyone know what the cut off point was last year out of 90 or 60 for an interview
Original post by NinjaRikki
Just a question here: Leicester say they are highly integrated teaching the disciplines of medical sciences together i.e. Pharmacology and Pathology etc.... So does this mean we are taught the medicals sciences together mixing systems of the body?

So NOT system based, just highly integrated?

Bit of both really. The modules you learn are linked extensively with other modules in the course, so for example, your Cardiovascular System module in Semester 2 will rely on an understanding of the Membranes and Receptors module (Sem 2), Mechanisms of Disease module (Sem 2), Tissues of the Body (Sem 1), Metabolism (Sem 1), and Epidemiology/Health and Disease in Populations (Sem 1).

An example

Spoiler

Original post by Hippysnake
Bit of both really. The modules you learn are linked extensively with other modules in the course, so for example, your Cardiovascular System module in Semester 2 will rely on an understanding of the Membranes and Receptors module (Sem 2), Mechanisms of Disease module (Sem 2), Tissues of the Body (Sem 1), Metabolism (Sem 1), and Epidemiology/Health and Disease in Populations (Sem 1).

An example

Spoiler

Thanks a lot for that! I get what you mean :biggrin:
So does this mean the course is highly integrated but also system based would you say?

Also, what does it mean by case based approach and is that involved at Leicester medicine?
Original post by NinjaRikki
Thanks a lot for that! I get what you mean :biggrin:
So does this mean the course is highly integrated but also system based would you say?

Also, what does it mean by case based approach and is that involved at Leicester medicine?

Yep, there are alot of core systems based modules that are heavily linked together with each other along with the other non-systems modules.

Not too sure about that last part, but one a day a week we have Clinical Problem Solving which involved studying cases and bringing together knowledge from all the modules you've covered so far to aid in diagnosis/treatment.

Also, our exams are based on cases, for example

A 66 year old male presents to his GP complaining of shortness of breath, frothy sputum, lung crackles and pitting oedema on the ankles.

1) Define Heart Failure (2)
2) What is the most common cause of Right Sided Heart Failure? (1)
3) Explain how RS Heart Failure leads to Oedema in the ankles. (3)
4) What kind of drugs could you use to reduce the oedema? (1)
5) Give 2 differences between Cardiac Muscle and Smooth Muscle (1)
6) A study showed that a new type of Cardiac glycoside prolonged the life of patients with Congestive Heart Failure by 2 years (Confidence -0.7 to 3). Interpret this finding. (2)
7) By what other means do Cardiac Glycosides work, other than increase Chronotropy?
Does anyone know what the cut off point was last year out of 90 or 60 for an interview

This is the first year they are using this system so I don't think there was a previous cut off.. Does anyone have an idea of what sort of score out of 60 (just the UKCAT + GCSEs) would be deemed as "good" at this stage??
I'm going to score 57/60.

Does that put me in a good situation?
Reply 59
Original post by chats4england
I'm going to score 57/60.

Does that put me in a good situation?

I have 57/60 too but I don't know what position would be deemed as good because they haven't used it before :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending