The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

You guys must be very smart who are going to apply there. But then again you generally have to be smart for medicine anyway.:smile: good luck
Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone can help me.... Is anyone here with an offer currently doing an MSc or does anyone know anyone that is? If so was the MSc part of your conditional offer? Thanks xxx
Original post by 3rd time lucky?
Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone can help me.... Is anyone here with an offer currently doing an MSc or does anyone know anyone that is? If so was the MSc part of your conditional offer? Thanks xxx

Do you have an offer for the graduate course?
If so join the group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/126502140795574/ and maybe you can ask your question there :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
No i have an offer for undergraduate course. I didnt dare apply for the graduate course. Is that facebook group for all graduates or just those on the 4yr course?
No i have an offer for undergraduate course. I didnt dare apply for the graduate course. Is that facebook group for all graduates or just those on the 4yr course?

Oh i seee, I think its for people on the 4 year course but there must be a group for the 5 year course somewhere? :smile:
I don't think one exists because someone on this forum said that we are waiting for the second year exams to finish. What qualifications did you have to send, if you dont mind me asking?
I don't think one exists because someone on this forum said that we are waiting for the second year exams to finish. What qualifications did you have to send, if you dont mind me asking?

Have to send? Not sent any qualifications yet..but I have to send my a level and degree certificates as part of my conditional offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by groovyangel2008
Have to send? Not sent any qualifications yet..but I have to send my a level and degree certificates as part of my conditional offer.

Thanks. They didn't specifically tell me which qualifications they wanted they just said 'qualification(s)' so I'am a little confused.

Like the new sig :smile:
Just had my last third year exam!!

I had my OSCE last week (practical exam) and then this week we've had two written exams on Medicine and Surgery and Clinical Sciences (pathology, infection, microbiology etc).

Finished for Easter now, so heading home this after noon for the weekend and then off to France for a couple of days to visit my bf :smile:

Back here on the 15th to start three weeks of project work - part of the student selected component, I'm doing "Social theory and health".

And then 7 weeks of holiday (and my 21st birthday) before 4th year starts. Only two years til I become a doctor - NHS you'd better watch out!!
Original post by My-My-My
Like the new sig :smile:

Thanks, im so excited to start!!!! Can't wait to be a fresher AGAIN :biggrin: (I sound so eager, im sure it won't be like that when I have so much work to do).
Hope third year is treating you well?
Original post by coco739
has anyone started their vaccination course? im a little confused how it works and so is my gp practice

What are you confused about? I just have my third and last hepatitis B jab to do now and then that will be all my vaccination completed (but I started it early as I am working as a health are assistant and it was mandatory to have the jab as part of my job).
Original post by coco739
i did the blood test. and have the printed results but now my gp practice - the receptionists were telling me they have never heard of doing these sorts of vaccinations without gp consent. so i have to go private and pay £210 for the hep B vaccinations. do they really cost that much?

I had this issue with the receptionist, I just went back to my gp and they phoned through to reception permitting me to have the vaccinations for free. Dont pay, as a (pre) medical student you should get them on the NHS.

I have booked my hep B injections but wont have finished the course before sending back the form, does anyone know if I'm meant to just send it back incomplete?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by coco739
i did the blood test. and have the printed results but now my gp practice - the receptionists were telling me they have never heard of doing these sorts of vaccinations without gp consent. so i have to go private and pay £210 for the hep B vaccinations. do they really cost that much?

I said i was going an holiday to china.

Free Hep B jabs!

Anyways, i wouldn't worry about not getting jabs too much, occy health here look over your notes and give you any jabs you're missing.
Original post by coco739

Yeah please don't pay for it. Have you shown your GP your offer letter from Birmingham? If they still refuse to give you the jabs for free, I would phone admissions at the Uni of Birmingham and see what they advise but if worst comes to worst, I've heard that Birmingham occupational health sort you out when you start. Apparently we all get appointments when we start with the occupational health department. BUT please don't pay, imagine if someone paid about £210 for their jabs but then missed their offer conditions for medicine through their grades, what a waste of money that would be!? I think that the Uni of Birmingham (and other unis for that matter) should let their students know in their offer package and in bold letters, CAPITALS (whatever it takes:rolleyes:) that they shouldn't be paying for any of their jabs as it wouldn't surprise me if people did pay for them!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1815
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I had this issue with the receptionist, I just went back to my gp and they phoned through to reception permitting me to have the vaccinations for free. Dont pay, as a (pre) medical student you should get them on the NHS.

I have booked my hep B injections but wont have finished the course before sending back the form, does anyone know if I'm meant to just send it back incomplete?

I've had my first and second course of vaccines done, but my 3rd one won't be until august. It says on the form that you must return the form back whether its incomplete or not before the 1st of June.
If you're in a situation like I am where nothings going to happen vaccine wise until June, I say just send it off :smile:
Yeah please don't pay for it. Have you shown your GP your offer letter from Birmingham? If they still refuse to give you the jabs for free, I would phone admissions at the Uni of Birmingham and see what they advise but if worst comes to worst, I've heard that Birmingham occupational health sort you out when you start. Apparently we all get appointments when we start with the occupational health department. BUT please don't pay, imagine if someone paid about £210 for their jabs but then missed their offer conditions for medicine through their grades, what a waste of money that would be!? I think that the Uni of Birmingham (and other unis for that matter) should let their students know in their offer package and in bold letters, CAPITALS (whatever it takes:rolleyes:) that they shouldn't be paying for any of their jabs as it wouldn't surprise me if people did pay for them!

It's totally down the the GP whether they pay for the jabs or not and they are perfectly within their right to ask you to pay for them if you want them. However as you said the Uni sorted us all out with occy health appointments this year and people were given their jabs free of charge :smile:.
Reply 1817
Heyyy I have received an offer from B'hamm and Cardiff but I don't know where to choose -_- I live in Cardiff so I want to move away but I like the course at both, just wondering if anyone can help me make my decision :smile: much appreciated !
Reply 1818
mew mew
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Crab13
Heyyy I have received an offer from B'hamm and Cardiff but I don't know where to choose -_- I live in Cardiff so I want to move away but I like the course at both, just wondering if anyone can help me make my decision :smile: much appreciated !

Well, you're probably posting in the wrong thread as most of the people on here now have firmed Birmingham and as you can see we're starting to talk about freshers etc so you'll get a very biased opinion. I'm a third year here and all I can say is that you won't regret choosing Bham. You'll have an amazing time anywhere and come out at the end a qualified doctor. I also had an offer from Cardiff and I though it too seemed very impressive so I can understand you problem.

I think if moving away from home is a big deal then Birmingham would be good, there is a direct train to Cardiff Central from the university! There are a lot of people here who live just round the corner but are still very independent from their families, so Cardiff could also work for you.

Whatever you chose, you'll be fine. Just pick the one that feels most right.
If you do choose Bham however, feel free to come and chat to us all about accommodation, vaccinations, textbooks... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest