The Student Room Group

student grant

hi all,
I am starting uni in september AGAIN because i had to drop out last year. I could not get housing benefit and the loans was for bills e.t.c so i had to pay the rent i ended up broke! so i had to drop out so i can get housing benefit. I do work but don't get alot of hours every week anywhere from 14-16 hours a week. My mum and dad are in a foreign country and no way of getting a p60. I live with my bro and he is in the same situation we only get loans and that can not cover for our living and expenses. So is there any way we can get the grant so we can attand uni?
I am 22 and my brother is 24. Our yearly income on p60 is just over £4,000 each. Thanks for any help
Reply 1
Are you an EU/international student?

Unless you can provide evidence that you have been self supporting for 3 years then your parents income has to be taken into account. If you can't provide that then you will not get a grant.
Reply 2
i am full british. My parents do not help me in any way so their income should be irrelevant. My brother and i pay the bills, we share all bills. I asked my Dad for a p60 but there is nothing like that in the country he works so i am stuck
Reply 3
Then I am afraid you are out of luck. As I said, unless you can show evidence that you have been supporting yourself for 3 years you will have to be assessed on your parents income. If you can't, you will get the un-assessed loan only. Those are the rules, whether you think it should be irrelevant or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending