The Student Room Group

Sounds like a stupid question, but why don't peole take LSD?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Retrodiction
Oh, so you're saying that it had a physiological effect that wasn't reversible? Who was this famous singer, anyway?

Where did I say it wasn't reversible?

All I said was that after using it too much it put him into a terrible place and state of mind, and took him a long time to recover from this.

You're at your most vulnerable taking drugs when you're depressed, I know friends that were depressed and smoked weed and it worsened their mental health x10.

I don't know his name, look it up. Some guy from a famous band or he was a guitarist or something. I remember my Dad told me about him, and watched abit of a programme about him.
Reply 141
Original post by Conor C
On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

i have a mate who recently told me that after taking either LSD or Ecstasy, i can't remember which, couldn't sleep for 4 days! haha
Reply 142
Original post by TurboCretin

Clearly a bunch of drug addicts on this thread.
Sorry that I don't chose to take drugs guys. I think its stupid and I value my life. Sorry if that offends you!

I am not going to bother to respond to each one individually because I CBA with an arguement. Its well known scientific fact that drugs harm your health. They also alter the way in which your brain functions.

So yes, go ahead and harp on about your conspiracy theories about propaganda, and why the government tries to control us. LOL. All those drugs you've been taking have made you mighty paranoid.
Original post by Amy2201
Clearly a bunch of drug addicts on this thread.
Sorry that I don't chose to take drugs guys. I think its stupid and I value my life. Sorry if that offends you!

I am not going to bother to respond to each one individually because I CBA with an arguement. Its well known scientific fact that drugs harm your health. They also alter the way in which your brain functions.

So yes, go ahead and harp on about your conspiracy theories about propaganda, and why the government tries to control us. LOL. All those drugs you've been taking have made you mighty paranoid.

Some drugs have simply been needlessly stigmatised. Nice ad hominem there though.

P.S. If you drink, you're a hypocrite. Have a nice day.
Original post by lharlowl
Anyone hear the story about a welsh guy who bet his mate he'd cut off his balls if wales won the rugby? Wales won and he promptly went home and cut off his own testicles with a pair of pliers. Saw it on news of the week or somewhere similar, good laugh at an idiot. The guy was very drunk but nobody blamed the alcohol for his actions?

Unless you've tried a certain drug then you cannot possibly hope to comment on it. People who drink yet say they don't touch drugs are just hypocrites. Most people dont understand the fact that our 'nanny state' doesn't want us to buy drugs (i won't go into the reasons for why) and so spreads horror stories to put people off. If all you ever heard about alcohol was stories like the one above i'm quite sure you would be put off that aswell, except for the fact that youve tried it and know it doesn't affect you or most other people in that way at all.

"Our nanny state"?? In which country is LSD not illegal?

Plus alcohol is not illegal because it's way, way too ingrained into society and culture. It's been with us for thousands of years; the same can't be said of LSD. It would be nearly impossible to impose a ban on alcohol; no-one would accept it. The reason for making other psychoactive drugs illegal is so the same thing doesn't happen with them. Can you imagine what life would be like if everyone went around taking LSD??

If you're one of the minority who do, fair enough, I'm not judging you. As long as you're educated enough to use them responsibly, then there's no harm done. Unfortunately, many people are not as educated..and so chaos would ensue if they were legal.
Original post by rj1990
Where did I say it wasn't reversible?

All I said was that after using it too much it put him into a terrible place and state of mind, and took him a long time to recover from this.

You're at your most vulnerable taking drugs when you're depressed, I know friends that were depressed and smoked weed and it worsened their mental health x10.

I don't know his name, look it up. Some guy from a famous band or he was a guitarist or something. I remember my Dad told me about him, and watched abit of a programme about him.

I believe you may be talking about Peter Green, the guitarist from Fleetwood Mac. He developed schizophrenia in the 70's, after many years of prolonged drug use and a history of mental illness. He didnt just take LSD once and *BAM* went psycho, he was already suffering various mental illnesses and a ridiculous amount of any drug doesnt mix too well with that situation.

Also, a professional musician is going to have an infinitely greater exposure to ludicrous amounts of free drugs and the opportunities to take them than an average person normally would have, so its a bit of a moot point.
Reply 146
Original post by murcielago998
"Our nanny state"?? In which country is LSD not illegal?

Plus alcohol is not illegal because it's way, way too ingrained into society and culture. It's been with us for thousands of years; the same can't be said of LSD. It would be nearly impossible to impose a ban on alcohol; no-one would accept it. The reason for making other psychoactive drugs illegal is so the same thing doesn't happen with them. Can you imagine what life would be like if everyone went around taking LSD??

If you're one of the minority who do, fair enough, I'm not judging you. As long as you're educated enough to use them responsibly, then there's no harm done. Unfortunately, many people are not as educated..and so chaos would ensue if they were legal.

I'm not saying we live in the only nanny state in the world...

No i dont take lsd, but i do occassionally take other drugs, and have never once had a crazy life threatening experience nor has anyone i know. I live a normal life, have ambition, get good grades and read alot. I do however have first hand experience of the 'drugs are baaad mmkay' talks in school consisting almost entirely of exageration and sometimes downright falsification.

I respect peoples decision not to take drugs thats fine, but i do find it irritating to be preached to by people who couldn't possibly have even the slightest inclination as to what effect the taking of drugs could have on my life or health.

And i am fully aware of the problems prohibition of alcohol would (and did) cause. But i believe people need an outlet and that there are actually safer drugs to take than alcohol if you cut out all the myths and anomalies.
(edited 12 years ago)
What actually causes someone to try any sort of drug in the first place? Never understood the appeal myself..
I've always thought anyone who needed them to be happy must lead a pretty sad life.
Original post by Conor C
On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

It might be physically less harmful than alcohol, tobacco, cannabis or other drugs, but the danger is what people do when they are on the high. There are some real horror stories of people getting themselves really badly injured or killed whilst tripping. Personally, thats why I haven't and probrably wouldn't ever do it.
Reply 149
I'm scared it would **** me up to be completely honest. And the very best outcome from taking it doesn't seem to outweigh the many bad outcomes from it.
Reply 150
I really do pity you morons who claim "its not addictive so you should try it"...and...."its really harmless. Alcohol is worse". You guys have really no idea what you are talking about. Fools.
I'm not interested in voluntarily causing myself to hallucinate.
Original post by ifstatement
I want to use an LSD simulator, now that would be cool.

surely all hallucinogenic drugs are simulators? So why don't you just take LSD?
Original post by disposablesteve
no, it does not :rolleyes:

thats what my dealer told me :colondollar:

said thats why he doesnt do it if someone does something stupid like take to much coke he doesnt see that as his fault but he does see it as hi murdering them for that reason if he gives them lsd
Reply 154
LSD is fun for 6-8 hours, then you feel like a twisted piece of **** for a day or two. Not really worth doing on the regular.
Original post by kopite493
thats what my dealer told me :colondollar:

said thats why he doesnt do it if someone does something stupid like take to much coke he doesnt see that as his fault but he does see it as hi murdering them for that reason if he gives them lsd

Normally its stimulants that dehydrate you, and you have to make sure you drink the right amount of water, not too much, not too little.

I can only speak from my own experience and that of my friends, but I've never been or known anyone to have been granted the gift of Unquenchable Thirst by the acid gods... while tripping on LSD most people won't want to ingest anything wether they are capable to or not. I once spent about half an hour eating a single crisp and a further half hour playing with a pint of milk, because the tastes and textures were mindblowingly strange at that point in time (poking the surface of the milk was particularly fun). Food and drink become toys.... well, everything becomes a toy when you're tripping, thats why its so much fun.

Not that I'm advocating it at all, I'm not, just wanted to contribute to the thread with my experience as theres way too many people in here with ridiculous opinions based on what they've heard not what they've done.
Reply 156
Original post by Kibalchich
Not a very good line of argument tbh. Heroin was originally touted as a less addictive substitute for morphine, for example.

That i did not know :tongue:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
To be honest, I've sometimes thought about trying drugs to try and get over my occasional bouts of depression. Main problem is, I wouldn't know where to get them from.

Anyways, it's probably best not to get involved with that illegal **** :colondollar:

I am not one of those people who say "All drugs are awful and will mess you up" but please DO NOT do drugs if you have "bouts of depression". Especially LSD
Original post by x0Harriet
LSD-
Possession: seven years in jail.
Supplying: life sentence and an unlimited fine.

Cannabis-
Possession: five years in jail.
Supplying: fourteen years and an unlimited fine.

Bit of a difference.

:rofl: On paper maby. In reality: Never
Original post by disposablesteve
Normally its stimulants that dehydrate you, and you have to make sure you drink the right amount of water, not too much, not too little.

I can only speak from my own experience and that of my friends, but I've never been or known anyone to have been granted the gift of Unquenchable Thirst by the acid gods... while tripping on LSD most people won't want to ingest anything wether they are capable to or not. I once spent about half an hour eating a single crisp and a further half hour playing with a pint of milk, because the tastes and textures were mindblowingly strange at that point in time (poking the surface of the milk was particularly fun). Food and drink become toys.... well, everything becomes a toy when you're tripping, thats why its so much fun.

Not that I'm advocating it at all, I'm not, just wanted to contribute to the thread with my experience as theres way too many people in here with ridiculous opinions based on what they've heard not what they've done.

fair enough im moving cities for university next month i shall make sure to find a dealer who sells it so i can give it a try after all i cant forge an opinion on the matter without having tried it first
(granted this will not be for 2/3 months in so that im settled first but still)5 years

to the person who wrote possesion its only 5 years if your caught with it 3 times

first time- warning
second time - fine
third time 5 years
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest