Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fast Stream 2012

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazychick)
    Nope nothing. What position are you in again? not sure whether we will have moved any yet. I know its only been a week since we found out but it feels like an eternity!!!
    Hi, don't think there's been any movement regarding the NIS reserve - I found out last week I'm placed first on the reserve list and there has been no progress yet. It's very easy to get addicted to checking to see if there has been any change (like me) but I'm guessing we won't find out for a while yet considering the time it took to get the FSAC results. Good luck anyway, I hope you get offered a position
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob_o)
    Hi, don't think there's been any movement regarding the NIS reserve - I found out last week I'm placed first on the reserve list and there has been no progress yet. It's very easy to get addicted to checking to see if there has been any change (like me) but I'm guessing we won't find out for a while yet considering the time it took to get the FSAC results. Good luck anyway, I hope you get offered a position
    Thanks and good luck to you too. I guess if you don't get offered one at first place none of us will! I noticed last year that the person who was 4th on the NI reserve list got notified that she had a position within a week or so of getting her fsac result. Just our luck that things will undoubtedly move much slower this year! :-( guess we shouldn't complain tho!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Vache)
    I talked to them yesterday and they said probably some time next week! I think the best lesson to draw from this is to trust nobody.
    did you talk to parity or the fco though? because parity are saying this or next week but not the fco
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll know as soon as they can update all the successful people. Some turn down offer so they then go out to next tier. Calling won't make much difference other than clog up the time of the recruitment team (it is a central team who deal with applications for the whole Civil Service, used to be part of the Cabinet Office).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My disclosure Scotland form took 2 weeks, but I had my meeting with my department yesterday and they said it will be minimum two months and might be slower due to the Olympics!

I'm about to head off to an interview for an interim placement in the houses of parliament ....it seems really bizarre considering I didn't apply for HoP but they emailed me offering two months work. Has anyone else had anything like this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestown)
    did you talk to parity or the fco though? because parity are saying this or next week but not the fco
    Ahhh, it was Parity That explains that then! How annoying that they both have different information!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To those on the NI reserve list, I don't think they have even contacted the successful candidates yet so I imagine it will be a while before they know whether they need any reserves.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unsuccessful at the FCO FSB

Argh, I knew it. Buggerbuggerbugggerbugger.

Result came in at 19:27 last night, FYI.

EDIT: La Vache, did you get the women's email address for feedback? I might as well ask!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that Do you have CD as a fallback?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, is there anyone here who applied to the SDIP or have any knowledge of it? Do you know what the working hours are like, is it 5 days a week for 8 weeks?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiryu)
    Sorry to hear that Do you have CD as a fallback?
    Yes, I do.

To be honest, I'm not as upset about it as I thought I would be. I'll get to be a diplomat some way or another, eventually
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more tea vicar?)
    Unsuccessful at the FCO FSB

Argh, I knew it. Buggerbuggerbugggerbugger.

Result came in at 19:27 last night, FYI.

EDIT: La Vache, did you get the women's email address for feedback? I might as well ask!
    Hard luck mate!

When was your FSB?

At least now you know and can get excited about another department
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    Just out of interest, is there anyone here who applied to the SDIP or have any knowledge of it? Do you know what the working hours are like, is it 5 days a week for 8 weeks?
    Long time lurker (first post...), waiting to hear back from FCO FSB.

Birdman, I did the SDIP last year, and worked 5 days a week for 9 weeks, with about 2 days off. The minimum contract length is 6 weeks. Where I worked, the maximum contract length was negotiable, and basically depended on whether your team needed you and could fund you. A fellow intern did a few weeks, had a week's break, then did a few more, so there's (some) wiggle room.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiggogogo)
    Hard luck mate!

When was your FSB?

At least now you know and can get excited about another department
    My FSB was on the 12th April.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alauthat)
    Long time lurker (first post...), waiting to hear back from FCO FSB.

Birdman, I did the SDIP last year, and worked 5 days a week for 9 weeks, with about 2 days off. The minimum contract length is 6 weeks. Where I worked, the maximum contract length was negotiable, and basically depended on whether your team needed you and could fund you. A fellow intern did a few weeks, had a week's break, then did a few more, so there's (some) wiggle room.
    Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more tea vicar?)
    Yes, I do.

To be honest, I'm not as upset about it as I thought I would be. I'll get to be a diplomat some way or another, eventually
    If you end up with some choice in CD, pick an area of policy that interests you. Public transport? Sustainable buildings? Border policing? Trade regulation? Get some expertise in the domestic field and you may find it facilitates a sideways move to the FCO or to an EU.

It's one thing 'being' a diplomat but quite another thing 'doing' it. Assuming you become a diplomat, then what? One of the hardest lessons in life I've learnt is knowing what to do when a dream or ambition comes true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody on HR been contacted by their department that they have been assigned to as of yet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've started thinking about where to live and how much to budget for. At the moment I'm going off within walking distance of work - so Waterloo, Vauxhall, Lambeth, Pimlico etc and maybe 900 a month at the very most - icl bills.

What's everyone else thinking? I have no idea about London yet really
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about Elephant and Castle? It's a little further away and there are a few scruffy bits but there are some nice areas there, and its not-so-brilliant reputation keeps the prices low for somewhere in zone 1.

Edit: more tea vicar? - the feedback email contact is in the fco guide as sarah.anderson[at]fco.gov.uk if that helps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDixie)
    I've started thinking about where to live and how much to budget for. At the moment I'm going off within walking distance of work - so Waterloo, Vauxhall, Lambeth, Pimlico etc and maybe 900 a month at the very most - icl bills.

What's everyone else thinking? I have no idea about London yet really

For that sort of money really you're looking at a flatshare, that is if you can find one...

Even out where I am in Finchley a two bed flat costs at least £1200pm just for rent, its a nice area of course but is right at the start of zone 4.

I'm sure that you can find accomodation close to work for a reasonable amount, but you'll definitely need to either start or get in on an existing house or flat share really. So long as its with good people and not the local drug dealer or something then as I've said its a good way to get to know new people, leave plenty of disposable income for all that London has to offer, get some decent holidays, pay of student debts and of course ultimately start saving for a place of your own...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.