The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by demesto
In regard to the GCSE ranks, do they mean you can include your best 6 GCSE grades, so long as at least one science/ english/ math is included.

I got : A* in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies and (RS/PE short course = 1 GCSE)
A in English literature, English language and Maths

would I be right in thinking that my total score out of 30 would be 28? I.e. counting Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies as 5 and English literature and Maths as 4?

pleeaase answer, I got a really vague and probably automated email from the Uni, directing me back to the website!

No one is really sure about this. But in the document they state including Science, English and Maths. They don't really say at least one, so I'm guessing they use all of them :eek: I think they would most likely count Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths,English Lang and then your next best 1 :confused: Possibly try calling them? I've tried but they don't answer :s-smilie:
Reply 121
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
No one is really sure about this. But in the document they state including Science, English and Maths. They don't really say at least one, so I'm guessing they use all of them :eek: I think they would most likely count Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths,English Lang and then your next best 1 :confused: Possibly try calling them? I've tried but they don't answer :s-smilie:

Yeah I thought that as well. I hope so because it'll mean I get 28 instead of 27.

I don't think it's just you thet haven't answered to. I read a couple of posts ago that they were vague and just directed them to the website.

Do you happen to know whether they allow modular retakes so long as your just trying to boost your UMS score rather than enter the next grade boundary?
Original post by demesto
Yeah I thought that as well. I hope so because it'll mean I get 28 instead of 27.

I don't think it's just you thet haven't answered to. I read a couple of posts ago that they were vague and just directed them to the website.

Do you happen to know whether they allow modular retakes so long as your just trying to boost your UMS score rather than enter the next grade boundary?

I'm going to try give them a call tomorrow and see what they say! I hope they only count English, Science & Maths if they are within the top 6 :frown: I have no idea about their re-sits policy, sorry :frown:
Reply 123
Also, does anyone know what the initial assessment part entails (the combined UKCAT and academics out of 60).

Is there a cut off point after all submissions, i.e. 'the lowest scoring candidates will not be considered further'

Would 55/60 be enough to get into the reference/ personal statement process?
Here's my situation in academics:

AS - aaab (b in physics and I'm going to continue physics next year .... hopefully get an A finally)

UKCAT - doing next week (probably get a low score ... like around 600 )

So, how many marks could I get for academics?? Would it be good enough?
Reply 125
Original post by demesto
Also, does anyone know what the initial assessment part entails (the combined UKCAT and academics out of 60).

Is there a cut off point after all submissions, i.e. 'the lowest scoring candidates will not be considered further'

Would 55/60 be enough to get into the reference/ personal statement process?

Nobody will know, not even the university until much later on in the cycle (after everyone has applied and been ranked basically) Presumably there would be a cutoff point, and they wouldn't bother reviewing the lowest scoring, but there's no way of knowing what the but off will be.

Original post by histephenson007
Here's my situation in academics:

AS - aaab (b in physics and I'm going to continue physics next year .... hopefully get an A finally)

UKCAT - doing next week (probably get a low score ... like around 600 )

So, how many marks could I get for academics?? Would it be good enough?

Read the original post/leicester admissions document on their website, and you'll be able to work out your score. If you read it, you'll find they base it on GCSE's anyway.
Depending on how the UKCAT goes, I might be in.

When they say they count English as one of the GCSE's, what if someone has done the double award English, would both of them count, or just the English language? I sure as hell hope it's just English language because I'd otherwise have 6 A*'s but no including English, so that'll bring it down to 5A*'s 1A / 4A*'s 1A 1B (if the double award was included).

God damn that one mark. :facepalm2:
Do these guys look at AS results? Please someone answer!!!
Reply 128
They replied to my email regarding scoring of GCSE's!!!

I sent them my top 8 GCSE's and asked them what score I would get, they used all my sciences for triple science even though I got AAB and they only used English Language instead of Lang+Lit (they were the same grade).

Unfortunately that brings my combined score to 51 which is less than I originally thought :redface:
Original post by Cheddar

I sent them my top 8 GCSE's and asked them what score I would get, they used all my sciences for triple science even though I got AAB and they only used English Language instead of Lang+Lit (they were the same grade).

Unfortunately that brings my combined score to 51 which is less than I originally thought :redface:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad::mad: They can't count my B in Physics :eek: Okay do they seriously expect candidates 6 best GCSEs to be 6A*s..
Reply 130
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :mad::mad: They can't count my B in Physics :eek: Okay do they seriously expect candidates 6 best GCSEs to be 6A*s..

I don't see why not - Birmingham won't accept anyone with less than 8A*'s anymore... When you compare it to that, Leicester don't care about GCSE's at all!
Reply 131

I know right :frown:... so what's your score now?
Original post by Cheddar
I know right :frown:... so what's your score now?

Let's just hope they have a low cut-off before they review the statements! My score is 52 :frown:
Reply 133
i kind of discounted leicester because i thought my UKCAT let me down with avg of 667.5 which i think is 26/30. But after reading this thread i'm having second thoughts because i achieved 6A*'s in both english lit and lang, maths and all three seperate sciences. this I believe will give me 30/30, correct me if i'm wrong i'm really not sure. Would 56/60 be enough...i also have achieved AAAA at a-level...will this be considered at all??

Sorry for the mazz q's :smile:
Im confused. Do they not consider language and literature seperately?:confused:
I just found out my school will not give predicted grades for my grade 12 grades... What should I do?
Original post by Cheddar

So they only count one english, but all sciences? :confused:
Reply 137
Anyone know if Leicester accept further maths as the fourth AS level?
Is Biology necessary at A2 for Leicester?
Reply 139
Original post by jmillslittle
So they only count one english, but all sciences? :confused:

Well this was the email I sent,
me
Dear Sir/Madam,

Having read the selection procedure for 2012, I was just writing to find out more about how GCSE's are scored. For example my GCSE's are
Maths - A*
English Language - B
English Literature - B
Biology - B
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
French - A*
Textiles - A

Would you choose the best 6 including 1 of each from Maths, Science and English e.g Maths - A*, French - A*, Chemistry - A, Physics - A, Textiles - A, English Language - B
or would the top 6 include all of Maths, Science and English e.g. Maths - A*, Biology - B, Chemistry - A, Physics - A, English Literature- B, English Language - B

I hope you can help me with this question.

Kind Regards,

and they replied with
leicester medical admissions
Dear X

Many thanks for your email of 25 August 2011 and apologies for the delay in our response.

You would score Maths 5, Biology 3, Chemistry 4, Physics 4, English Language 3, French 5.

Please open the following web-link for information regarding scoring of applications for 2012 entry: http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/admissnews.html

With kind regards

Dr K P West

Soo.. I'm not really sure, best to email individually I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending