The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by thesalamander123
Trinity Hall :smile: I'd be right next to your college... If we both got in :P How's the BMAT prep going?

yeah! :smile: haha alright i suppose, i doubt it will go particularly well for me, but im trying my best haha how about you?

where else have you applied? what were your module scores, if you dont mind me asking (seeing as your applying to cam :tongue:)? :smile:
Original post by Kooala
Mines in the morning, at 11.45. At least I'll enjoy the tour without worrying about my interview :wink: lol. I've applied to leicester, BSMS and cambridge. What about you?

How many days before your interview letter did you guys get your confirmation email from Bham ?
Original post by OliHudson
yeah! :smile: haha alright i suppose, i doubt it will go particularly well for me, but im trying my best haha how about you?

where else have you applied? what were your module scores, if you dont mind me asking (seeing as your applying to cam :tongue:)? :smile:

How many days before your interview letter did you guys get your confirmation email from Bham ?

Oops multiquoting didn't work !
Original post by Friar Chris
Indeed. Always confuses me because a 'Semesters' implies two terms, when there are actually three and so should be called 'Trimesters'. I shall however digress; I believe they label it as such because there is only scheduled teaching in the first two terms and the third in summer is just exam season.

Some people get the GPs in the local area or close by in Birmingham (exempli gratia for my second year I'm in Edgbaston which isn't so bad), but then others have to go to Wolverhampton, Hereford et cetera :biggrin:.

Just sounds americanified! I heard in your 3rd year, you can work at a local hospital ?...quite like when you're a jr doctor ...but I don't think that's true!
Reply 224
Original post by thesalamander123
Trinity Hall :smile: I'd be right next to your college... If we both got in :P How's the BMAT prep going?

trinity hall is SUCH a nice college :smile: my brother's there and its awesome :smile:
Reply 225
A bit late replying to this thread but I'm applying :smile: I adore the campus at Birmingham!
Reply 226
Original post by Jasmine_777

Oops multiquoting didn't work !

i got my email of confirmation on tuesday 27th and got my letter for interview on the 30th :smile:
Hey, I'm applying! I sent my UCAS off yesterday, and was just wondering how long it took for everyone to get interviews?
Good luck to everyone!
Original post by Jasmine_777
Just sounds americanified! I heard in your 3rd year, you can work at a local hospital ?...quite like when you're a jr doctor ...but I don't think that's true!

Hahaha oh dear...

In your third, fourth & fifth years you spend most of your time in hospitals, on the wards and in surgery! They're the clinical years and that's how you learn; it's not an option :tongue:... One goes on rotations in different specialities and varying hospitals, inevitably being the dogsbody of the ward you're on; clerking patients, taking blood, shadowing SHOs and Registrars and generally getting your hands dirty in the name of medical education :tongue:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by brightset

Original post by brightset
A bit late replying to this thread but I'm applying :smile: I adore the campus at Birmingham!

It's a pitty, i've been here 3 weeks now and never have i ventured into the proper "campus". Vale --> Med School --> Vale --> Sports/Go out.
Original post by gozatron
It's a pitty, i've been here 3 weeks now and never have i ventured into the proper "campus". Vale --> Med School --> Vale --> Sports/Go out.

This is roughly how being a medical student works :tongue:.

This is roughly how being a medical student works :tongue:.

Once you discover that short cut from Mason, along Farquhar road, to the med school you officially cut off all contact with the campus haha :tongue:
Once you discover that short cut from Mason, along Farquhar road, to the med school you officially cut off all contact with the campus haha :tongue:

Oh dear, you didn't walk via campus first day did you? Farquhar is the general trunk road for all things first-year-medical :biggrin:. Damned nice houses on it, too :tongue:.

Oh dear, you didn't walk via campus first day did you? Farquhar is the general trunk road for all things first-year-medical :biggrin:. Damned nice houses on it, too :tongue:.

