The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2440
Original post by more tea vicar?
Well, just finished the FCO FSB, and as usual, find it hard to judge on how I've done... So we shall wait and see. Met La Vache there too :smile:

EDIT: just realised I'm back on the let's-check-the-website-every-two-minutes-even-if-I-know-nothing-will-have-changed bandwagon :frown:

ALSO: Should I wait to fill in the Scotland Disclosure forms etc that they post to you? Does possibly being DV-ed over-ride this? confused.com

Fill in the Disclosure form and send it back anyway. DV will be in addition to that, rather than instead of it, and also sending it now will avoid any unnecessary delays if it turns out that you don't need DV-ing.

On the upside, at least you now don't have long to wait until finding out one way or t'other.
Reply 2441
Me too, more tea vicar?, me too... I checked at 8pm last night and again at 7am this morning - what was going to have changed in that time?! *sigh* xxx
Original post by La Vache
Me too, more tea vicar?, me too... I checked at 8pm last night and again at 7am this morning - what was going to have changed in that time?! *sigh* xxx

Same boat also.

I was at the first FCO FSB and I was proud of myself for not checking the parity website at all during the last three weeks but now that's well and truly out the window and i'm back on refresh. We were told we would hear "not before the 12th" and those words have been ringing in my ears ever since.

(i'm a bit concerned that today's Friday the 13th though...)
I rang the number they gave us at the FCO FSB today, and I was told they were currently looking at mid-may!!? i'm not sure I believe this though...
Original post by La Vache

Does it say awaiting event next to the FCO FSB line on your application page still?

Checked three times this morning. Think I might need therapy before the two weeks predicted are done.
Original post by jamestown
I rang the number they gave us at the FCO FSB today, and I was told they were currently looking at mid-may!!? i'm not sure I believe this though...

We were told two weeks by the staff at the FCO FSB, so the beginning of May :s.
Reply 2446
to clarify, my earlier posts talking about the 'end of next week' (i.e. 20th April) referred only to EFS based on what parity/fco/cabinet office said. maybe the schemes have different deadlines? or maybe they were just pacifying me :biggrin:
Reply 2447
I'm also clicking refresh far too often, but not waiting on a fsb result, I'm on reserves list. Anyone else?
Not complaining though, it feels great to finally know where I am as apposed to the horrible "awaiting results" :smile:
Reply 2448
Original post by ellie_flower
Every fast streamer has to spend a year outside their nominated area? Are you sure? What about people with kids who have settled them into schools or people who have family to look after? Also, just normal people who dont want to be living a nomadic lifestyle? This seems a bit insane. Interested if perhaps only for MoD?

If it helps, I was at the open day yesterday and we were told that a lot of fast streamer spend a year outside their location, mostly because operational roles tend to be outside London, and because it is seen as a good thing when you go for promotion.

However, it was emphasised that it is possible to do it all in London if you want to, that no department forces people to relocate if they don't want to, and that there are fast streamer who have done that. (it might be a bit more difficult to find the operations role in London for your department, but you can always just do it as a secondment for a department that has operations available in London)

Hope this helps
Original post by dblue
If it helps, I was at the open day yesterday and we were told that a lot of fast streamer spend a year outside their location, mostly because operational roles tend to be outside London, and because it is seen as a good thing when you go for promotion.

However, it was emphasised that it is possible to do it all in London if you want to, that no department forces people to relocate if they don't want to, and that there are fast streamer who have done that. (it might be a bit more difficult to find the operations role in London for your department, but you can always just do it as a secondment for a department that has operations available in London)

Hope this helps

Definately Rep for you :smile:
On the reserve for NI fast stream, such a funny place to be as you are so close but still don't want to get hopes up :-s I wonder how long we will have to wait ?
Reply 2451
Original post by crazychick
On the reserve for NI fast stream, such a funny place to be as you are so close but still don't want to get hopes up :-s I wonder how long we will have to wait ?

Feeling exactly the same. One of the worst things was reading the remarks on my report where the assessors thought I could have easily gained more marks by doing certain things, such simple fixes that probably would have made the difference for a pass that I could kick myself!
I'm preparing myself for the long wait up to 12 months, but am hoping it'll be in the next month after the successful's have all been placed.
Reply 2452
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about something and I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light for me...

I applied for both the GFS and the EFS, but was unsuccessful at the first (online) stage for the GFS. I progressed through the e-tray and FSAC stages on the EFS. I assumed that the pass mark at the first stage must have been higher for the GFS at the first stage - possibly because of a higher volume of applications. However, at the open day yesterday I met someone who had the opposite experience - he had been unsuccessful in the first round for the EFS, but had progressed as far as the Diplomatic FSB via the GFS. I also discovered yesterday that my score at the FSAC (17.52) is comfortably above the pass mark for the GFS. Again I had assumed that I had just scraped through since I didn't hear that I had passed until early April. It seems from the website that if I am unsuccessful at the EFS FSB then I won't (unlike the Diplomatic version) be switched to the CD pool.

What I would like to know is 1) Is it really possible that I might end up without a job at all even though I scored quite well at the FSAC? and 2) What other criteria are they taking into account at the first stage that could explain why I didn't get through on the GFS and the person I spoke to yesterday didn't get through on the EFS?

Thanks, and apologies for the length of the post!
Original post by alex14r
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about something and I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light for me...

I applied for both the GFS and the EFS, but was unsuccessful at the first (online) stage for the GFS. I progressed through the e-tray and FSAC stages on the EFS. I assumed that the pass mark at the first stage must have been higher for the GFS at the first stage - possibly because of a higher volume of applications. However, at the open day yesterday I met someone who had the opposite experience - he had been unsuccessful in the first round for the EFS, but had progressed as far as the Diplomatic FSB via the GFS. I also discovered yesterday that my score at the FSAC (17.52) is comfortably above the pass mark for the GFS. Again I had assumed that I had just scraped through since I didn't hear that I had passed until early April. It seems from the website that if I am unsuccessful at the EFS FSB then I won't (unlike the Diplomatic version) be switched to the CD pool.

What I would like to know is 1) Is it really possible that I might end up without a job at all even though I scored quite well at the FSAC? and 2) What other criteria are they taking into account at the first stage that could explain why I didn't get through on the GFS and the person I spoke to yesterday didn't get through on the EFS?

I'll try to help :smile:

1. I think that on the EFS it is indeed the fact that you won't be offered a job in the central departments if you are not successful in the sift/fsb.

2. One criteria I can think of is the competency questions, which do count, may have let you down in your GFS application. This might have failed you despite getting very high marks in the numerical/verbal bits. I think the EFS general pass mark is usually higher than GFS so this might explain how you met someone who failed on the EFS but got through onto GFS. It's speculation but it might be the reason.
There are a few of us in the same boat, comfortably over the GFS pass mark, but have failed at a previous stage :frown: it does appear that we could be left with nothing, but I know for my scheme and EFS they have a copy of our FSAC reports, so all we can do is hope that they will take them into account.

I don't know regarding the online tests, but I suspect that they aren't assessed by score as such, but by whether you show the kind of personality they are looking for in that particular scheme. Eh may well look for different traits in different schemes. This is just guess work though.
Original post by alex14r
Hi everyone,

I had exactly the same experience as you with the first round - I didn't pass the online tests for the GFS, but got through for the EFS. From speaking to Parity it seems as though the pass mark is actually higher for the EFS for the verbal and numerical tests, but lower (or non-existent) for that personality test thing. I'm also waiting to hear back about the EFS final selection, and it seems there is a possibility that some of us will end up with nothing at all - very frustrating given that the only thing that seems to have held us back is that stupid personality test at the beginning! Hopefully it will all work out in the end though - fingers crossed for us all!
Reply 2456
Many people that would have made it through based on demonstrating the competencies at the FSAC and passing the e-tray and verbal and numerical tests get tripped up by the Questionnaire.
Reply 2457
Original post by kyrilpananovitch
I had exactly the same experience as you with the first round - I didn't pass the online tests for the GFS, but got through for the EFS. From speaking to Parity it seems as though the pass mark is actually higher for the EFS for the verbal and numerical tests, but lower (or non-existent) for that personality test thing. I'm also waiting to hear back about the EFS final selection, and it seems there is a possibility that some of us will end up with nothing at all - very frustrating given that the only thing that seems to have held us back is that stupid personality test at the beginning! Hopefully it will all work out in the end though - fingers crossed for us all!

Thanks very much for that (and to everyone else who has responded). That does seem to make sense. To be honest, I had completely forgotten about the personality test thing! As you say, it would be deeply frustrating to miss out on a job because of that...

Fingers crossed for you all!
Reply 2458
Original post by kyrilpananovitch

Same here too - what More Tea and kyril say is right.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2459
Hold on. Did I miss a meeting? Are you all agreeing that, on EFS, if you are unsuccessful at FCO FSB, you don't revert to EFS central departments? I've never heard that before now, and it seems to be contradicted by what the website says, and by what I've been told.

For example: "If you are unsuccessful at the DS FSB, the option managers will be notified and you will be informed via your candidate website whether there is a place available to you on the European Fast Stream." (From the EFS pre-appointment checks page)

Also, I sent Parity a message saying "Am I right in thinking that I won't have the opportunity to rank my favoured departments until after I know the outcome of my EFS Diplomatic Service application?", to which they replied "Yes that is correct but it should not influence the decison as to which Department to place you."

Both of these statements imply to me that if you are unsuccessful at EFS FCO FSB (!), then you should revert to EFS CD. Why else would they be waiting for all FSBs to finish before placing any EFSers (as I thought was the case)?

I hope this is clear, and that I haven't entirely misunderstood. From where did you all get the impression that failure at EFS FSB simply meant no job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending