The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Has anyone else heard from Leicester since the last bout of offers on monday??? ... This wait is killing me :/
Reply 1301
Original post by fallenangel
Thank-you for that. How did you find adjusting to 1st year medicine, I'm pretty worried of not being able to cope academically. How do students generally find ESA1 in January and subsequently ESA2 and the OSCE in the summer? And also - how have you found your time to be at Leicester? (Apologies for all the questions)

I am genuinely excited about starting - Leicester seems like an incredible medical school :smile:

Most people cope quite well, ESA1 is always the hardest as you're not yet used to the exam system and they give no past papers. By the time ESA2 comes around you get a little more used to how they like asking questions. Again the OSCE is a bit of a scary experience first time around but the majority of people pass. Leicester is brilliant. You have a lot to look forward to. My advice though would be to enjoy your summer holiday as much as possible, the hard work starts in Sept!
Reply 1302
I've just declined my offer, I really loved Leicester but Leeds is a better fit for me, good luck to everyone still waiting :smile:.
Reply 1303
Original post by -Simon-
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry#Leicester

Does that help? :smile:

Note: this is a small sample and is probably not representative...tbh it could all be lies. :wink: But, most people are inclined to believe this is an alright thing to use to draw some basic conclusions.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Lu-x
Most people cope quite well, ESA1 is always the hardest as you're not yet used to the exam system and they give no past papers. By the time ESA2 comes around you get a little more used to how they like asking questions. Again the OSCE is a bit of a scary experience first time around but the majority of people pass. Leicester is brilliant. You have a lot to look forward to. My advice though would be to enjoy your summer holiday as much as possible, the hard work starts in Sept!

Really appreciated the response - so thank-you!

With the exception of all the assessments/exams - I'm pretty excited. Agreed, I'm definitely trying to make the most of my year out, although I don't want it to end - I can't wait for september.

Does the medical school provide decent support or is it like a 'you're at university now, so it's independant?' Also apart from exams does Leicester require essays/additional deadlines as form of assessment or is purely exam based?

Sorry for all the questions, there aren't many Leicester medics on this forum aha :smile:
Reply 1305
Got an offer from Liverpool, just waiting on Leicester now.

SO BADLY WANT ONE FROM LEICESTER! lol
Original post by Jester93

Congrats on the offer man - where would you firm?
Original post by Metastasis
Check with the administrative staff over there? Because certain part of the tour involves going inside the lecture theatres itself then it would end inside the waiting room so there may be some issues there :/

Congrats! When was your interview and are you an international? :smile:

Interviewed 31st January, home student.
Reply 1308
Original post by fallenangel
Really appreciated the response - so thank-you!

With the exception of all the assessments/exams - I'm pretty excited. Agreed, I'm definitely trying to make the most of my year out, although I don't want it to end - I can't wait for september.

Does the medical school provide decent support or is it like a 'you're at university now, so it's independant?' Also apart from exams does Leicester require essays/additional deadlines as form of assessment or is purely exam based?

Sorry for all the questions, there aren't many Leicester medics on this forum aha :smile:

The support is brilliant. Both academically and pastoral support, can't fault it. There's always someone you can email/go to with problems.

There was a 10,000 word dissertation to do in my 3rd year (there was talk of getting rid of this, so not sure if its still done now, may have been replaced with something else), but the GMC bang on about medical schools producing 'reflective' doctors, so you will have to do lots of reflective writing, fairly easy albeit a pain sometimes. You will have to continue reflective practice after graduation though so its all good prep.
Original post by Lu-x
The support is brilliant. Both academically and pastoral support, can't fault it. There's always someone you can email/go to with problems.

There was a 10,000 word dissertation to do in my 3rd year (there was talk of getting rid of this, so not sure if its still done now, may have been replaced with something else), but the GMC bang on about medical schools producing 'reflective' doctors, so you will have to do lots of reflective writing, fairly easy albeit a pain sometimes. You will have to continue reflective practice after graduation though so its all good prep.

I've heard about the 'reflective writing' - but it doesn't seem too bad I guess.

Thanks a lot for all the answers :smile:
That was just surreal :K:
Now the wait begins....
Any idea how long us stragglers will have to wait to hear our fate?
Reply 1311
Original post by Jester93

I'm in exactly the same position as you... it looks like we're definately going to end up in the same uni. I desperately want Leicester too!!
Reply 1312
How long does each mini station last??
Had my interview on the 28th of March, how long do they usually take to get back to you?
Reply 1314
good luck with your application, I am still waiting (nervously)

I cant check my email today because I am off on an DofE expedition (gold) So wont know if i get an offer(or rejection) till tuesday

cya!
Original post by Muattaz.Kazzam
Had my interview on the 28th of March, how long do they usually take to get back to you?

I had one on the 27th and they told me early April. :wink:
Reply 1316
have many people from the 2nd March heard back yet?
Original post by sam43
How long does each mini station last??

8 Minutes with 2 minutes rest.

It was a pretty intense interview. :L Are all interviews finished now?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by warmlaptop
I had one on the 27th and they told me early April. :wink:

Oh thank god i have an offer then, i'm really not up for obsessively checking my email every day AGAIN! Thanks and good luck :smile:
I had my interview of 28th feb, am I meant to have heard back, as I haven't? And I thought today was the deadline?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending