The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by My-My-My
I love Birmingham, yes it has it's negatives but where doesn't? Some people just have a chip on their shoulder :rolleyes:

Ask me anything (and you won't get an essay)

erm...i was just wondering what birmingham looks for in a PS since they dont take UKCAT? (only managed 645 in it so was considering birmingham)

since I'm asking, i may as well carry on... what are the chances I'd get an interview with

7A* 6A at GCSE
A*AABB at A2 (A* in maths, A's in chem and human bio)
PS mostly about w/e + voluntary work and what i learnt about the role of a doctor and EC's like charitable stuff, doing an extended project, playing football, working during gap year as a customer assistant.

cheeeeeeeeers in advance!
Original post by nahim9393
erm...i was just wondering what birmingham looks for in a PS since they dont take UKCAT? (only managed 645 in it so was considering birmingham)

since I'm asking, i may as well carry on... what are the chances I'd get an interview with

7A* 6A at GCSE
PS mostly about w/e + voluntary work and what i learnt about the role of a doctor and EC's like charitable stuff, doing an extended project, playing football, working during gap year as a customer assistant.

Original post by spoinkytheduck
Just wondering if not taking EPQ would give any (even slight!) disadvantage here??

Why would it? I did mine on something horrifically dreary like 'Medicine in 19th Century Imperial British Military Campaigns'... Surely any extra work on your part looks good...

Unless you took it instead of a fourth A-level, which wouldn't be ideal.

Not sure I'd risk it with 7A*s... We.. they... the admissions tutors are rather harsh with GCSEs; they cut off everyone below a certain number of A*s that is usually around 7-9, and it's hard to tell where it'll fall each year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of applying to med school, but my predicted grades are A*AB (B in biology, A in chemistry)

For GCSEs I got 11A*s and 2As

Just wanted to know whether it was worth applying for Birmingham as I absolutely loved it there on the open day
Original post by Son1994
Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of applying to med school, but my predicted grades are A*AB (B in biology, A in chemistry)

Just wanted to know whether it was worth applying for Birmingham as I absolutely loved it there on the open day

I have no idea about this year, but for 2011 entry they said that in order to be invited to interview you had to:

1. Have more than 7A*s at GCSE
2. Be predicted AAA

And that didn't guarantee an interview.

I think that with your A*AB prediction they could easily reject as they are looking at AAA/A*AA this year.

However, if you really want to do go there then go for it.
Original post by Son1994

You're in a great position with the GCSEs; with those you should be well above the cut-off, and then it's down to your A-level predictions, reference, personal statement, work experience et cetera. So long as you 'wow' them in the traditional way - show them you're brainy in your application and show them you are well rounded and cultured in the interview - then you have a very strong application, no worrying about UKCAT/BMAT or the GCSEs.

Go for it.
Reply 125
Original post by Friar Chris
You're in a great position with the GCSEs; with those you should be well above the cut-off, and then it's down to your A-level predictions, reference, personal statement, work experience et cetera. So long as you 'wow' them in the traditional way - show them you're brainy in your application and show them you are well rounded and cultured in the interview - then you have a very strong application, no worrying about UKCAT/BMAT or the GCSEs.

Go for it.

Thank you so much, I think I'm definitely going to put it down as a choice. My predicted grades aren't that great due to the B in biology, however I'm prepared to work this year and hopefully get my As and reapply next year. I'm so determined to get into med school coz I really can't see myself doing anything else!
Original post by Son1994
Thank you so much, I think I'm definitely going to put it down as a choice. My predicted grades aren't that great due to the B in biology, however I'm prepared to work this year and hopefully get my As and reapply next year. I'm so determined to get into med school coz I really can't see myself doing anything else!

I suggest you go basically demand that your teacher gives you a predicted A in biology, and make it known just how much you need it. And then go get that A or A*. If you can't see yourself doing anything else, then you'll probably be successful!
Reply 127
I suggest you go basically demand that your teacher gives you a predicted A in biology, and make it known just how much you need it. And then go get that A or A*. If you can't see yourself doing anything else, then you'll probably be successful!

Do they count short courses as 1/2 GCSEs or as a whole... cause I have 12 A*s but 3 are short making it 10.5A*... I'm sure it's the latter they count right?
So with those gcses, AAAAA at AS (though got a B in a maths, chem, history module :/) - will resit the chem module... dropped history... and maths + bio were v. close to the A grades so won't resit them. My predictions are A*A*AA

Do I have a good shot?
Original post by Cleoleo
Do they count short courses as 1/2 GCSEs or as a whole... cause I have 12 A*s but 3 are short making it 10.5A*... I'm sure it's the latter they count right?
So with those gcses, AAAAA at AS (though got a B in a maths, chem, history module :/) - will resit the chem module... dropped history... and maths + bio were v. close to the A grades so won't resit them. My predictions are A*A*AA

Do I have a good shot?

Your A-levels look fine; it's hard to tell about the 1/2 GCSEs... I take it that you would have 9 A*s even if they discarded the halves entirely though, so you should be fine. If still in doubt, email/phone them and ask how grades in 1/2 GCSEs are used in calculations.
Reply 129
Your A-levels look fine; it's hard to tell about the 1/2 GCSEs... I take it that you would have 9 A*s even if they discarded the halves entirely though, so you should be fine. If still in doubt, email/phone them and ask how grades in 1/2 GCSEs are used in calculations.

Whaaat :0 they don't count short course subjects? :/
Original post by Cleoleo
Whaaat :0 they don't count short course subjects? :/

No I'm sure they count for something, but even if they didn't you'd still have a reasonably safe total :smile:, and you'd have to ask them specifically how they treat half GCSEs.
I'm applying too. Slightly disadvantaged because I have neither the A* in English Language or the AAAA at AS that they like (I got AAAB), but I'm hoping they'll take a risk on me and give me an A*AA offer (as they've said they'll do to 50/50 candidates).
Reply 132
Original post by Straight up G
I'm applying too. Slightly disadvantaged because I have neither the A* in English Language or the AAAA at AS that they like (I got AAAB), but I'm hoping they'll take a risk on me and give me an A*AA offer (as they've said they'll do to 50/50 candidates).

Who would they give the A*AA offer to? To those who have A* predictions? also, how do you know its 50% of candidates?
Original post by Cleoleo
Who would they give the A*AA offer to? To those who have A* predictions? also, how do you know its 50% of candidates?

To those applicants that are on the borderline/have one weak area in their application. So maybe those with two As at GCSE in English and Maths, or those with AAAB at AS level, or those with an average PS... That's what I meant by 50/50...
Reply 134
Original post by Straight up G
To those applicants that are on the borderline/have one weak area in their application. So maybe those with two As at GCSE in English and Maths, or those with AAAB at AS level, or those with an average PS... That's what I meant by 50/50...

Hmmm but if they're not predicted any A*s? It seems unrealistic of them to give the A* predictions...over those who have A*A*A*A* predictions for example.

Hmm but I can understand why a hazy interview may give rise to an A*AA offer.
Reply 135
How much do Birmingham like ECs? How much am I supposed to be doing lol? :erm:
Reply 136
Original post by nahim9393

7A* 6A at GCSE

They look for exactly the same things as every other med school! What you've listed sounds fine.

They say the cut off is 7A*s but if that is the actual cut off I can't say, sorry.
Reply 137
Original post by oHellno
How much do Birmingham like ECs? How much am I supposed to be doing lol? :erm:

(sorry, that is Quinn from glee in your sig right ? :tongue:)
and as far as ECs go, I know I hardly have any... no sports and no music :tongue:
Original post by Cleoleo
and as far as ECs go, I know I hardly have any... no sports and no music :tongue:

Original post by My-My-My
They look for exactly the same things as every other med school! What you've listed sounds fine.

They say the cut off is 7A*s but if that is the actual cut off I can't say, sorry.

As much as any medical school does; they want you to show that you're a well-rounded and cultured individual as well as just academically talented and empathetic. The vast majority of a Birmingham interview is about your EC; they want to judge you as a person - are you honest, hard-working, interesting, of respectable character; and will you be an asset to the medical school and university on the whole in ways other than simply getting good grades.
Reply 139
Original post by Cleoleo

Haha yeah it is.
My lack of music and sport is what's worrying me, that and I didn't realise how bloody expensive it is lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending