The Student Room Group

Nandos Thread (please read)

I recently handed in my CV to my local Nandos restaurant. They got back in touch with me a few days later asking me to be interviewed there. The interview itself was nothing like I imagined it to be, it was very casual and the questions were based on when you can work, and how you can get home at night etc. Well anyway they got back in touch with me 3 days after the interview and they are bringing me in for a non-paid 3hour trial shift to see how I am working.

I have a lot of fear for the trial shift, because they haven't given me the impression that they are going to support and train me on the shift. The menu for Nandos is huge! Has anyone else had a trial shift and can you please explain what you did.
Reply 1
Hi! I'm in exactly the same situation, I've been offered the trial shift and I'm so nervous! No idea what exactly its going to include! Good luck with it!x
They wont be looking for much (no offence meant by this)

They will just want you to keep your cool, be able to communicate effectively and to see you're careful with what you do.

I know what managers expect from OJE's at McDonalds, so I can only imagine the expectations at Nando's are similar. Good luck to you both.
Reply 3
The idea of the Trial shift is not only to guage your customer service skills and handling of pressure but to see how well you work with the other team members. Bear in mind that after your trial shift the Manager and Team will have a meeting and decide together how well you did.
Reply 4
I had my trial shift last night and it basically involved working front of house, seating customers at their tables. Clearing tables and putting plates away. Handing out food. It lasted for 3 hours and I got free food at the end of it.
Reply 5
The problem that I have is that I had my trial shift last Sunday and they haven't got back to me yet! I rang them up during the week in which they said they still haven't decided on those who had their trial shift but they would call me to let me know even if I didn't get the job
Do you have any tips for making a good CV nandos would like? Thanks in advance
Original post by owen1994
I recently handed in my CV to my local Nandos restaurant. They got back in touch with me a few days later asking me to be interviewed there. The interview itself was nothing like I imagined it to be, it was very casual and the questions were based on when you can work, and how you can get home at night etc. Well anyway they got back in touch with me 3 days after the interview and they are bringing me in for a non-paid 3hour trial shift to see how I am working.

I have a lot of fear for the trial shift, because they haven't given me the impression that they are going to support and train me on the shift. The menu for Nandos is huge! Has anyone else had a trial shift and can you please explain what you did.

Hey do you know any tips on how to make a good CV nandos would like? I'd really appreciate your help
Thank you
Reply 8
Does nando's have a quota they have: to employ, say, 1 in 50 people who do an unpaid work trial?
I did a couple of hours for free without training and nobody told me to wash my hands before cooking the chicken. I had to phone them up to be told I didn't get the job!
Original post by DukeW
Does nando's have a quota they have: to employ, say, 1 in 50 people who do an unpaid work trial?
I did a couple of hours for free without training and nobody told me to wash my hands before cooking the chicken. I had to phone them up to be told I didn't get the job!

What? Your handling food you should be washing your hands. You shouldn't have anyone telling you that it's common sense.
Reply 10
What's the quota? How many applicants do they have to take on - if any?
Original post by DukeW

Oh no, that's dangerous! Did they also forget to tell you not to put your head in the oven or stab yourself with the knives?!!

Obvious point is obvious.
Reply 12
Neglecting training work-trialists in food hygiene IS dangerous. Not having a qualification in hygiene can lead to salmonella, staphlocosoros, E. coli and other diseases. Back to the point: nando's doesn't have a legal quota that they need to fulfil - they can get thousands of hours of free work from applicants right across the country but not even give jobs to us. The government needs to outlaw this kind of abuse.
Original post by DukeW
Neglecting training work-trialists in food hygiene IS dangerous. Not having a qualification in hygiene can lead to salmonella, staphlocosoros, E. coli and other diseases. Back to the point: nando's doesn't have a legal quota that they need to fulfil - they can get thousands of hours of free work from applicants right across the country but not even give jobs to us. The government needs to outlaw this kind of abuse.

In reality the did not employ you because you were useless.
Reply 14
[QUOTE=sleepingsunshine;59605905]In reality the did not employ you because you were useless.
Yes I'm useless. How many work-trialists do they get through? How much free work do they get from us 'useless' unpaid applicants?
Original post by DukeW
Yes I'm useless. How many work-trialists do they get through? How much free work do they get from us 'useless' unpaid applicants?

As many as they need to find the right person for the job. If your first trial person fits every criteria you want then one, sometimes it might take several, maybe even dozens of attempts. Tougher interviews to whittle it down to a smaller group would be better
Reply 16
[QUOTE=IanDangerously;59610569]As many as they need to find the right person for the job. If your first trial person fits every criteria you want then one, sometimes it might take several, maybe even dozens of attempts. Tougher interviews to whittle it down to a smaller group would be better
It sounds like it is open to abuse. What's to stop nando's getting thousands of free hours out of us applicants?
Can someone please tell me if I can get the thighs with a red reward? I know they're excluded from orange....
Reply 18
They used me on a busy Saturday night! Previous kitchen experience, I got the hang of it after about an hour. No training at all. Got a free sandwich at the end of a 5 hour shift. I had to call them after 3 weeks just to see what was what, to be told there was no position. You dodged a bullet. **** that company!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending