Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

E-Induction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Conor 419

Ok, here's an update for the pre-registration process.

Am I right in saying that out of the 9 pre-arrival steps in the introduction booklet, we can only have completed 1, 5 and 8 so far? With 4 & 6 not being necessary for UK undergraduates and 2, 3, 7 & 9 not being available yet?

1| Applying to SFE (I think we've all done this by now ;D)
2| Confirming personal information (No e-mail yet)
3| Uploading passport photo (No e-mail yet)
4| Read admissions requirements (Not for UK undergrads)
5| Read Module Info (Found Here)
6| Complete Financial Declaration (Not for UK undergrads)
7| Pay your fees (Not possible except for those who aren't using SFE)
8| Online medical questionnaire (Found Here)
9| Obtain a university e-mail account. (No sign up e-mail as of yet)

Idid step 6 even though i am UK undergread, i just followed a link in the email and it took me there so i did it... im so confused right now. I dont understand what im meant to be doing or have done! :s-smilie:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 81
Well on this page it says.

"Complete your Financial Declaration - If you are a Home/EU Undergraduate who has applied to Student Finance England for a Tuition Fee Loan you do not need to complete the Financial Declaration"

So I guess it's just optional.
Reply 82
I wish the university had some sort of Twitter account where they'd push out status updates... stuff like "We're fixing the ucard upload; ETA 10-Sep-11"

Remember this? Airlines and the Heathrow Airport team provided the community with an amazing stream of live updates via Twitter, which really helped bring some order into the chaos.

What does the uni do? It craps out stuff like Get involved in cultural matchmaking at our Ideas Bazaar event on 21 September and win funding for your idea http://goo.gl/9rTGL :frown:
Reply 83
I am disappointed too with what they are (not) doing... I thought they were organised and knew what they should do as they've done it countless times before. They had so much time to prepare and take the appropriate actions but they decided to leave everything for the last moment only to add to our anxiety :frown:
Original post by mac32
I am disappointed too with what they are (not) doing... I thought they were organised and knew what they should do as they've done it countless times before. They had so much time to prepare and take the appropriate actions but they decided to leave everything for the last moment only to add to our anxiety :frown:

meh it doesnt bother me. maybe im just super relaxed :absinth:
Original post by mac32
Thanks avila :smile:

Although my transcripts are not from an organisation like those you mention, they are stamped with the official stamp civil servants use and I have made certified copies from the originals again stamped with the official thing proving that they are not tampered with.

I don't care if they contact whomever they want, I'm just afraid that they won't get an answer from the people in my school who don't even bother to pick up the phone. That's why I wanted to know if they verify them independently as mine would take ages and could potentially put my registration "on hold" for a long period of time.

This is how it happened for me last year: took my qualifications to the Elmfield building for verification. (Having read more about it now I think I should have taken them to the Admissions Office instead.) They didn't want them, said I should bring them with me to registration. So I did. When it was my turn to register I was directed to a table where someone asked to see my passport and qualifications (originals, certified copies, TOEFL score sheet... the list is in the registration guide so just make sure you have everything) and the lady just took one glance at them, took them to a machine in the back (to be copied or scanned or something I guess, I didn't really see) and typed something into a computer and that was that. It took like 5 minutes and then I went on to complete the registration. They're certainly not going to call anyone or anything like that.

Am I right in saying that out of the 9 pre-arrival steps in the introduction booklet, we can only have completed 1, 5 and 8 so far? With 4 & 6 not being necessary for UK undergraduates and 2, 3, 7 & 9 not being available yet?

Number 4 is most definitely for everyone, it details what you have to/don't have to bring to registration and what needs and doesn't need to be verified.

Original post by mac32

I totally agree. They had a perfectly working system last year and it seems now they're trying to make it faster and smoother by going partly digital and the result (as of now) is the complete opposite. Why fix something that isn't broken? It's not like these little tweaks allow us to avoid standing in lines for hours anyway (by the way, bring a snack to your registration event because you'll be standing in those lines for a long time). And if they really really do want to install all those portals and whatnot then they should do test runs and fix the bugs and all that way before they're supposed to go live.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
http://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/auth.do

Looks promising. No luck getting in though.

Also seems like you can make the pages do different stuff:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/newLogon.do?FG=Y = Financial declaration
http://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/newLogon.do?PP=Y = Tuition fees

Anyone feel like guessing letters? :s

Ignore this post. This is what happens if you get too curious. :frown:
*hides*

https://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/newLogon.do (not the lack of anything after the ".do") -- this URL seems to be the central component that allows you to do registration, photo upload, etc. though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by avila
http://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/auth.do

Looks promising. No luck getting in though.

Also seems like you can make the pages do different stuff:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/newLogon.do?FG=Y = Financial declaration
http://www.shef.ac.uk/olreg5/newLogon.do?PP=Y = Tuition fees

Anyone feel like guessing letters? :s

Even if we found the letters, wouldn't we need a username to log in? :s-smilie:

btw, avila I admire your patience with their computer systems... You must have dig out every single webpage in their servers :tongue:
Reply 88
Original post by mac32
Even if we found the letters, wouldn't we need a username to log in? :s-smilie:

btw, avila I admire your patience with their computer systems... You must have dig out every single webpage in their servers :tongue:

You have everything you need.

Applicant number is in your tuition fee receipt e-mail.

Personal Id number is your UCAS number.

Choice is the place Sheffield appears in the list of unis on your application

Date of Birth is... well, you know.

All I do is google for stuff, it's nothing special. :s-smilie:

Edit: As for "auth.do", perhaps the login details used for the module selection work there?

I really wish they'd hurry up and fix their stuff, so none of this guessing around would be necessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
The scary error I got went away.

Now it just says

"•Your registration is not yet ready to register "

Looks like they're working on it at this very minute. :tongue:
Reply 90
Original post by avila

Edit: As for "auth.do", perhaps the login details used for the module selection work there?

I really wish they'd hurry up and fix their stuff, so none of this guessing around would be necessary.

Most applicants don't have the applicant number as they get tuition fee loans. Unless they can find the number in another way.

Also this page requires a username and password, that is what I was referring to.

Anyway, I believe it is a matter of hours before they fix it and start emailing us. I got today an email about the qualifications verification that assigned me to a group and had instructions about how to do it. What bothers me is that until I verify them, I won't have internet access and I'll have to rely to my mobile for at least my first 2 days there, when I will be needing it the most to find information about a city I've never been before etc... Meh
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by avila

Wait a minute....... What tuition fee receipt email? :eek::eek::eek:
Reply 92
Original post by Vulpes
Wait a minute....... What tuition fee receipt email? :eek::eek::eek:

You only get one if you aren't funding your degree using a tuition fee loan, I think. Don't worry.
Reply 93
Original post by avila
You only get one if you aren't funding your degree using a tuition fee loan, I think. Don't worry.

Im not funding my degree using a loan. :eek::eek::eek:
Reply 94
Original post by Vulpes
Im not funding my degree using a loan. :eek::eek::eek:

Did you set up a payment plan?

You should have received an e-mail afterwards called "University of Sheffield Online Payment Plan" which will say stuff like

Thank you for setting up your payment details:

Your Applicant number is XXXXXXXXXX

You have requested the set-up of Tuition Fee payments to be deducted from your Credit/Debit Card as follows:

Date and Amount of payment(s)
1 Oct 2011 GBP 1,687.50
1 Feb 2012 GBP 1,687.50

Reply 95
Original post by avila
Did you set up a payment plan?

You should have received an e-mail afterwards called "University of Sheffield Online Payment Plan" which will say stuff like

Thank you for setting up your payment details:

Your Applicant number is XXXXXXXXXX

You have requested the set-up of Tuition Fee payments to be deducted from your Credit/Debit Card as follows:

Date and Amount of payment(s)
1 Oct 2011 GBP 1,687.50
1 Feb 2012 GBP 1,687.50

Through the registration thing, I set it up as "Unable to pay at the moment" for 4 installments.

Still waiting for my freshers pack. Pretty worried now :s-smilie:
Reply 96
Original post by Vulpes
Through the registration thing, I set it up as "Unable to pay at the moment" for 4 installments.

Still waiting for my freshers pack. Pretty worried now :s-smilie:

If it's any consolation, the welcome letter I got from the School of East Asian Studies was dated 31 August and arrived 7 September, so it may simply be the post being slow.
Reply 97
For those who haven't noticed, they put a FAQ PDF file up a little while ago. It's dated 9-Sep-11 17:42 by a certain "ad1xrem".
Now he'll find this post when he googles his username. n_n

https://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.91761!/file/FAQs-for-students.pdf

Every other answer is "call or e-mail us" :rolleyes:

Latest news I've gotten is that the Admissions Office doesn't want to see students before they open their drop-in verifications service next to the sports centre, and my crystal ball tells me there'll be no Ucard upload (or anything) for those pending verification of qualifications.

I really should've taken the two security flaws I found in the module directory and their screw-up with the June Open Day mailing list as warning signs of the massive amount of fail that was to come.
Reply 98
Original post by avila
For those who haven't noticed, they put a FAQ PDF file up a little while ago. It's dated 9-Sep-11 17:42 by a certain "ad1xrem".
Now he'll find this post when he googles his username. n_n

https://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.91761!/file/FAQs-for-students.pdf

Every other answer is "call or e-mail us" :rolleyes:

Latest news I've gotten is that the Admissions Office doesn't want to see students before they open their drop-in verifications service next to the sports centre, and my crystal ball tells me there'll be no Ucard upload (or anything) for those pending verification of qualifications.

I really should've taken the two security flaws I found in the module directory and their screw-up with the June Open Day mailing list as warning signs of the massive amount of fail that was to come.

Lol you got the mailing list fail too? :tongue: Thought it was only for the med students. Didn't realise the other departments made the same mistake.
Reply 99
Original post by Vulpes
Lol you got the mailing list fail too? :tongue: Thought it was only for the med students. Didn't realise the other departments made the same mistake.

It was one big mailing list for all departments if I recall correctly. I was the person who CC'ed [email protected] and told everyone to stop sending replies to the list. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending