The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2320
Original post by F6053721
I'm already in DWP. Don't know my score. There doesn't seem to be a link for me to see it

Did you get your report?
Original post by Rosaliec
Here are the ones that atttended the open day:

*Business, innovation and skills
* communities and local governments
* Education
* International development
* Transport (I met three people placed here, they're recruiting a lot!)
* Health
*Work and pensions
* Energy and climate change
* Foreign and commonwealth
* Her majesty's revenue and customs
* Home office
* Intellectual property office ( they were really friendly, and a newer department. They travel a lot to Brussels, the guy was going to Paris the next day. I think theyre one to research)
* Ministry of defence
* Ministry of justice
* Scottish government

There were also a couple of departments that couldn't be there but i can't for the life of me remember who they were.

I hope this helps

Good list, the IPO was a very cool office, but mainly based in Wales.

The two missing offices were the Cabinet Office and the Welsh Department I believe.

xx
Reply 2322
Passed GFS with 16.58. Skin of teeth stuff. Decent.
Original post by rach2012
Did you get your report?

Haven't got it yet. Unless i just don't know where i'm looking for it

I've attached an image below that shows where to find it. If you can't see it there, something is amiss :smile:

Reply 2325

Does it look like that one above? I just find it odd, maybe you haven't had it yet because mine never updated at all, still says 'awaiting results' for HR. Why would they tell you unsuccessful but not give report for hr then not update others waiting on hr at all? when I called he said they still had some to mark!
Reply 2326
Original post by Rosaliec
Here are the ones that atttended the open day:

*Business, innovation and skills
* communities and local governments
* Education
* International development
* Transport (I met three people placed here, they're recruiting a lot!)
* Health
*Work and pensions
* Energy and climate change
* Foreign and commonwealth
* Her majesty's revenue and customs
* Home office
* Intellectual property office ( they were really friendly, and a newer department. They travel a lot to Brussels, the guy was going to Paris the next day. I think theyre one to research)
* Ministry of defence
* Ministry of justice
* Scottish government

There were also a couple of departments that couldn't be there but i can't for the life of me remember who they were.

I hope this helps

Cheers for this. IPO does look interesting, but maybe they're being really friendly because they have to find some way to attract people to Newport?
Reply 2327
Hi all,

Can't believe I've only dicovered this forum now that the application process is done, would've liked to share my pain in waiting for results with others:smile:

Anyway, could really use some advice from people who migh be better informed on the work and locations of departments than me (central departments)!

Which areas do you think I should I stay away from and which areas I should have as first options if I'm really keen on staying in London? (don't mind domestic or international travel, but for personal reasons need to be based in London, or worst case scenario south-east)

These are the available areas that I need to choose from:
Business, science and technology
Economics and Finance
Education
Environment
Health and Welfare
International Development
Judicial, legal and constitutional
Migration, nationality, equality and border control
Security and defence
Social and community
Transport and regeneration
Devolved Gov- Scotland, Wales

So far I though I should exclude Migration, nationality, equality and border control and Devolved Gov- Scotland, Wales from my options

Can anyone help? Really appreciate it!
Avoiding the devolved governments is an obvious one, apart from that I'm sure I read that 85% of the fast stream roles are based in London or just outside. If you have valid personal reasons for wanting to stay in London, I'm sure if you mention them they won't place you elsewhere.
Reply 2329
Original post by richardp2020
Avoiding the devolved governments is an obvious one, apart from that I'm sure I read that 85% of the fast stream roles are based in London or just outside. If you have valid personal reasons for wanting to stay in London, I'm sure if you mention them they won't place you elsewhere.

Thanks for that!
I've read that too but was still a bit worried. I'm not sure if my reasons will be valid from their perspective as it's pretty much wanting to be there just for a couple of people in my life who are there. So a bit tricky to formulate that into a valid reason.

I was thinking of just putting London and South East as location preference and not make use of the option to choose three locations, do you think that's a bad idea?..as in I'm afraid they might think I'm not being flexible and decrease my chances of being offered a job..
I'm not applying for GFS, so somebody else can confirm this, but I think you get placed to a department first, before been placed in a specific office. You could discuss this at the meeting with the HR person. Unfortunately the Fast Stream website is pretty clear about the fact that you have to be prepared to get placed anywhere, I hope it works out for you though:smile:
Through to the TiB FSB on April 17, genuinely having to pinch myself. Does anyone have a reasonable estimate for vacancies/remainign applicants? The 2010 report seemed to indicate that of 42 people who showed, 29 were offered positions - I like them odds!

Also, I've been wondering about FSBs: Are they essentially another FSAC, in that they're looking for the 'best talent', or are they just ensuring that the applicant is at home with the stream they're going on and can handle more specific concepts that wouldn't have been brought up in FSAC?

Either way, I'm pumped!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2332
I'm not applying for GFS, so somebody else can confirm this, but I think you get placed to a department first, before been placed in a specific office. You could discuss this at the meeting with the HR person. Unfortunately the Fast Stream website is pretty clear about the fact that you have to be prepared to get placed anywhere, I hope it works out for you though:smile:

Oh, ok, didn't think of that possibility. Thanks! I'll give it few more days see if any one else has any advice and just send my options next week and hope for the best!
Original post by dblue
Oh, ok, didn't think of that possibility. Thanks! I'll give it few more days see if any one else has any advice and just send my options next week and hope for the best!

Hi. It might be different for me because I'm an analytical stream (i.e. don't need as much direct contact with ministers), but I originally got placed in Newport, and that fell through last week. The head of my stream called me up and basially said that if I REALLY wanted Bristol/ South Wales etc, I could just wait until a vacancy arose. In the end I've gone for London because I need to start work in September for the sake of my bank balance!! My only "commitment" is my boyfriend who is applying for phds and probably won't know where in the country he will be until maybe August, so it seemed silly holding out for him. I'm hoping that within a couple of years I will be able to move to a more convenient location if he isn't down south. If you really do/ don't want to live in London then I'm sure they'll respect that, I got the impression that they are fairly human and flexible.
Original post by dblue
Thanks for that!
I've read that too but was still a bit worried. I'm not sure if my reasons will be valid from their perspective as it's pretty much wanting to be there just for a couple of people in my life who are there. So a bit tricky to formulate that into a valid reason.

I was thinking of just putting London and South East as location preference and not make use of the option to choose three locations, do you think that's a bad idea?..as in I'm afraid they might think I'm not being flexible and decrease my chances of being offered a job..

Hiya I am on the HR stream and I only put one location preference down which was North West, and I have now been assigned to HMRC In Manchester just waiting to go in and have a chat with them. I think if you just put 2 that will be fine considering most of the jobs are over that way anyway.
Agreed, it would be far more likely in the opposite situation in my opinion, if you were to request position in a specific area out of London.
Reply 2336
Original post by mr_maroon
Through to the TiB FSB on April 17, genuinely having to pinch myself. Does anyone have a reasonable estimate for vacancies/remainign applicants? The 2010 report seemed to indicate that of 42 people who showed, 29 were offered positions - I like them odds!

Also, I've been wondering about FSBs: Are they essentially another FSAC, in that they're looking for the 'best talent', or are they just ensuring that the applicant is at home with the stream they're going on and can handle more specific concepts that wouldn't have been brought up in FSAC?

Either way, I'm pumped!

I'm also in for the 17th. Maybe we can arrange to meet before/after the event.
Reply 2337
Agreed, it would be far more likely in the opposite situation in my opinion, if you were to request position in a specific area out of London.

Agreed. I think you would more likely have problems with placement if you want a location OUTSIDE London. If you put London as your preference, odds are you'd get it. Now, if you put Wales or Scotland as your preference, there may be fewer places in those locations than requests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2338
Original post by obamtl
Agreed. I think you would more likely have problems with placement if you want a location OUTSIDE London. If you put London as your preference, odds are you'd get it. Now, if you put Wales or Scotland as your preference, there may be fewer places in those locations than requests.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Tbh, in my panic it didn't even cross my mind that actually there might be a considerable number of people requesting outside London. Silly me, I'm not from the UK and the only place where I can see myself living is London and I keep forgetting that not all people here want to be in London:smile:

So thanks, I'm a bit less worried now, I'll send my options and hopefully will be ok!
Reply 2339
Bit late to reply about results (had a bit too much fun this weekend...) but just thought I'd post that I was unsuccessful for CD with 16.5, which it looks like is no more than 0.8 off the pass mark. Annoyingly close, although not as close as some others on here!

The feedback report is good though, and much more positive than I was expecting. I did worst in the e-tray written exercise (standard) and best in the policy briefing (which I was most worried about before the FSAC).

Bit stuck on whether to reapply next year. I suppose I will but right now I don't think I can go through such a drawn out process again!

Well done to everyone that got through. Can't believe there are people still waiting, that is ridiculous, but good luck to you too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending