Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanity514)
    My UCAS STILL hasn't been sent.
    Starting to get worried about not getting and interview from Bgham now
    Mine took ages too.. you're from QE right?
    Took a week for my tutor to do my reference then a week for it to be actually sent off after that..
    But they seem to be getting through them now so you shouldnt have to wait long
    And, dont worry.. as long as you get it in before the deadline you'll still have a good chance - after all its the actual application that matters the most.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immi :))
    Interview for 26th!! soo excited but need to change it as am away :/ didnt realise they would be so early!
    Congrats! How many days after the acknowledgement did you get your interview letter?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Mine took ages too.. you're from QE right?
    Took a week for my tutor to do my reference then a week for it to be actually sent off after that..
    But they seem to be getting through them now so you shouldnt have to wait long
    And, dont worry.. as long as you get it in before the deadline you'll still have a good chance - after all its the actual application that matters the most.
    Yeah I'm from QE
    Have you got an interview?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanity514)
    Yeah I'm from QE
    Have you got an interview?
    No, college only sent in my application on Thursday.. havent even got the welcome letter from UCAS yet!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsme2011)
    do you mind me asking when you sent off your application? Also did track update with an invitation or did you just get a letter from bham ?
    sent mine off on the 28th september ishh i think...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't send off my application until Monday. Will I be at a huge disadvantage?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused dot com)
    I can't send off my application until Monday. Will I be at a huge disadvantage?
    No.. I cant imagine it would be huge..
    Its known that it is slightly advantageous to send your application earlier for Birmingham.. but I guess it really is slight. The most important thing is your application.

As a general note.. stop worrying if you havent sent your application yet (just send it in before the 15th!!)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.. I cant imagine it would be huge..
    Its known that it is slightly advantageous to send your application earlier for Birmingham.. but I guess it really is slight. The most important thing is your application.

As a general note.. stop worrying if you havent sent your application yet (just send it in before the 15th!!)
    Actually I reckon it's actually an advantage to send it closer to the deadline; you get more time to prepare for the interview, especially if you're also taking and preparing for the BMAT. I pity those of you with interviews this month!
    You may be lower down on the interview list but if you're good enough to get an interview you'll get an interview.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marc_h94)
    Actually I reckon it's actually an advantage to send it closer to the deadline; you get more time to prepare for the interview, especially if you're also taking and preparing for the BMAT. I pity those of you with interviews this month!
    You may be lower down on the interview list but if you're good enough to get an interview you'll get an interview.
    Mmm.. but its getting the interviews!
    Birmingham have upped requirements mid-way through cycles in past years, so the people who sent in applications earlier would have only have faced the lower interview criteria.
    But yeah, interviews this month would scare me soo much, but I suppose its good to get it over with and really progress with your application

But, again people, dont stress if your application hasnt been sent off yet
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackshadow)
    Congrats! How many days after the acknowledgement did you get your interview letter?
    about 3 days after acknowledgement from birmingham, which itself was a few days after UCAS acknowledgement
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mmm.. but its getting the interviews!
    Birmingham have upped requirements mid-way through cycles in past years, so the people who sent in applications earlier would have only have faced the lower interview criteria.
    But yeah, interviews this month would scare me soo much, but I suppose its good to get it over with and really progress with your application

But, again people, dont stress if your application hasnt been sent off yet
    Erm... no they haven't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any other interviewees completely bricking it? I can say I am, I just end up tripping over my own words all the time, how am I going to survive in interview?!
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeoneYouDon'tKnow)
    I hope I get my email (and interview letter!) from Birmingham soon, I've been waiting anxiously all week but still haven't heard anything. I sent my form off last Mon, and got the UCAS letter on Thurs so if I'm lucky I might get the email tomorrow. How long did it take for other people to get theirs?
    Haha I feel the same way :P

+rep
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My-My-My)
    Erm... no they haven't.
    Didnt they up the GCSE cut-off from to 7 to 8 A*s mid-way through the cycle last year? :confused:

Meh, may just be a TSR rumour..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by instrumentalist)
    Any other interviewees completely bricking it? I can say I am, I just end up tripping over my own words all the time, how am I going to survive in interview?!
    ahh I stammer so much too when i'm nervous!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just a quick little update on the use of AS grades at Birmingham. I received this email from Austen Spruce, the admissions tutor:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry. The AS grades have become of more importance than GCSE results (for applicants who meet the 7 A* threshold). But, within an AS results band, GCSE results will be the "tie-breaker" as you put it. We do not know where the threshold will lie for each different academic aspect.

We read the personal statement to ensure there is sufficient and significant work experience and extra-curricular involvement.

Regards,

Austen Spruce
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just a quick little update on the use of AS grades at Birmingham. I received this email from Austen Spruce, the admissions tutor:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry. The AS grades have become of more importance than GCSE results (for applicants who meet the 7 A* threshold). But, within an AS results band, GCSE results will be the "tie-breaker" as you put it. We do not know where the threshold will lie for each different academic aspect.

We read the personal statement to ensure there is sufficient and significant work experience and extra-curricular involvement.

Regards,

Austen Spruce
    Does Dr Spruce do the admissions these days? Prof Lote used to...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friar Chris)
    Does Dr Spruce do the admissions these days? Prof Lote used to...
    Yeah I think Prof Lote got replaced by him from what I've seen said on TSR. Dr Spruce also gave the talk at the open day
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think Prof Lote got replaced by him from what I've seen said on TSR. Dr Spruce also gave the talk at the open day
    Guess Prof Lote is too busy trying to sell second years his textbook :teehee:.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friar Chris)
    Guess Prof Lote is too busy trying to sell second years his textbook :teehee:.
    haha
    are both of them nice ?
    what ages are they roughly?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 19, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.