The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by nathans1102
Its not PBL. Basically we have two lectures a day. The group work we then do for a couple of hours and its usually based on the days lecture topic/ previous lecture topic. To try and keep it more clinical and interesting they tend to (though not always) try to keep it based on some clinical related problems ie diabetes. So a patient is diagnosed with diabetes... Then questions that follow could be like - Explain how the pancreas secretes insulin. A person with diabetes might be found in a coma - explain the mechanisms involved and explain why. Describe the blood glucose tests you could do and explain Red Blood Cells structure etc etc. You get the picture. Basically you go through the relevant science whilst seeing it in a clinical presentation.

Its a amazing course and all the interviewers will be really nice.

Hope that helps!

Oh that's cool, so it's a fully integrated course as advertised - cos I always thought the tutorial bits sounded like PBL. How long is each lecture generally?
Original post by caterpillar1988
My mums coming with me but i undrstand she has to wait in the cafeteria but I really want her to come on the tour with me, is this possible? Surely it shouldnt be a problem?

Mine didn't, but parent are allowed on the tours :smile:
Its not PBL. Basically we have two lectures a day. The group work we then do for a couple of hours and its usually based on the days lecture topic/ previous lecture topic. To try and keep it more clinical and interesting they tend to (though not always) try to keep it based on some clinical related problems ie diabetes. So a patient is diagnosed with diabetes... Then questions that follow could be like - Explain how the pancreas secretes insulin. A person with diabetes might be found in a coma - explain the mechanisms involved and explain why. Describe the blood glucose tests you could do and explain Red Blood Cells structure etc etc. You get the picture. Basically you go through the relevant science whilst seeing it in a clinical presentation.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for this, really cleared up a lot of confusion about the course!

Made me even more excited about the course.
Reply 1283
Does anyone know if any Y13 students have got offers? Or when we'll find out about our application? :s-smilie:
Original post by Luck
Does anyone know if any Y13 students have got offers? Or when we'll find out about our application? :s-smilie:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry#Leicester

Does that help? :smile:

Note: this is a small sample and is probably not representative...tbh it could all be lies. :wink: But, most people are inclined to believe this is an alright thing to use to draw some basic conclusions.

Hope that helps!

Hi :smile: Are you a current student? If so, could you tell me what the timetable is like in terms of timing? So around what time do the lectures start and what time do you finish lectures/tutorials? Is it the same every day, or does it vary?

Original post by fatimah7860
Hi :smile: Are you a current student? If so, could you tell me what the timetable is like in terms of timing? So around what time do the lectures start and what time do you finish lectures/tutorials? Is it the same every day, or does it vary?

Timetable is 9-1 every day, except for Wednesday when I think it starts at 8.30.

So a pretty sweet timetable :smile:
Original post by fallenangel
Timetable is 9-1 every day, except for Wednesday when I think it starts at 8.30.

So a pretty sweet timetable :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: What year are you in? Do you know if this s the same throughout the five years? Sorry about the questions - im trying to figure out which uni to firm :smile:
Thanks a lot :smile: What year are you in? Do you know if this s the same throughout the five years? Sorry about the questions - im trying to figure out which uni to firm :smile:

You're welcome :smile: I firmed my offer for september - so ill be starting then.

As far as I know:
1st year = 9-1pm
2nd year - 1-5pm

But I'm not sure what happens from 3 onwards - I assume clinicals start, so hospital attachments etc.

Where do you have offers? (congrats on having more than one) :wink:
You're welcome :smile: I firmed my offer for september - so ill be starting then.

As far as I know:
1st year = 9-1pm
2nd year - 1-5pm

But I'm not sure what happens from 3 onwards - I assume clinicals start, so hospital attachments etc.

Where do you have offers? (congrats on having more than one) :wink:

Thanks :smile: I've got offers from Leicester and Nottingham, which are two pretty similar universities.
Original post by Ivo
Oh that's cool, so it's a fully integrated course as advertised - cos I always thought the tutorial bits sounded like PBL. How long is each lecture generally?

Each lecture is an hour usually.

Yeah im in my first year. We have 9 starts everyday in the first year and are usually finished by 1. Probably once a week on average you do have stuff in the afternoons but its extra stuff (like we learnt to wash our hands yesterday..)

No its not the same throughout all years. Second year you start at 1.30/ 2 and finish at like 5. Third year im not so sure about, i think for the first half of it you stick to the same kind of thing, lectures and group work etc. Then after christmas you enter phase 2 and you get to go on placements and do loads of interesting clinical stuff in hospitals and GPs and just have lectures occasionally I think. The 4th and 5th years are the same kind of thing.

Oh and choose Leicester..
Reply 1291
Any ideas how performance at each station is scored and what the likely cut-off point for giving out offers will be?
whats the medical society like? are they good at organising mixers and stuff and nights out? x
Good luck to all those with interviews still to do! MMIs were a thoroughly enjoyable experience!
Each lecture is an hour usually.

Yeah im in my first year. We have 9 starts everyday in the first year and are usually finished by 1. Probably once a week on average you do have stuff in the afternoons but its extra stuff (like we learnt to wash our hands yesterday..)

No its not the same throughout all years. Second year you start at 1.30/ 2 and finish at like 5. Third year im not so sure about, i think for the first half of it you stick to the same kind of thing, lectures and group work etc. Then after christmas you enter phase 2 and you get to go on placements and do loads of interesting clinical stuff in hospitals and GPs and just have lectures occasionally I think. The 4th and 5th years are the same kind of thing.

Oh and choose Leicester..

Sounds exciting :smile: Thanks a lot, I love the timetable! I'm going to firm Leicester - Ive always preferred it over Nottingham. Is the workload okay? How many hours do you spend on work etc every day?
Reply 1295
Original post by caterpillar1988
whats the medical society like? are they good at organising mixers and stuff and nights out? x

Have a look at www.lusuma.com
Yeah im in my first year. We have 9 starts everyday in the first year and are usually finished by 1. Probably once a week on average you do have stuff in the afternoons but its extra stuff (like we learnt to wash our hands yesterday.

Original post by Lu-x
Have a look at www.lusuma.com

If the timetable is 9-1pm, how are the 4 hours spent? i.e. how many lectures are typically in one day?
Sounds exciting :smile: Thanks a lot, I love the timetable! I'm going to firm Leicester - Ive always preferred it over Nottingham. Is the workload okay? How many hours do you spend on work etc every day?

Leicester's way better than Nottingham :cool:

See you in september :smile:
Reply 1298
If the timetable is 9-1pm, how are the 4 hours spent? i.e. how many lectures are typically in one day?

Typically for me it was 2hrs of lectures (2 lectures), 30 min break, 1.5hrs group work. Then the occasional seminar in the afternoon.
Original post by Lu-x
Typically for me it was 2hrs of lectures (2 lectures), 30 min break, 1.5hrs group work. Then the occasional seminar in the afternoon.

Thank-you for that. How did you find adjusting to 1st year medicine, I'm pretty worried of not being able to cope academically. How do students generally find ESA1 in January and subsequently ESA2 and the OSCE in the summer? And also - how have you found your time to be at Leicester? (Apologies for all the questions)

I am genuinely excited about starting - Leicester seems like an incredible medical school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending