The Student Room Group

Foundation in Computer ?:(

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this big forum. (so sorry if my thread is not in proper place)

However, guys i want your opinions regarding the best place for a foundation computing degree to go to??

and if some of you know something about London Foundation Campus?

because i have an offer from them, so what do you think about it? teaching? helping? private tutors? what they teach in maths(because maths is not a good friend with me!), and the overall of it?

I already called brunel and they said they don't accept anymore students!! :frown:

Please i want some replies :frown:

Thanks in advanced,
Diaa
What grades we looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

What grades we looking at?

Foundation computer science :smile:
Original post by Diaa928
Foundation computer science :smile:

Grades not course.
Reply 4

Grades not course.

GCSEs
Original post by Diaa928
GCSEs

No higher education?
Original post by Diaa928
GCSEs

Even for a foundation degree, you need to have some sort of level 3 qualification. Did you mistake foundation degree with a foundation year? I think you may have more chance with a foundation year, but even universities that offer a foundation year usually expect you to have studied a level 3 qualification. Your best bet is to try and get on an Access to Higher Education course (Computing Diploma). This is offered at quite a few Further education colleges across the country.
Reply 7
There are many places that do Foundation Degree's in Computing (Computer Science), and then lead upto the last year of the Degree - Teesside does Foundation Degrees in Computing and Foundation Degrees in Web Development/Design - I'll be going there :-).

Hope this has helped!

EDIT: For requirements, they do require UCAS Points - around 120. However, in some Colleges, they only require around 40/1 A-level. I don't even think they require any GCSE's haha O.o
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MarkHoppus

Original post by MarkHoppus
There are many places that do Foundation Degree's in Computing (Computer Science), and then lead upto the last year of the Degree - Teesside does Foundation Degrees in Computing and Foundation Degrees in Web Development/Design - I'll be going there :-).

Hope this has helped!

EDIT: For requirements, they do require UCAS Points - around 120. However, in some Colleges, they only require around 40/1 A-level. I don't even think they require any GCSE's haha O.o

I think i'm going to London FoundationCampus :frown:

i don't wanna search anymore i got tired
Also, i just want to do a computer science because i want to do internet security later on when i graduate :smile:

Thanks for the help anyway
Reply 9
Original post by Diaa928
I think i'm going to London FoundationCampus :frown:

i don't wanna search anymore i got tired
Also, i just want to do a computer science because i want to do internet security later on when i graduate :smile:

Thanks for the help anyway

Ah, awesome! I hope everything goes well for you - if you have any questions, just ask :smile:. Computer Science is a good degree to have, and a good job :biggrin:.
Original post by Coursework.info
It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...maybe you should check out Coursework.Info, TSR's sister site. It has the largest library of essays in the UK.

They've got over 181,000+ coursework, essays, homeworks etc.. all written by GCSE, A Level, University and IB students across all topics. You get access either by publishing some of your own work, or paying �5.99 for a month's access. Both ways give you unlimited access to all of the essays.

All their documents are submitted to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software, so it can't be misused, and the site's used by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

What's more, you can take a look around the site and preview the work absolutely free. Click here to find out more...

Sounds almost the same with what I am doing with a course just out of interest at Stanford University work, not being supported by anyone obviously but sounds identical almost but it's off one tutor for the whole piece of work the CS107 course at Stanford Uni in the US, very good stuff but it's entirely about Programming Paradigms understanding why different programming languages exist.

Foundation degree's exist for 2 main reasons for people who don't want to do a full degree but want to do University based work, really what you learn in the first 2 years is meant to make you think about what you want to do for a career in any field, then your final year is all about research into that area you find most interesting, in the form of a non verified thesis, a thesis has to be accurately checked for errors, usually by an external company paying for that research a dissertation is not checked for accuracy.

Or the people who did relatively well at a level 3 based course but then did not get the marks for a formal degree, usually providing (but not always) a way of going into the final level 3 at HE.
(edited 12 years ago)
I got into a Year Zero Computing with only 4 GCSEs. I went direct to the course tutor, had a meeting with them and they gave me an offer.

I do have background in computing as my Dad's "apprentice" which may have given me the edge but instead of worrying about points and such, email the course tutor directly and talk to them.

Quick Reply

Latest