The Student Room Group

Why do people say curvy is 'fat'?

Isn't curvy just a body shape? :confused:

I would say both this:

and this:

is curvy even though they're different sizes but everyone seems to think curvy is the same as being fat...:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't say curvy is fat at all. It's just about not being stick thin, and having a bit of fat on your body. (which actually looks quite good on a lot of people) :smile:
Reply 2
first pic isn't even curvy.. Nicki Minaj's figure is the perfect example of curvy imo not fat at all
Reply 3
That top models legs arent very shapely - rather twig like in my estimation. I wouldnt say she's curvy, particularly the way she's posing I think she's trying to appear more curvy than she actually is.

Being curvy to me is about having an hourglass or pear shape figure with a definate bust, waist, arse and shapely legs. The lower body has to be defined "S" shape.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Curvy is about the body shape, not the body size. It is dictated primarily by hip to waist ratio...

Being fat is being overweight, simple as that.
Reply 5
Because a lot of people who say they are curvy are in fact morbidly obese.
Reply 6
Original post by hashman90
first pic isn't even curvy.. Nicki Minaj's figure is the perfect example of curvy imo not fat at all

Her waist is considerably smaller than bust and hips. She's small but she still has that shape
To make fat women feel better? Because they're generally confused? Because fat can be curvy?
Reply 8
any woman above a size 10 is fat /thread
Reply 9
Original post by Selenax

Yes because a size 12 on a girl of 5ft 2" is the same as on a girl who's nearly 6 foot :rolleyes:
:troll2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Selenax

Jelous that we ''fat women'' (I'm 12/14) are happy with our various squidgy bits,are you? :bootyshake:
Reply 11
Original post by Selenax

Inb4 Never seen a woman naked.

You haven't. :wink:
Reply 12
Nothing wrong with chubby sex - that being said: Most girls who describe themselves as curvy or who are described by other girls as such are actually fat. So fat might not be the 'real' meaning of curvy, but thats how the word is usually used and therefore fat becomes the factual meaning of the term.
Reply 13
I think it's because magazines and shows relating to weight/body-size tend to use 'curvy' when refering to larger women because they want to avoid using words like 'big', 'overweight' etc, so other people have started doing it as well.
Reply 14
Curvy isn't fat by the usual definition of "fat". Curvy is having fat in the right places; hips, arse and boobs as in the pictures you posted :smile:
Two words: Gok Wan
Reply 16
Some people are actually curvy, but most people who say they're curvy are actually just fat. It's a fact that only 7% of women actually have an 'hourglass' figure yet aren't 1 in 5 obese? Not all of them can just be 'curvy'.
Reply 17
Because girls who are fat don't want to describe themselves as fat, obviously, so it's like a euphemism (not saying curvy = fat by any means, but the word gets misused)

To me curvy is somewhere between average and chubby with a reasonably large rack. People like to point to slim girls and say oh they're curvy because they have an hourglass figure but you need to have something going on upstairs too imo.
Original post by VeryRandomGirl
Isn't curvy just a body shape? :confused:

I would say both this:

and this:

is curvy even though they're different sizes but everyone seems to think curvy is the same as being fat...:s-smilie:

You're right. Curvy is a shape, you can be curvy at any size.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending