Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fast Stream 2012

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Has anyone who's been unsuccessful had any awkward conversations like I have on telling others I didn't get in?

FRIEND: Oh don't worry about it too much. XYZ is on the Fast Stream now and she HATES it.
    ME: ...Two weeks ago you told me she was loving it!
    FRIEND: Yeah but now you haven't got in I decided to tell you the truth. Hates it, I tell you.
    ME: I'm fully planning on applying again next year.
    FRIEND: ...

and

FRIEND: You're better off not getting in. I know someone who's pretty high up in the Civil Service and apparently the Fast Stream is just a home for weird people who'd never cope in any other job. It's like they just house them all there to keep them out of the way.
    ME: You do know I'm re-applying next year, right?
    FRIEND: ...You'll love it. You'll fit in really well. I'm sure they're all absolutely normal!

Though I'm sure none of it is true/people who hate the job are in the minority, it does make me wonder. What if I put off being a grown-up for another year only to find I don't even like it?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustRollingAlong)
    Out with 16.49, but, oddly, got a generally very positive feedback report! Overall there seem to be only a few small things I could have done better. Although, I was not at all surprised to learn that the one area that did let me down was those self-assessment forms, I hated those at the time!

Commiserations to others who got close, and congratulations to all those who are through!
    What scheme did you apply for?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you view your report? I can't seem to find mine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there anybody else out there still awaiting results?
    Need advice please, I can't handle waiting until after easter to find out, should I contact them again or will they just fob me off as usual? I emailed this morning and they said results will be out today but its nearly 5
    Feel stupid contacting them again but then on the other hand I haven't contacted them lots whilst waiting or anything. I called one other time couple of weeks back but I have been waiting since 12th Jan. I'm waiting on HR results, any opinions??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comeluckyapril)
    Christ! Not rating my chances of getting this far through again then! Kudos to you for persevering though.
    Well its the only thing I'd be willing to put the kids in the care of someone else for. I haven't been applying for any other grad schemes or even just other jobs during this time. Short of picking up a rifle and repelling some alien invaders from a parallel universe (actually someone ought to point out that alien invasion is our most pressing thread to national security... ), I can't think of anything that I could do that might be more worthy without having to go back to uni to do a PGCE...

(Original post by comeluckyapril)
    Not sure I could take applying more than two or three times...until I found out I was unsuccessful I hadn't realised how much time I'd wasted since I applied just thinking/worrying/preparing for everything. And now it's all to know that I could slip up easily on the competency questionnaire (seriously I just rated myself 4/5 for everything last time, I still have no idea what they were actually looking for) or the e-tray again next year
    Well if I hadn't been looking after small children during that time period I'm sure that banging my head against a brick wall might have been preferable. But as I have said, well probably not here actually. But basically I don't 'plan' on even working part time until my youngest is almost six, ideally heading towards seven. But I would make an exception for a job where you can make a real difference and be engaging enough for me. That in a nutshell is why I've applied to the Civil Service Faststream year on year for what I think must be six or seven years now, oh and little much else of course...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach2012)
    Is there anybody else out there still awaiting results?
    Need advice please, I can't handle waiting until after easter to find out, should I contact them again or will they just fob me off as usual? I emailed this morning and they said results will be out today but its nearly 5
    Feel stupid contacting them again but then on the other hand I haven't contacted them lots whilst waiting or anything. I called one other time couple of weeks back but I have been waiting since 12th Jan. I'm waiting on HR results, any opinions??
    Calling them is likely to leave you more frustrated, but if you don't then you'll spend all weekend wishing you had...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm annoyed.

Got a pass for HoP(!)

THEN got an email saying I was unsuccessful.

...it's like sorry, what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Calling them is likely to leave you more frustrated, but if you don't then you'll spend all weekend wishing you had...
    Arrrrhhhhh, you were right
    Just called and was told most likely to be next week, as we're still waiting for some to be marked???!!!! I attended 2nd week in January, if they still haven't marked it then thats a disgrace. Bit by bit lost faith in this scheme, its so unprofessional. Surely they realise how important the results are to people!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovers in japan)
    Right, I'm annoyed.

Got a pass for HoP(!)

Wut?! So two emails?! Hope you replied immediately!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cha4zz)
    So we know that the score is between 16.37 and 16.68 which someone else in the thread got.
    16.55 and unsuccessful. Even more gash than about a month ago.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more tea vicar?)
    Wut?! So two emails?! Hope you replied immediately!
    Yep, they confirmed to me that they only accepted people who chose it as their first choice.

I replied immediately with my disappointment at them not making this clear earlier in the application process, to prevent unnecessary applications.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I just missed the DS cut off! Got 17.8 exactly -- passed the HoP mark, but not invited to a FSB, probably because DS was my first choice. Ah well. DfID as first choice, then. xD
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudofcalm)
    Apparently I just missed the DS cut off! Got 17.8 exactly -- passed the HoP mark, but not invited to a FSB, probably because DS was my first choice. Ah well. DfID as first choice, then. xD
    I didn't even bother applying for DfID :p: I thought if I missed out on HoP, I probably wouldn't get it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm annoyed.

Got a pass for HoP(!)

I'd have been gutted in the same situation, I suppose there's not a lot they can do other than apologise, but it must have been so disappointing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yep, they confirmed to me that they only accepted people who chose it as their first choice.

I replied immediately with my disappointment at them not making this clear earlier in the application process, to prevent unnecessary applications.
    That really sucks, but I did tell you that about two weeks ago. If you called them up, they were pretty up front about it!

I'm sorry they gave you a mixed message though, thats really unprofessional sending two emails!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even bother applying for DfID :p: I thought if I missed out on HoP, I probably wouldn't get it.
    It seems like you can get a really high score (like way above HoP pass) and not get in just because of what you put, so I wouldnt let that put you off DFID. It really annoyed me that I wasnt just immediately unsuccessful for HoP because I put DS first. So annoying!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I have just passes the sift stage and received an invite to an EAC. The invite contained a research topic question. My question is can I just memorise a pre prepared essay/report and write it verbatim on the day within the 30 mins (times 2 reports), or will the question on the day ask for a specific analysis regarding a particular aspect of the topic and hence should not proceed with the above strategy.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    That really sucks, but I did tell you that about two weeks ago. If you called them up, they were pretty up front about it!

I'm sorry they gave you a mixed message though, thats really unprofessional sending two emails!
    After I read what you wrote, I rang them, and they told me that this was not confirmed and I should wait until the results...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    After I read what you wrote, I rang them, and they told me that this was not confirmed and I should wait until the results...
    so weird...?!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    so weird...?!
    I know right?! Hence my irritation! But it's done now, sent off my departmental stuff... so we'll see.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.