The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insanity514
My UCAS STILL hasn't been sent.
Starting to get worried about not getting and interview from Bgham now :frown:

Mine took ages too.. you're from QE right?
Took a week for my tutor to do my reference then a week for it to be actually sent off after that..
But they seem to be getting through them now so you shouldnt have to wait long
And, dont worry.. as long as you get it in before the deadline you'll still have a good chance - after all its the actual application that matters the most. :smile:
Original post by Immi :)
Interview for 26th!! soo excited but need to change it as am away :/ didnt realise they would be so early!

Congrats! How many days after the acknowledgement did you get your interview letter? :smile:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Mine took ages too.. you're from QE right?
Took a week for my tutor to do my reference then a week for it to be actually sent off after that..
But they seem to be getting through them now so you shouldnt have to wait long
And, dont worry.. as long as you get it in before the deadline you'll still have a good chance - after all its the actual application that matters the most. :smile:

Yeah I'm from QE
Have you got an interview?
Original post by Insanity514
Yeah I'm from QE
Have you got an interview?

No, college only sent in my application on Thursday.. havent even got the welcome letter from UCAS yet! :tongue:
Reply 284
Original post by itsme2011
do you mind me asking when you sent off your application? Also did track update with an invitation or did you just get a letter from bham ?

sent mine off on the 28th september ishh i think...
I can't send off my application until Monday. Will I be at a huge disadvantage?
Original post by confused dot com
I can't send off my application until Monday. Will I be at a huge disadvantage?

No.. I cant imagine it would be huge..
Its known that it is slightly advantageous to send your application earlier for Birmingham.. but I guess it really is slight. The most important thing is your application.

As a general note.. stop worrying if you havent sent your application yet (just send it in before the 15th!!) :smile:
No.. I cant imagine it would be huge..
Its known that it is slightly advantageous to send your application earlier for Birmingham.. but I guess it really is slight. The most important thing is your application.

As a general note.. stop worrying if you havent sent your application yet (just send it in before the 15th!!) :smile:

Actually I reckon it's actually an advantage to send it closer to the deadline; you get more time to prepare for the interview, especially if you're also taking and preparing for the BMAT. I pity those of you with interviews this month!
You may be lower down on the interview list but if you're good enough to get an interview you'll get an interview.
Original post by marc_h94
Actually I reckon it's actually an advantage to send it closer to the deadline; you get more time to prepare for the interview, especially if you're also taking and preparing for the BMAT. I pity those of you with interviews this month!
You may be lower down on the interview list but if you're good enough to get an interview you'll get an interview.

Mmm.. but its getting the interviews! :s-smilie:
Birmingham have upped requirements mid-way through cycles in past years, so the people who sent in applications earlier would have only have faced the lower interview criteria.
But yeah, interviews this month would scare me soo much, but I suppose its good to get it over with and really progress with your application

But, again people, dont stress if your application hasnt been sent off yet :smile:
Reply 289
Original post by Blackshadow
Congrats! How many days after the acknowledgement did you get your interview letter? :smile:

about 3 days after acknowledgement from birmingham, which itself was a few days after UCAS acknowledgement
Reply 290
Mmm.. but its getting the interviews! :s-smilie:
Birmingham have upped requirements mid-way through cycles in past years, so the people who sent in applications earlier would have only have faced the lower interview criteria.
But yeah, interviews this month would scare me soo much, but I suppose its good to get it over with and really progress with your application

But, again people, dont stress if your application hasnt been sent off yet :smile:

Erm... no they haven't.
Any other interviewees completely bricking it? I can say I am, I just end up tripping over my own words all the time, how am I going to survive in interview?!
Original post by SomeoneYouDon'tKnow
I hope I get my email (and interview letter!) from Birmingham soon, I've been waiting anxiously all week but still haven't heard anything. :s-smilie: I sent my form off last Mon, and got the UCAS letter on Thurs so if I'm lucky I might get the email tomorrow. How long did it take for other people to get theirs?

Haha I feel the same way :P

+rep
Original post by My-My-My
Erm... no they haven't.

Didnt they up the GCSE cut-off from to 7 to 8 A*s mid-way through the cycle last year? :confused:

Meh, may just be a TSR rumour.. :colondollar:
Reply 294
Original post by instrumentalist
Any other interviewees completely bricking it? I can say I am, I just end up tripping over my own words all the time, how am I going to survive in interview?!

ahh I stammer so much too when i'm nervous!! :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey, just a quick little update on the use of AS grades at Birmingham. I received this email from Austen Spruce, the admissions tutor:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry. The AS grades have become of more importance than GCSE results (for applicants who meet the 7 A* threshold). But, within an AS results band, GCSE results will be the "tie-breaker" as you put it. We do not know where the threshold will lie for each different academic aspect.

We read the personal statement to ensure there is sufficient and significant work experience and extra-curricular involvement.

Regards,

Austen Spruce
Hey, just a quick little update on the use of AS grades at Birmingham. I received this email from Austen Spruce, the admissions tutor:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry. The AS grades have become of more importance than GCSE results (for applicants who meet the 7 A* threshold). But, within an AS results band, GCSE results will be the "tie-breaker" as you put it. We do not know where the threshold will lie for each different academic aspect.

We read the personal statement to ensure there is sufficient and significant work experience and extra-curricular involvement.

Regards,

Austen Spruce

Does Dr Spruce do the admissions these days? Prof Lote used to...
Original post by Friar Chris

Does Dr Spruce do the admissions these days? Prof Lote used to...

Yeah I think Prof Lote got replaced by him from what I've seen said on TSR. Dr Spruce also gave the talk at the open day
Yeah I think Prof Lote got replaced by him from what I've seen said on TSR. Dr Spruce also gave the talk at the open day

Guess Prof Lote is too busy trying to sell second years his textbook :teehee:.
Reply 299
Guess Prof Lote is too busy trying to sell second years his textbook :teehee:.

haha
are both of them nice ? :smile:
what ages are they roughly?

Quick Reply

Latest