The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Received an offer pack today, could any current students tell me which halls are the best?

Thanks
Reply 1721
Mine took 4 days after interview!!
Original post by InkyOne
I was also on the reserve list (but have since withdrawn) I emailed the admissions tutor and she said that I would hear any time until the end of March, the gist was after they had finished interviewing they would let me know, if that helps :smile:

Thank you! I'll wait until the end of March then :smile:
Original post by My-My-My
InkyOne is right. People are put on a reserve list when the admissions team are unsure whether to make them an offer. They then continue with interviews and at the end, see how much space they have left. They will then make offers to those at the top of the reserve list (the number depending on how many offers they have made already) and those at the bottom of the reserve list will be unsuccessful.

Thank you very much for the useful information! :smile:
Original post by os93
Received an offer pack today, could any current students tell me which halls are the best?

Thanks

Tennis Courts! It's just off from the Vale so you can use the bar, shop, restaurant, but it's that bit closer to the medical school. I think it's still a bit cheaper than Mason and a few others and I lived there, which automatically means it's the best!
Interview next Friday, just wondered is there likely to be much on medical ethics and current medical issues in the news? Also anyone know when the last interview date is?
Congrats to all who got offers!! :smile:
Just submitted my application to do an intercalated degree in Psychological Medicine. Wish me luck!
Just submitted my application to do an intercalated degree in Psychological Medicine. Wish me luck!

all the best!! :smile:
Which uni?
Original post by areyouthere?
all the best!! :smile:
Which uni?

Still Birmingham. I have looked at Leeds (it would mean I could live at home for a year and commute) but I've got great friends here, I've already arranged a house for next year and the courses are second to none. Also I know the course lead for Psych Med is one of my favourite lecturer's from first and second year!
!

Good luck!

If you've got time, would you explain how it works please, and what sort of options are available ?

I know nothing about intercalation - I didn't know that it would be an option to go to another uni, for example, and I have no idea what sort of subjects are available to choose from...

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by *Bern1994*
Good luck!

If you've got time, would you explain how it works please, and what sort of options are available ?

I know nothing about intercalation - I didn't know that it would be an option to go to another uni, for example, and I have no idea what sort of subjects are available to choose from...

Thanks.

Hi, I think on the previous page of this thread I've posted a link to all the courses that are offered here at Birmingham.

There are 3 mains types:
Biological sciences - done after second year, mainly lab based work. You need an overall mark of 65% to be accepted onto one of these.

Population sciences - these can be done after 2nd, 3rd or 4th (though this may be changing to just 3rd and 4th) and include psychological medicine, history, public health, law and ethics. You need 60% and to complete an application form with four 200word questions to be accepted.

Clinical sciences - Can only be done after a clinical year. Not entirely sure what it involves but I think it is mainly lab work and clinical research based. This course is the most competitive and hardest to get onto.

All three are research based and you write your dissertation at the end based on the research you have conducted throughout the year. The best reasons to intercalate are interest in research and interest in the subject, though many see it as a way to make you look good when applying for jobs (eg. if you want to work in London).

Of course you can apply to other institutions, London universities are very popular and I have a couple of friends who are currently studying for a year at KCL.

Hope that answers your question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, I think on the previous page of this thread I've posted a link to all the courses that are offered here at Birmingham.

/QUOTE]

Thank you very much - very interesting.

Good luck again with your degree.
Original post by coco739
should i tell birmingham my a2 module results from january? they were pretty good 100% in both the modules i took , maths and physics. ive had an interview already do you think i should tell them or will it not influence their decision?

You will have something called a unique learner number. Using this, Birmingham will be able to see all of your exam results including those from January. If they want to know what they are, they'll be able to find out!

There are 3 mains types:
Biological sciences - done after second year, mainly lab based work. You need an overall mark of 65% to be accepted onto one of these.

Population sciences - these can be done after 2nd, 3rd or 4th (though this may be changing to just 3rd and 4th) and include psychological medicine, history, public health, law and ethics. You need 60% and to complete an application form with four 200word questions to be accepted.

Clinical sciences - Can only be done after a clinical year. Not entirely sure what it involves but I think it is mainly lab work and clinical research based. This course is the most competitive and hardest to get onto.

All three are research based and you write your dissertation at the end based on the research you have conducted throughout the year. The best reasons to intercalate are interest in research and interest in the subject, though many see it as a way to make you look good when applying for jobs (eg. if you want to work in London).

Of course you can apply to other institutions, London universities are very popular and I have a couple of friends who are currently studying for a year at KCL.

Hope that answers your question.

Has the biological sciences threshold gone up to 65%?!?!?!

Thank god they don't consider first year results!
Original post by gozatron
Has the biological sciences threshold gone up to 65%?!?!?!

Thank god they don't consider first year results!

It has always been 65% I think. There aren't any questions or interviews like the other courses so it is based only on academic mark. This means that if fewer people apply then there are places they will probably consider those with less than 65% but this is never the case as it is so popular with second years.
Reply 1736
Hey, just trying to sort through the paperwork that came in the offer pack and really confused. On the declaration to comply with the code of conduct form it states that the form should be sent back in the envelope provided, but the only envelope I received states that only the declaration of health form and immunisation form should be enclosed (its brown). Does anyone know where the code of conduct form should go?
Offer :biggrin:
Had my interview today, and there was only two on the panel which I wasnt expecting. Also Dr Spruce really does hate the European working time directive doesn't he!! Haha.
Original post by WannabeDoctor
Had my interview today, and there was only two on the panel which I wasnt expecting. Also Dr Spruce really does hate the European working time directive doesn't he!! Haha.

There are a lot of negatives. It is a good idea in terms of patient safety as it means there will be less human error due to fatigue, but it greatly reduces continuity for patients and it offers fewer teaching experiences for junior doctors. It also means we can't be paid as much! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest