The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by Doctor-to-be
UNCONDITIONAL. 21/03/2012 - Best day of my life ever!!

My offer changed from conditional to unconditional early March. I have literally never been so relieved/happy (understandably even happier than when I got the offer last year) Such a beautiful feeling. Anyhow, WELL DONE YOU! and definitely choose Leicester....:smile:
Original post by saecire
My offer changed from conditional to unconditional early March. I have literally never been so relieved/happy (understandably even happier than when I got the offer last year) Such a beautiful feeling. Anyhow, WELL DONE YOU! and definitely choose Leicester....:smile:

Firmed and applied for accomodation!!!!!! See you september !!
Reply 1262
Original post by Doctor-to-be
Firmed and applied for accomodation!!!!!! See you september !!

Ah how exciting! Last year someone created a facebook page for all those who had firmed Leicester for Medicine, let's hope we'll be seeing one of those once all the replies are back. See you then!
IS ANYBODY CLAIMING TRAVEL EXPENSES FOR THEIR INTERVIEW IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING FAR AWAY? THERE IS A CLAIM FORM ONLINE, HAS ANYBODY DONE THIS? xx
Anyone else got their interview on Wednesday? I feel so unprepared! :s-smilie:

Just a couple of questions, unrelated to interview content as I know you can't disclose that:
Are the time slots allocated at random or alphabetically?
And if we get an early time-slot (e.g. 9.30-10.30) can we leave as soon as we're finished?
Original post by Alison1075

Just a couple of questions, unrelated to interview content as I know you can't disclose that:
And if we get an early time-slot (e.g. 9.30-10.30) can we leave as soon as we're finished?

I've got one on Thursday but i'll be down on Wednesday. :smile: You'll be fine, Leicester is meant to have a lovely set of interviewers!

I have no answers to your questions. :colondollar:

However I will add some of my own. Was the order for interview decided by your score or was it just random? Also, is it a level playing playing field after interview?

Hope to see all you people in the beautiful Rum bar! :wink:

Random :smile: And yes, you can leave once you are finished but if you are assigned a late time slot you do have to wait for the other groups first :smile: Good luck!
Hi , can someone please clear this up for me. I understand that at Leicester it is a highly integrated course meaning there is early patient contact and a combination of lectures and group work? Now on the course catalogue it says that group work will centre around a clincally related problem, is that not PBL?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. my interview is on tuesday
thanks
Reply 1268
Original post by caterpillar1988
Hi , can someone please clear this up for me. I understand that at Leicester it is a highly integrated course meaning there is early patient contact and a combination of lectures and group work? Now on the course catalogue it says that group work will centre around a clincally related problem, is that not PBL?

thanks

I don't really know myself but having spoken to a 2nd year during the interview open day, there are typically only 2 hours of lectures early in the day. The group work isn't really PBL - it's more like going through some cases/questions which have supplemented the lectures that happened earlier, rather than a full-blown discussion on some case with minimal guidance. However, further clarification would be much appreciated.
Reply 1269
Hi guys, I know this might seem like a silly question but do you need to wear a jacket for the interview (girls)?

This is my only interview so I'm not sure what the dress code is like. Thanks :smile:
im not wearing a suit jacket, ill be sweating buckets so just a white shirt and skirt LOL
Original post by Metastasis
Random :smile: And yes, you can leave once you are finished but if you are assigned a late time slot you do have to wait for the other groups first :smile: Good luck!

Thank you! :smile:
I realise it was a little random, just wanted to know and now I'm hoping for an early slot so I can go shopping before my train home! Retail therapy if it all goes wrong ' ey? :biggrin:
Reply 1272
Original post by niminimi
Hi guys, I know this might seem like a silly question but do you need to wear a jacket for the interview (girls)?

This is my only interview so I'm not sure what the dress code is like. Thanks :smile:

The room we had to wait in for our interview was ridiculously hot (i think nerves may have contributed to this :colondollar: ) so i wouldn't wear a jacket.

Good luck for your interview! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by niminimi

I had my Leicester interview on the second of march (when it was a bit chillier than it was now) and I wore a suit dress and cardigan jacket thing. The other girls were wearing similar things, lots of blouses and suit skirt/trouser combo's. Just before the interview you leave all you stuff in a room so it might be worth bringing a jacket (as the tour may be cold) and then you can assess on the day whether to take it off just before the interview.
Hope this helps & good luck!!
Thank you! :smile:
I realise it was a little random, just wanted to know and now I'm hoping for an early slot so I can go shopping before my train home! Retail therapy if it all goes wrong ' ey? :biggrin:

I did that too :biggrin: Don't worry you'll be fine! All the best!
Does anyone know of any applicant days for offer holders? On the website it just says you'll be invited to one between December and April, and there was no information in the pack they sent me...
My mums coming with me but i undrstand she has to wait in the cafeteria but I really want her to come on the tour with me, is this possible? Surely it shouldnt be a problem?
UNCONDITIONAL OFFEERRRRR!

i'm actually so relieved because this is the third time I'm applying for medicine and the third time I've applied to leicester, so third time lucky?!

gonna firm it and see y'all in september! :biggrin:
My mums coming with me but i undrstand she has to wait in the cafeteria but I really want her to come on the tour with me, is this possible? Surely it shouldnt be a problem?

Check with the administrative staff over there? Because certain part of the tour involves going inside the lecture theatres itself then it would end inside the waiting room so there may be some issues there :/

Original post by penguin610
UNCONDITIONAL OFFEERRRRR!

i'm actually so relieved because this is the third time I'm applying for medicine and the third time I've applied to leicester, so third time lucky?!

gonna firm it and see y'all in september! :biggrin:

Congrats! When was your interview and are you an international? :smile:

thanks

Its not PBL. Basically we have two lectures a day. The group work we then do for a couple of hours and its usually based on the days lecture topic/ previous lecture topic. To try and keep it more clinical and interesting they tend to (though not always) try to keep it based on some clinical related problems ie diabetes. So a patient is diagnosed with diabetes... Then questions that follow could be like - Explain how the pancreas secretes insulin. A person with diabetes might be found in a coma - explain the mechanisms involved and explain why. Describe the blood glucose tests you could do and explain Red Blood Cells structure etc etc. You get the picture. Basically you go through the relevant science whilst seeing it in a clinical presentation.

Its a amazing course and all the interviewers will be really nice.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending