The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is the nightlife as bad as people say?

Yes I know you should not base university applications solely on nightlife.

However, I have heard loads of horror stories of students dropping out of Nottingham due to being bored senseless lol.

Anyone care to give some insight?

Thanks!
I've always found Nottingham to be a Good night out :smile: There's Pit and Pendulum which is like alternative rocky sort of stuff, there's other bars and bigger clubs. I wouldn't say it was any better or worse than anywhere else I've been really.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Mousebudden

However, I have heard loads of horror stories of students dropping out of Nottingham due to being bored senseless lol.

Thanks!

This isn't true, is it?

And Horror stories normally involve axe murderers, zombies or vampires. Not bored teenagers going home.

Nice try!
Reply 3
Original post by cunningstunt87
This isn't true, is it?

And Horror stories normally involve axe murderers, zombies or vampires. Not bored teenagers going home.

Nice try!

Lol.

From friends of friends and family.

And I guess it can be considered pretty bad when you have to uproot and move to a different university to stop yourself from going insane for the 3 years you stay in a city.
I think the nightlife is great! Already got loads planned for next term and there's still a few places I've heard good things about but haven't had time to try yet!
I based my uni choice on academics and a good social scene. So be it if thats "wrong". And I chose to study at Nottingham because its an excellent night out. I've only been 3 times but each time there was plenty of bars and some good clubs too. It will always be the people you share your time with that makes it or breaks it for you so just hope to meet some like minded people :smile:
Reply 6
If you're "bored senseless" in Nottingham then there must be something wrong with you. The number of passtimes and diversions - at the Uni and in Nottingham in general - must number in the thousands! Clubs, bars, pubs, restaurants, shops, tourist activities... never mind events put on by the Uni societies and AU clubs.

Have you ever wandered around Warwick Uni campus? Or Keele?
Reply 7
I went out 3-4 nights per week in the first two terms of my Fresher year (last year), and never got bored. I'm from Leeds, which supposedly has a pretty good night life, but Nottingham's is miles better. There's an enormous choice of clubs and bars and bar-clubs, at least 3 club events every night, and loads of special events like Rebel Bingo, various pub crawls, carnage etc.
In short, it's got one of the best nightlifes in the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by BrushieDuck
I think the nightlife is great! Already got loads planned for next term and there's still a few places I've heard good things about but haven't had time to try yet!

Thanks for the replies, repped

Original post by BarbaraStreisand
I based my uni choice on academics and a good social scene. So be it if thats "wrong". And I chose to study at Nottingham because its an excellent night out. I've only been 3 times but each time there was plenty of bars and some good clubs too. It will always be the people you share your time with that makes it or breaks it for you so just hope to meet some like minded people :smile:

Original post by Acidedge
If you're "bored senseless" in Nottingham then there must be something wrong with you. The number of passtimes and diversions - at the Uni and in Nottingham in general - must number in the thousands! Clubs, bars, pubs, restaurants, shops, tourist activities... never mind events put on by the Uni societies and AU clubs.

Have you ever wandered around Warwick Uni campus? Or Keele?

Original post by TheBigCh
I went out 3-4 nights per week in the first two terms of my Fresher year (last year), and never got bored. I'm from Leeds, which supposedly has a pretty good night life, but Nottingham's is miles better. There's an enormous choice of clubs and bars and bar-clubs, at least 3 club events every night, and loads of special events like Rebel Bingo, various pub crawls, carnage etc.
In short, it's got one of the best nightlifes in the UK.
Reply 9
Not enjoying Nottingham's nightlife? That's a paddlin'
Lol.

From friends of friends and family.

And I guess it can be considered pretty bad when you have to uproot and move to a different university to stop yourself from going insane for the 3 years you stay in a city.

If in a city the size of Nottingham you can't find something to do, then it speaks volumes about you as a human being. As others have said, there is a fantastic student scene here and there is plenty to get involved in with societies, sports and other student led events.

Where did your "friends of friends" (always a reliable source that one) and family move to when they dropped out of Nottingham then?
x

Have some rep back.

Didn't answer my question though, did you?

Original post by cunningstunt87
If in a city the size of Nottingham you can't find something to do, then it speaks volumes about you as a human being. As others have said, there is a fantastic student scene here and there is plenty to get involved in with societies, sports and other student led events.

Where did your "friends of friends" (always a reliable source that one) and family move to when they dropped out of Nottingham then?
Here in London you got your clubs, landmarks, typical attractions, shops, cinema, seasonal events, bars and pubs. I've visited Nottingham a few times and I saw/visited all of that. Bearing in mind I'll also being going to a University with 200 societies (I've read that somewhere) with hall and campus events too. If I get bored it will be entirely my own fault.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
haha bizarre..I've never heard Nottingham be described as a boring night out before.

There's so much to do, don't worry about it.
Original post by Lauren_Summer
I've always found Nottingham to be a Good night out :smile: There's Pit and Pendulum which is like alternative rocky sort of stuff, there's other bars and bigger clubs. I wouldn't say it was any better or worse than anywhere else I've been really.

this,

Thanks!

Seeing as Nottingham has a reputation for one of the best nightlifes in the country then I think you'll be fine. Hell people go to Nottingham from other cities for the night out-in a similar way to people heading to Newcastle. You have a good 20 or so clubs, well over a 100 bars (including 14 on campus) 2 football clubs, a test cricket ground, a professional rugby ground, the best cinema in Europe, a very good arts/cafe district, the UK's best Ice Hockey team/arena etc. etc. as well as over 100 societies and 70 sports teams at the uni.

If you're bored then you are a very, very unique person.
Reply 16
Nottingham is pretty damn good for nights out! Obviously I'm biased because it's my home town, but there's lots of clubs and bars. I mean you've got Rock City for gigs and club nights (Thursday 2uned and Saturday HeyHeyHey are the best club nights there in my opinion). There's The Forum, Oceana, Gatecrasher which are like your stereotypical nightclubs and that's just to name a few decent nightclubs in Notts. Oh and I don't know anybody who has come out of BZR sober...I know I haven't! Them cheap triple voddies are lethal :tongue:

It's pretty good for the music scene as well. You've got your smaller venues like Rescue Rooms and Bodega social. Rock City which hosts some pretty awesome gigs as well. Then the Trent FM arena for your bigger gigs e.g. Biffy Clyro, Paramore, Peter Kay, Lee Evans, Katy Perry and loads more. If that's not your thing then there's the Theatre Royal and the Playhouse for your plays etc.

To sum up, compared to some places, Nottingham's nightlife is awesome so I don't know how people can be bored.
Reply 17
Maybe if your used to Newcastle or Oceania in London it might be boring, but there are far worse places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending