The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ya Basta!

Can I ask what the normal pass grade is around for CD is it 17ish? Or slightly lower normally?

Yeah, apparently it is 17.

Sounds to me like things are pretty close all-round. I got lucky with a 17.27, so didn't pass for DS, but I have CD to look forward to and I'm totally psyched. Even with a pass mark I have some fantastic criticism I know I can work on/with and I think this bodes well for people taking it a second time around.

Congrats to all of you who made it, and for those of you preparing to go through the process again BEST OF LUCK! I'm sure you will do excellently!!!
Last few years has just been above or below 17 yes. To go from a 16 to a 17 should be relatively straightforward, in fact I'd go so far as to say the e-tray will be the difficult part not the FSAC, as it can be a bit random at times.
Reply 2162
Still no news, had my FSAC on 31/1. Have heard a few weeks ago that i've failed HOP so still not holding out much hope. Presuming that my score is in the region of 16.3 to 16.9, which is grim because it makes me so close.
Original post by cha4zz
Still no news, had my FSAC on 31/1. Have heard a few weeks ago that i've failed HOP so still not holding out much hope. Presuming that my score is in the region of 16.3 to 16.9, which is grim because it makes me so close.

Oooh that is a long wait, well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :smile: And think about it, you haven't been rejected in any of the cut-offs, so you're obviously close!
Reply 2164
Original post by lovers in japan
Oooh that is a long wait, well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :smile: And think about it, you haven't been rejected in any of the cut-offs, so you're obviously close!

Thanks a lot. Best of luck with your HOP if you're still involved with the process, and hope that you get your report and results soon too.
Original post by cha4zz
Thanks a lot. Best of luck with your HOP if you're still involved with the process, and hope that you get your report and results soon too.

Yep, I got immediately successful for CD and awaiting results for HoP, after being unsuccessful for DS. I just want to know now :p:
Reply 2166
Out of interest, did anyone hear today that had been waiting over a week? Or was it just those that had had FSAC's since the most recent cut?
Original post by obamtl
Mid-15s is pretty close. That's where TiB pass mark usually falls. It was around 15.5 last year. Hopefully, since it appears they're taking on more people for TiB this year, I hope the pass mark drops further this year.

I'd be interested about where you read that :smile: I'm sure I read somewhere or another there would be around 20 places this year, but last year there were only 11 I think?
Original post by lovers in japan
That's very weird, when was your FSAC?

8th Feb. I got rejected from HoP 21st Feb, so not expecting a positive result for CD.
Reply 2169
Original post by TruckBear
8th Feb. I got rejected from HoP 21st Feb, so not expecting a positive result for CD.

Yeah you're in exactly the same boat as me. I just want to know my results and outcome now, been waiting so long that it will be a relief just to find out.
Reply 2170
Original post by rach2012
Oh I can't believe they've updated some and not others, I was so hopeful it'd be today (FSAC 12/01) Is it only those who sat fsac last week who've been updated or is it specific departments? (I'm waiting for results for HR).

If it is indeed only people that took it last week that are hearing then they obviously have yet to set the final pass mark. So if you have been waiting, then nothing has altered to bring that wait to an end yet...

Judging by the scores that I and others have got this does seem to be the case, we're all well under the immidiately unsuccessful line from the last tightening of the bands, which I'm guessing at the moment is around the 16.75 mark for auto-fail or 17.25 for auto-pass...

Sorry Stomm, will you be applying again next year?

Of course, I've applied every year since I think 2006 with the exception of I think 2009 or 2010.

I am pretty sure that I am more than capable of doing the job, but don't really give myself a decent chance at it as I haven't allowed myself the time to properly prepare even just through getting a decent amount of sleep in the week or so leading up to the FSAC...
Reply 2171
Original post by Stomm
If it is indeed only people that took it last week that are hearing then they obviously have yet to set the final pass mark. So if you have been waiting, then nothing has altered to bring that wait to an end yet...

Of course, I've applied every year since I think 2006 with the exception of I think 2009 or 2010.

I am pretty sure that I am more than capable of doing the job, but don't really give myself a decent chance at it as I haven't allowed myself the time to properly prepare even just through getting a decent amount of sleep in the week or so leading up to the FSAC...

I did think that it looks like just those from last week who found out, once the shock of another day with no update went away :smile:

I hope you don't mind me saying but it did sound from your posts like you weren't giving yourself a decent chance, you seemed to know more about the fs than most but then didn't re-read the forms or previous feedback until the last minute (sounds so much like myself that I noticed it lol!). I don't know why I bothered applying last year as I was 8 months pregnant and working full time, the day before the e-tray I was working until 2am so obviously wasn't at my best and didn't even pass that stage. This year I very nearly saboutaged myself again, wasn't going to bother going to e-tray as didn't see the point and only decided on the morning! I'm so glad I did though as the more involved in the process I got the more I really want this, if I don't pass I'm going to give it 100% again next year. Imo I think you've got an excellent chance for next year, you may need to take the week off work though lol (hmm excellent advice for myself :smile: )
Reply 2172
Original post by cha4zz
Out of interest, did anyone hear today that had been waiting over a week? Or was it just those that had had FSAC's since the most recent cut?

Still waiting on CD and had my FSAC back in February. I think tomorrow might be the day, I guess they'll have probably set the final pass mark by now.

Does anyone know if anyone has actually got through after being amber banded right until the end? I assume a few people will make it through, but I'm not sure if it'll be very many at all. Sorry to be pessimistic...I have my fingers crossed for other people in the waiting boat nonetheless!
Gutted never heard today. But still, there's always tomorrow!

On a side note: how fit is the doctor in Coronation Street?? Might start watching the soaps again! Lol

Good luck everyone still waiting, commiserations to those who didn't have good news, we've all done well to get this far, remember that!
Reply 2174
Original post by ciara
Still waiting on CD and had my FSAC back in February. I think tomorrow might be the day, I guess they'll have probably set the final pass mark by now.

Does anyone know if anyone has actually got through after being amber banded right until the end? I assume a few people will make it through, but I'm not sure if it'll be very many at all. Sorry to be pessimistic...I have my fingers crossed for other people in the waiting boat nonetheless!

What was your first choice? HOP or DS? The only other person I know that's been waiting this long also was rejected from HOP but is still amber-banded for CD like myself.

Yeah i'm not particularly optimistic after reading through previous years threads, but I guess being so close means that even if were not successful this year, we should be ok next year.
Reply 2175
Original post by cha4zz
What was your first choice? HOP or DS? The only other person I know that's been waiting this long also was rejected from HOP but is still amber-banded for CD like myself.

Yeah i'm not particularly optimistic after reading through previous years threads, but I guess being so close means that even if were not successful this year, we should be ok next year.

First choice was DS, for which I was immediately unsuccessful.
I hope you don't mind me saying but it did sound from your posts like you weren't giving yourself a decent chance, you seemed to know more about the fs than most but then didn't re-read the forms or previous feedback until the last minute.

Strangely for me doing little preparation helped, I just felt completely chilled before my FSAC. I read through my FSAC report a few times, but apart from that just a few notes on each exercise with some of my ideas. Apart from the interview, you can't really prepare too much in my opinion. Obviously sleeping helps though, I heard alcohol helps with that problem :cool:
Original post by richardp2020
Strangely for me doing little preparation helped, I just felt completely chilled before my FSAC. I read through my FSAC report a few times, but apart from that just a few notes on each exercise with some of my ideas. Apart from the interview, you can't really prepare too much in my opinion. Obviously sleeping helps though, I heard alcohol helps with that problem :cool:

I didn't do prep apart from a good night's sleep :smile: Although I did have the familiarisation session to help me, but that was all. Would definitely recommend going if you get invited!
Reply 2178
Original post by richardp2020
I'd be interested about where you read that :smile: I'm sure I read somewhere or another there would be around 20 places this year, but last year there were only 11 I think?

In 2010, there were 26 places, with 29 offered the job (info available in the official report on the 2010 FSAC. the ICT Capabilities Strategy of HM Government, released a couple of months ago, goes on to explain the strategic importance of the TiB Fast Stream to civil service and how it is being (will be) expanded to provide a talent stream for the civil service ICT needs. Up until the 2010 FSAC, the number of positions have increased yearly. I do not have official figures for 2011 yet, but I find it hard to believe the numbers were cut to 11, against the government objective to entrench the relatively new TiB scheme.
Reply 2179
I have been reading posts since about the 50th page and have only got round to writing on here.

Come September I would have been in the Civil Service for two years on a business graduate scheme. I applied for the Fast Stream on the last day (only managed to select CD due to this) and had my process completed much earlier than some of those who have posted.

I feel the anguish for waiting. I sat my FSAC on Feb 14th and got my result on the 21st (I got through FSAC for CD). i have subsequently bene placed in MoD which is the department I currently work in.

What I am getting at and its for the majority of those who have been unsuccessful is that you can do much greater prepartion for this than you originally thought. I have friends who are on the Fast Stream and I ran my ideas past them.

Little breakdown:

Group Exercise - Read your role first, paramount and so important. You will then be able to pick bits of info from the options which relate directly to your goal/role. Focus on the options which have specific purpose to you and write lists of pro's and con's. Then cross your fingers for a little bit of luck and make sure that you are comprehensive in what you say. This is more about how you work with people. Basic skills of negotiation - imagine you were talking to someone incredibly important and think about your conduct. You may be able to script an opening e.g. "right as we only have 45 minutes to discuss shall we align the objectives and then go around introducing ourselves and what options are our priority"

Policy Exercise 1 - Write as many examples as possible, regardless of how ridiculous they are. I wrote 32 examples, concise and short answered.

Policy Exercise 2 - Think about hte layout first and foremost. It should be no longer than 2 pages (i wrote 3 and a half but got carried away). I wrote a layout from the outset with titles and subheadings and then filled it in once I had annotated the evidence.

Briefing - This is all down to you. Plan it, break it down and think about wider issues. Simply don't panic. Read the question and do what it says. If it says discuss how it may be implemented then do so. This is a thinking on your feet exercise with the questioning.

Interview - plan your competencies and remember them. Align them with the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result - through in Learning from Experience too.

I had my FSAC Report maybe three weeks ago and scored quite well with 20. I have to go and see my fast stream manager on Tuesday.

Without sounding patronising you just have to think about your approach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending