Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fast Stream 2012

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well hopefully we'll know by the end of next week... maybe even at the start of next week!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obamtl)
    Congrats. When's your FSB? Mine is on the 17th.
    Mine's the week after. I am surprised I got through since the interview went terribly. I expect the next one will be similarly tough.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovers in japan)
    Well hopefully we'll know by the end of next week... maybe even at the start of next week!
    did you see my previous post? The woman at parity said if you were unsuccessful for DS and are waiting on HoP theres no point waiting and you should just take central dept because theyre only taking on a tiny number of people and only those who put HoP as number one choice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    About diversity:

I just wanted to say that even if it seems that everyone where you live, study or work is of a similar background to you, there will still be diversity in the group.

For example, they may
    • have married early
    • have a different family set-up from most
    • have children or not, if everyone else has
    • have disabilities (hidden or otherwise)
    • be lefthanded
    • be tattooed, dress differently
    • have practices that deviate from the mainstream (whatever they may be).

You can imagine that this is not anywhere near complete a list as you would compile of the diversities within your groups of colleagues, acquaintances etc, knowing them as you do. When I think of diversity, I don't just think of inner-city multi-culti type stuff, I think of all the ways in which people are different and individual. I would think that if you consider the mundane differences you may well be taking for granted, and how you adapt to them, you will present what anyone might perceive as a very credible answer to the diversity question.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    did you see my previous post? The woman at parity said if you were unsuccessful for DS and are waiting on HoP theres no point waiting and you should just take central dept because theyre only taking on a tiny number of people and only those who put HoP as number one choice
    I rang them today and they told me to hold on for FSB. I haven't been told I'm through or anything but I was told to wait.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evidza)
    About diversity:

I just wanted to say that even if it seems that everyone where you live, study or work is of a similar background to you, there will still be diversity in the group.

For example, they may
    • have married early
    • have a different family set-up from most
    • have children or not, if everyone else has
    • have disabilities (hidden or otherwise)
    • be lefthanded
    • be tattooed, dress differently
    • have practices that deviate from the mainstream (whatever they may be).

I agree with your general meaning that diversity comes in many shapes and forms but I think if you answered the interviewers question by saying that you have experience with lots of people who are left handed he/she may not be too impressed
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never been asked that question on either of the times I've attended the FSAC, I guess I've always opened the interview with the fact I've lived abroad though, so it's a given that I've encountered diversity. Based on that you could spend hours and hours gaining experience and the interviewers brushing it over like they did with me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, got an hour to shower, walk there and hopefully turn some paperclips into cuff links... Typically I left mine at home despite checking my bag umpteen times. So lesson learnt, write a packing list well in advance...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach2012)
    I agree with your general meaning that diversity comes in many shapes and forms but I think if you answered the interviewers question by saying that you have experience with lots of people who are left handed he/she may not be too impressed
    Gotcha.
    Or even "some of my best friends have tongue studs".

But for those people who may struggle with the diversity/equal opps area of interviews, I'd say:

Because the point is to show you are aware of the differences that exist among individuals, even the lefthanded example may impress if you show that you are conscious that in your environment, where all the eqpt is for right handed people that you made adaptations such as rearranging the phone and pc mouse to their convenince. Or for someone with a stutter, that you allowed for submissions to be in writing as well as orally, in xxx type of situation.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Ok, got an hour to shower, walk there and hopefully turn some paperclips into cuff links... Typically I left mine at home despite checking my bag umpteen times. So lesson learnt, write a packing list well in advance...
    Good luck! Least you shouldn't have to wait long for results either!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Good Luck hope it goes well today!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just found out I've been placed in the Department of Transport already! Very surprised at how quick that has been

Everything's successful apart from Current Employment Reference, having to chase that up...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Hope it goes well for you mate
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDixie)
    Just found out I've been placed in the Department of Transport already! Very surprised at how quick that has been

Everything's successful apart from Current Employment Reference, having to chase that up...
    wow that IS quick. did they give an indication of when you'll be starting?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm222)
    wow that IS quick. did they give an indication of when you'll be starting?
    Yeah, very surprised. I was settling myself in for a long wait.

They've just said that their HR person will shortly be in touch to discuss possible postings within the department and to arrange a meeting
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think I'd be more anxious to know where I was going to be living than whom I was going to be working for, are you looking to live in London or stay up here?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDixie)

What scheme are you successful for? I have been assigned to DWP for HR i was surprised to find out so soon. Hopefully looking for a North West posting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardp2020)
    Personally, I think I'd be more anxious to know where I was going to be living than whom I was going to be working for, are you looking to live in London or stay up here?
    London, 99% I'll be heading down there too

(Original post by shellybean01)
    What scheme are you successful for? I have been assigned to DWP for HR i was surprised to find out so soon. Hopefully looking for a North West posting.
    Graduate Scheme
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A big good luck to everyone still waiting to find out if they are through! I guess it won't be too much longer now!

Is anyone still waiting on NI fast stream results? I'm still awaiting results having attended FSAC in early March. Not quite sure what that means but not holding out much hope given the small number of places for this stream!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.