Urgh yes... upto the guild then plow straight through, dodge the mile-long university station que and then fumble around trying to get past that new bastard swipe card enterance. The houses their are lovely! So depressing to then go to selly oak and see what you'll actually be living in next year...
Urgh yes... upto the guild then plow straight through, dodge the mile-long university station que and then fumble around trying to get past that new bastard swipe card enterance. The houses their are lovely! So depressing to then go to selly oak and see what you'll actually be living in next year...

Smelly Oak is a dump :tongue: ; but people still live there because all their friends go there; it's like the student 'quarter'...

I live in Harborne this year; much, MUCH nicer for the same price... Got a lake 30 seconds down the road which has about 30 ducks, a pair of canada geese and a heron and it's generally leafy, quieter and safer here... And of course, Harborne High Street is brilliant (M&S, Sainsbury's, Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge and even Home Bargains for dirt cheap biscuits and Thornton's stuff) and where I live one can literally see the QE from upstairs.

Only downside is that whilst it's roughly the same distance as Smelly Oak from the Med School (if not a little closer depending on where in Harborne one goes), it's twice as far to Selly Oak so it's harder to see friends as much since one can't just walk down the street and knock on the door.

Otherwise, I'm paying £70 per week including all bills (water, elec, gas), TV licence and internet; and the flat is reaally reaaaally nice compared to Selly Oak (my room even came with paintings, double bed, all sorts :tongue:), as well as being far cheaper than a lot of the shabbier places in S. Oak :smile:.
Hi I'm applying!! Just sent my UCAS form off.......scary stuff :eek:
Smelly Oak is a dump :tongue: ; but people still live there because all their friends go there; it's like the student 'quarter'...

I live in Harborne this year; much, MUCH nicer for the same price... Got a lake 30 seconds down the road which has about 30 ducks, a pair of canada geese and a heron and it's generally leafy, quieter and safer here... And of course, Harborne High Street is brilliant (M&S, Sainsbury's, Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge and even Home Bargains for dirt cheap biscuits and Thornton's stuff) and where I live one can literally see the QE from upstairs.

Only downside is that whilst it's roughly the same distance as Smelly Oak from the Med School (if not a little closer depending on where in Harborne one goes), it's twice as far to Selly Oak so it's harder to see friends as much since one can't just walk down the street and knock on the door.

Otherwise, I'm paying £70 per week including all bills (water, elec, gas), TV licence and internet; and the flat is reaally reaaaally nice compared to Selly Oak (my room even came with paintings, double bed, all sorts :tongue:), as well as being far cheaper than a lot of the shabbier places in S. Oak :smile:.

How much do you know about Tennis court? Do a lot of medics tend to go there?
Original post by marc_h94
How much do you know about Tennis court? Do a lot of medics tend to go there?

Tennis Court is a hall; we were talking about the locations people rent houses in for living after moving out of halls.

Loads of people live in TC during their first year; medics aren't particularly more concentrated in any particular hall or village tbh; there seemed a reasonable spread between the Vale and Pritchatt's, as well as between the different halls in the Vale.

I was in Mason, but being a medic had nothing really to do with it :tongue:.

SomeoneYouDon'tKnow
I've applied to Birmingham.

They're giving out interviews already?! :eek:

Yes, the first are on Wednesday 19th October, and then they're usually on Mon/Wed/Fri thereafter.
Reply 238
Tennis Court is a hall; we were talking about the locations people rent houses in for living after moving out of halls.

Loads of people live in TC during their first year; medics aren't particularly more concentrated in any particular hall or village tbh; there seemed a reasonable spread between the Vale and Pritchatt's, as well as between the different halls in the Vale.

I was in Mason, but being a medic had nothing really to do with it :tongue:.

Yes, the first are on Wednesday 19th October, and then they're usually on Mon/Wed/Fri thereafter.

Interview on the 24th! Love you Bharm!!!! :biggrin: But I'm sooooo scared as well...
I don't know anything! Ahhhhh where do I start !!??
Reply 239
Interview on the 21st. 0_0

Absolutely bricking it.

Any tips? :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending