The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm so confused. Do we have a separate set of tests for each scheme or not? I did my self-assessed verbal test for one scheme, but just logged into the website to do one for my other scheme to find that that one has no self-assessed section at all. I have to do the practice tests for this scheme by Friday, then the real tests from Saturday to next Saturday. So the European scheme has

Eligibility
Practice tests
Online tests

The Diplomatic one has
Eligibility
Self-assessment
Practice tests
Online tests

Is this right? It seems I'm basically a week ahead doing my online tests with the European scheme. Which is, for some reason, called 'EFS Diplomatic Service Scheme' on my page. I definitely selected Diplomatic Service for my first choice and European as my second. What's going on? Surely European Fast Scheme shouldn't say anything about Diplomatic Service? Is it a bug in the system or am I just totally confused?
(edited 12 years ago)
This is what it says about EFS Diplomatic Service:

EFS Option Eligibility Check

You will automatically be considered for the European Fast Stream (EFS) when you submit your option(s), which we would like you to do immediately after adding this scheme.

In addition to the European Fast Stream there is one other option, EFS Diplomatic Service. If you are eligible and wish to be considered for this in addition to EFS, you must select the option button. If you want to be considered for the Diplomatic Service option you must select it as your first option.

So I already did this, which I understood to mean that I've applied for the EFS (European Fast Stream) and the Diplomatic Service (which I selected as my first option). So why do I have 'European Fast Stream' and 'Graduate Fast Scheme' listed under 'My Applications'? And if you only have to take the online tests once (as the FAQ says), why do I have a separate 'timeline' for each one, with one telling me I have self assessments to do by the end of the week and the other telling me my actual practice tests have to be done by then?
Reply 222
Original post by IzzyWizzy

Anyway, I was told that I was in the top 45% of candidates and that I have a reasonable chance of passing. Would be much more useful to receive actual feedback.

Izzy - My husband is considering giving the fast stream a go this year and he's been doing the self assessment and practice tests along with me.

Like you, the online self assessment told me I was in the top 45% for verbal reasoning and I was pretty pleased to be told I had 'a reasonable chance' at passing. I was then told I wasn't in the top 45% for my numeric reasoning, so I assumed that you were told you were either in the top 45% or not in the top 45% and that was that.

My husband, however :angry: Well he got told he was in the top 15% of verbal reasoning and had 'a very good' chance at getting through :s-smilie:

Like you, I find some of the questions bloody infuriating!! But I've been doing loads of practice ones online all week (have you been on assessmentday.co.uk ?) and I managed to get 24/30 in one this evening. So I guess it's just practice practice practice and then practice some more. The answers still don't always make sense to me but I feel like I'm getting more into that kind of mindset so even though I know the answer doesn't completely make sense I still have a good idea of what the right answer is lol Well some of the time anyway!!!
Reply 223
Original post by HighestKungFu
I reckon that I got about 10-11 right on the numerical, will that be enough? Probably not lol I didn't really finish it and guessed the last couple!

No idea dude, but good luck!!! Let us know how you get on :biggrin:
Original post by chrrry
No idea dude, but good luck!!! Let us know how you get on :biggrin:

Will do :smile: I reckon the maths has been my downfall but we shall see!
Reply 225
Original post by chrrry
...the online self assessment told me I was in the top 45% for verbal reasoning and I was pretty pleased to be told I had 'a reasonable chance' at passing.

You know, it's just dawned on me that the competency questionnaire must be used to weed out a fairly significant number of people...About 20% of applicants get through to the e-tray stage, but if people scoring in the top 45% in the psychometric tests have a reasonably good chance of getting though, then something like 40% of those top 45%-ers must be knocked out on the basis of their competency questionnaire (based on the figures in the 2010 report).

Blimey - in hindsight I may have whizzed through it rather too quickly! Hope I don't live to regret that...
Reply 226
Original post by IzzyWizzy
if the text says 'there is some evidence that smokers are more likely to die of a heart attack' and the question is 'Smokers may die of a heart attack', the correct answer is 'cannot say'. But IMO it should be 'true' - the usage of the word may in itself implies that the statement might or might not be true.

Clearly it's true that 'smokers may die of a heart attack'. This is common sense. I suspect that the question aimed to see if you would disregard irrelevant information, but is badly designed and plain wrong.

When I was preparing for the Fast Stream tests I bought a book from WHSmiths full of 'Civil Service' literacy/numeracy questions. It gave a good feel for what was expected, but again some of the answers provided were simply wrong. There's little incentive for the publisher to correct mistakes as you're unlikely to be a repeat purchaser.
Reply 227
Original post by Nitebot
I agree. It doesn't surprise me though. You should read the gobbledygook civil servants come up with at times. If we in local government published documents like that there would be a right fuss.

The poster said it was a question on another site.

Not that the FS questions are written by civil servants either...
Reply 228
Original post by Quady
The poster said it was a question on another site.

Not that the FS questions are written by civil servants either...

I was having a jokey cheap shot at civil servants. :smile: My father was one!!
Reply 229
Original post by Nitebot
I was having a jokey cheap shot at civil servants. :smile: My father was one!!

Yeah, just the follow on people were starting to make it sound like that was one of the FS questions in some way. If people have issues with verbal/numerical questions they should really make another thread for it imho
Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but for the current/former Fast Streamers posting:

In terms of career development and salary, are the 4 years spent without a promotion or significant raise (as I understand it) worth it? I am about to start my placement, but my current employer has made an attractive offer for me to stay. While I still want to work in the Civil Service eventually, am pondering whether Fast Stream is the best way to do this, or whether I can return externally in a few years time, having gained experience etc. elsewhere.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome, as I am really struggling with this decision.

Thanks.
Original post by Bookworm.303
Apologies if this is a bit off topic, but for the current/former Fast Streamers posting:

In terms of career development and salary, are the 4 years spent without a promotion or significant raise (as I understand it) worth it? I am about to start my placement, but my current employer has made an attractive offer for me to stay. While I still want to work in the Civil Service eventually, am pondering whether Fast Stream is the best way to do this, or whether I can return externally in a few years time, having gained experience etc. elsewhere.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome, as I am really struggling with this decision.

Thanks.

I had a couple of offers like yourself.

For me, once I knew I had hit above a certain salary and was going to be working in London I just went for the job I knew I was going to enjoy the most.

Upto you where you prioritise the various aspects (Salary/Job Satisfaction/Hours/Location/Commute...etc.) in your career.
It's the hitting above a certain salary that's an issue! Staying put makes more sense financially and will leave me in a similar role at the end of four years . . . But was ridiculously pleased to get FS on my 3rd attempt and don't know if I should turn away! What's it like to go through the process? Do you feel that the work makes up for financial shortcomings?
How long does it usually take to mark the online tests. I sat them last week and I'm still waiting on the results. I thought it would have been pretty automatic?
I just wanted to confirm that the REAL online tests, like the practice ones, can be completed in several parts, on different days, if the applicant chooses to do this?
Reply 235
I did the online tests for GES two days ago and yesterday I got the message that I was successful and will advance to the next stage but on the scheme progress page it still says 'awaiting results' and I cannot access the next stage..is it normal?anyone in the same situation?
Just did the practice VR test.....my God, it's difficult. Not so much the questions, but reading blocks of text on a laptop screen. I got 25 out of 32, is that alright or really bad?
Reply 237
Original post by fleetfox
You know, it's just dawned on me that the competency questionnaire must be used to weed out a fairly significant number of people...About 20% of applicants get through to the e-tray stage, but if people scoring in the top 45% in the psychometric tests have a reasonably good chance of getting though, then something like 40% of those top 45%-ers must be knocked out on the basis of their competency questionnaire (based on the figures in the 2010 report).

Blimey - in hindsight I may have whizzed through it rather too quickly! Hope I don't live to regret that...

I think that's the way to do it tbh. When you start thinking about it too much, and try to guess what the 'right' answer should be ... your answers will be inconsistent and the report generated on you will show that you haven't taken the questionnaire honestly which would most probably get you rejected. There is no right answer, yes they're no doubt looking for certain characteristics but you either have those or you don't. And I'm sure the type of people they're looking for would span a range of personality types so I doubt the test knocks out that many people tbh. The 45%/15% is just a rough guideline; I wouldn't pay much attention to the 'reasonable chance' etc

I took a similar test for a job a couple weeks ago and they printed out and gave me the report. For one of the key personality traits it identified that I'm naturally very independent but I was trying to come across less so. That was very accurate (coming into an entry level job I know I can't be as independent as I might naturally want to be) and the whole test in general was accurate. Before that I was somewhat sceptical of these personality tests but now I know they do work.
Original post by jeanne.d
I did the online tests for GES two days ago and yesterday I got the message that I was successful and will advance to the next stage but on the scheme progress page it still says 'awaiting results' and I cannot access the next stage..is it normal?anyone in the same situation?

Hey I think this is normal, you get to see the next stage when you get the invite to the EAC, but it took them a day or two to assign me to an EAC day
Reply 239
I did my tests for European Fast Stream and the Graduate Stream last Friday, how much longer will it be? I'm confident of my results on the VR and think I'll be in the top 45% for the NR, just hoping my psych profile doesn't filter me out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending