The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I went for a job which I wasn't particularly suited for. All I did was ass lick the manager and voila ''The jobs yours son!''
The debt degree of young American adults -- those under the age of 35 -- has taken a steep dive in the last ten years or so, according to a brand new study. Usually, that would sound like good news for the economy. In reality, however, it suggests a very unpleasant pattern. The reason that debt has fallen so sharply is because today's young adults have too few resources to consider taking on new loans.

Source of article: Debt rate falls for young adults, but not a good sign
Reply 22
Original post by TKC
The experience thing seems kinda crazy nowadays, businesses are in a position to ask for anything in their vacancies. Things like: "cleaners wanted, 3 years experience essential", or "telemarketers with 10 years experience and who speak fluent mandarin".

Most of us were brought up with I guess fairly middle class expectations; when you're not even qualified to do 'menial' jobs it's a bit depressing.

You might have a point but being unemployed can be a distressing state and it's instinctively irksome for it not to be recognized as such when you're putting in the hours and getting nowhere.

I can relate to this. There was a cleaner job going in St Helens some months back. They wanted excellent communication skills, experience cleaning tables and hoovering carpets, and a GCSE in maths. They also wanted someone with a 'bubbly character'.
Original post by Bill_Gates
We should be seen as the future of this country, i just dont get why so many young people are unemployed. Its beneficial for employers to employ young people rather than the 50+ as its less of a financial strain. We have more young people going university than ever before obtaining degrees. I can think of a list of reasons but what do you believe is the MAIN reason why?

Laziness.

Spoiler

Young people usually have less experience, can be less reliable and may use jobs as stop gaps until something better comes along. People in their 30s/40s/50s won't normally have these issues if they apply for work they have already got experience in.

It is very frustrating when you see temporary jobs that are barely enough hours a week to live on asking for 2+ years experience e.g. certain retail companies. You don't need 2 years experience to know how to work a till (which can vary significantly from store to store) and stand guard on a fitting room, you just don't. It's hardly any wonder people fresh out of school/college/university are struggling to get basic work.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Young people usually have less experience, can be less reliable and may use jobs as stop gaps until something better comes along. People in their 30s/40s/50s won't normally have these issues if they apply for work they have already got experience in.

It is very frustrating when you see temporary jobs that are barely enough hours a week to live on asking for 2+ years experience e.g. certain retail companies. You don't need 2 years experience to know how to work a till (which can vary significantly from store to store) and stand guard on a fitting room, you just don't. It's hardly any wonder people fresh out of school/college/university are struggling to get basic work.

Ever thought that the reason such jobs ask for 2+ years experience when they can be trained within a day is because they don't want graduates applying for them as stop gaps? They'd rather take on the person who will stay there, who has no other skills than operating a till or a hoover.
Original post by partoftheweekend
A lot just dont put enough effort in. If you spend 1-2 hours doing an application every week then you will definitely get a job.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
We have more young people going university than ever before obtaining degrees.

Possibly part of the reason? So many people have degrees now the novelty of employing someone with a degree has worn off. You're expected to have a degree now in a lot of industries. Whereas in the past it was more like "wow you have a degree!!".
We should be seen as the future of this country, i just dont get why so many young people are unemployed. Its beneficial for employers to employ young people rather than the 50+ as its less of a financial strain. We have more young people going university than ever before obtaining degrees. I can think of a list of reasons but what do you believe is the MAIN reason why?

Because like insurance companies think, we are viewed as a talentless menace. Our only ambition in life is to get pissed, stoned and violent. My counter answer to this attitude is hold old was Bin Laden, Adolf Hitler and other great violentists. Bloody ancient most probably.
I for one am more than willing to put the hours in and learn how to do a job properly. All I ask in return is a fair days wage for a fair days work, although thats seldom the case for most hard workers of any age.
Reply 29
I am young and a recent graduate from uni. I had a good, stable job but unfortunately had to quit due to not being able to afford transport and living costs.
1) Not enough jobs due to an economic depression
2) Young people lack experience
3) Young people require training
4) Young people are perceived to have received an inferior education
5) Young people are perceived to be lazy and unreliable
Reply 31
Original post by partoftheweekend
If you spend 1-2 hours doing an application every week then you will definitely get a job.

Well thats good to know, but you'll still be coming in at 33 - 34 hours under the required minimum to claim Universal Credit.
Reply 32
Old thread, so I'm closing it. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic in Society.

Latest

Trending

Trending