The Student Room Group

Pro-Palestinian student convicted for rubbing pubes over Israeli flag

A student at St Andrews University has been found guilty of a racist breach of the peace after he insulted the flag of Israel.

Paul Donnachie, 19, put his hands down his trousers then rubbed them on a flag belonging to Jewish student Chanan Reitblat.

Donnachie also accused Mr Reitblat of being a terrorist during the incident at the halls of residence in March.

The case against his co-accused Samuel Colchester, 20, was found not proven.

Donnachie has been expelled from St Andrews and Mr Colchester has been suspended for one year.

Cupar Sheriff Court had earlier heard evidence from Mr Reitblat, a chemistry student on a one-term exchange from the Jewish Yeshiva University in New York, who said he felt "violated and devastated" by the incident.

The court heard that Donnachie and Mr Colchester entered the halls at 01:30 on 12 March to see another student who shared the flat.

Lithuanian-born Mr Reitblat said he had the 4ft by 3ft (1.2m by 0.9m) flag on the wall after being given it by his brother, an Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) soldier.

He said Donnachie noticed the flag, and said Israel was a terrorist state and the flag was a terrorist symbol.

He then unbuttoned his trousers, put his hands down his pants, pulled off a pubic hair and rubbed it over the flag.

Mr Reitblat said he then threw the pair out.

Sheriff Charlie Macnair told Donnachie, a history student and member of the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign, that he was satisfied he had behaved the way he had towards the Jewish student because Mr Reitblat was a citizen of the State of Israel.

He said: "This flag was his personal property. I consider that your behaviour did evince malice towards Mr Reitblat because of his presumed membership of Israel.

"I'm satisfied that you said Israel was a terrorist state and the flag was a terrorist symbol and I also hold that you said that Mr Reitblat was a terrorist."

Internal investigation
Sentence on Donnachie was deferred for background reports.

Members of the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign, who packed the public benches in the courtroom, booed, tutted and shouted "scandalous" as the sheriff rose to leave.

Outside the court, a tearful Donnachie said he would appeal.

He said: "This is a ridiculous conviction. I'm a member of anti-racism campaigns, and I am devastated that as someone who was fought against racism I have been tarnished in this way."

Mr Reitblat, who was also booed as he left the court, said he "welcomed" the conviction.

St Andrew University conducted its own investigation into the incident back in June but reserved its findings to avoid prejudicing the court proceedings.

A spokesman for the university said it had a long tradition of tolerance, respect and the right to freedom of expression, but was also a community which "abhors racial intolerance".

He added: "Mr Donnachie was informed this afternoon that his studies at St Andrews have been terminated and he will leave the university with immediate effect.

"Mr Colchester has been informed that he has been suspended for one year and excluded from university halls of residence. Any further misconduct on his part will lead to automatic termination of studies."

Source.

I am glad the guy was convicted and kicked out of St Andrews.

How shameful that the Jewish student was booed out of court by pro-Palestinians. If this had involved an Indian student with an Indian flag and slurs like that - everyone would be denouncing it as racism.

People often use the façade of attacking the Israeli State to veil underlying anti-Semitism and prejudice against Israeli nationals.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"This is a ridiculous conviction. I'm a member of anti-racism campaigns, and I am devastated that as someone who was fought against racism I have been tarnished in this way."
I'm not racist! I have black friends! I just hate Jews :fuhrer:
Original post by Chav Princess
Source.

How shameful that the Jewish student was booed out of court by pro-Palestinians. If this had involved an Indian student with an Indian flag and slurs like that - everyone would be denouncing it as racism.

People often use the façade of attacking the Israeli State to veil underlying anti-Semitism and prejudice against Israeli nationals.

Why on earth do people believe such a stupid concept as Israel being a terrorist state?

They're being bombed by Palestinians who have a chip on their shoulder, have been displaced from their homeland for millenia, and have had numerous atrocities commited against them.
Reply 3
Original post by SupernovaNebula
I completely agree. Israel is far from being a terrorist state, I've got sick of Palestinians moaning about something which is their own fault. Especially hysterical Palestinian women who start throwing a fit when Israel defends itself.

On a side not I'm glad tsr finally has someone like you, it's nice to see a female not afraid of exposing the barbarity of Islam.

Where on earth does Islam come into this? I think you are very confused.
Reply 4
Original post by Protoman2050
Why on earth do people believe such a stupid concept as Israel being a terrorist state?

They're being bombed by Palestinians who have a chip on their shoulder, have been displaced from their homeland for millenia, and have had numerous atrocities commited against them.

Surprise surprise, another American defending Israel on these forums. If only they knew how much propaganda their media regularly indoctrinates them with, the illegal killing of innocents their government approves of and their military carries out.

If you don't believe Israel is a terrorist state then I suggest actually going there and witnessing the situation first hand rather than accepting what's spoon-fed to you. Absolute disgrace to humanity.
Reply 5
That's what the flag deserved.

EDIT: The rep wars have begun. 14-18 to the opposition atm. COME ON YOU PRO-PALESTINIANS, LETS TAKE IT HOME BEFORE SEHRI.

EDIT: I'am off for Sehri. Score is 20-23 to the opposing team.

EDIT: The new deadline is Iftari guys :dance:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Inzamam99

Yeah, but it wasn't just a student who bought an Israeli flag and torched it in the street - was it? Look at the context and language alongside it.
Reply 7
Source.

Except people did denounce it as racism. Hence the expulsion. :tongue:
That's disgusting what a disgrace:eek: Can't believe he did that.

If this had involved an Indian student with an Indian flag and slurs like that - everyone would be denouncing it as racism.

What has that got to do with anything?:rolleyes::rolleyes: What happened to the Israeli student is bad. If it had happened to an Indian student it would be bad. If it happened to a British student studying abroad it would be bad. There's no competition when it comes to discrimination, it's all bad.
Reply 9
Yeah, but it wasn't just a student who bought an Israeli flag and torched it in the street - was it? Look at the context and language alongside it.

The fact the flag that was rubbed on the pubes wasn't that of the student doing the deed doesn't take away the fact that said flag got was it deserved. :teehee:
Original post by zainn
Surprise surprise, another American defending Israel on these forums. If only they knew how much propaganda their media regularly indoctrinates them with, the illegal killing of innocents their government approves of and their military carries out.

If you don't believe Israel is a terrorist state then I suggest actually going there and witnessing the situation first hand rather than accepting what's spoon-fed to you. Absolute disgrace to humanity.

And...? I should be offended by this? We have decided Israel is our ally. We will defend them until it no longer serves our purpose.

States have the right to defend their borders, in any way they deem necessary. If it includes making examples of civilians to say "keep away from us, we don't want you here", fine. Tough decisions have to be made for the greater good of the state.

And Israel is simply reprising the Palestinians for their acts of terrorism, which makes it right. You slap our hand, we slap back.
Original post by bluegreendots
What has that got to do with anything?:rolleyes::rolleyes: What happened to the Israeli student is bad. If it had happened to an Indian student it would be bad. If it happened to a British student studying abroad it would be bad. There's no competition when it comes to discrimination, it's all bad.

I mentioned it because the pro-Palestinians, apparently members of all these anti-racist groups, called the conviction 'scandalous' and obviously didn't see it as racist or unacceptable.
And...? I should be offended by this? We have decided Israel is our ally. We will defend them until it no longer serves our purpose.

States have the right to defend their borders, in any way they deem necessary. If it includes making examples of civilians to say "keep away from us, we don't want you here", fine. Tough decisions have to be made for the greater good of the state.

And Israel is simply reprising the Palestinians for their acts of terrorism, which makes it right. You slap our hand, we slap back.

You must also support terrorist attacks against civilians through the same justification?

No it didn't. The Jews have been oppressed for millenia, now they have their own state, and are still getting attacked.

You disgust me for supporting hatred of someone's pride in their nation.
You must also support terrorist attacks against civilians through the same justification?

It's called a reprisal. You attack our civilians without provocation, we'll do the same to you.
It's called a reprisal. You attack our civilians without provocation, we'll do the same to you.

And when they do the same back, it turns into not "reprisal" or "fighting for democracy and freedom" but "terrorism" does it?
No it didn't. The Jews have been oppressed for millenia, now they have their own state, and are still getting attacked.

You disgust me for supporting hatred of someone's pride in their nation.

I don't give a ****. I look at the present where they're the ones doing the oppressing.
I mentioned it because the pro-Palestinians, apparently members of all these anti-racist groups, called the conviction 'scandalous' and obviously didn't see it as racist or unacceptable.

Some people are a bit stupid. You can't be against racism and do something like this.
Reply 18
Inzamam shares a screen name with one of the ****test cricket players to ever captain a team.
Original post by zainn
Where on earth does Islam come into this? I think you are very confused.

I'm not confused, Palestine has everything to do with Islam, stop kidding yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest