The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately, that is my understanding too, if you didn't apply for/pass central departments and fail whatever FSB/paper sift, you are out :frown:
Original post by TomDixie
I've started thinking about where to live and how much to budget for. At the moment I'm going off within walking distance of work - so Waterloo, Vauxhall, Lambeth, Pimlico etc and maybe 900 a month at the very most - icl bills.

What's everyone else thinking? I have no idea about London yet really

900 a month? Massive waste of money IMO, sorry to be so brutal!! I've been going through the same thought processes and think its probably easier o house share with some other young professionals, or team up with somebody to get a 2 bed flat.

Ps Kensington s the best. Very cheap and pretty close. Ie within an easy walk!
Reply 2582
Original post by GenerationX
For those who mention the central departments did you also apply to the GFS? As I only applied to the TiB FS its my understanding from the FAQ's thats its either pass the FSB or nothing as there is no fallback to the CD from anything other than GFS.

Correct.
Reply 2583
Original post by ellie_flower

I assume you really mean Kennington here, Kensington is - on the whole - crazy money!

With areas of London, you get what you pay for. I've never felt entirely safe around the Kennington/Oval areas during night time (nor Elephant, for that matter). However, this is quite a subjective matter, really.
Big shout out for Tooting which is near Clapham and Balham and all they hold, without the crazy prices. Just stay away from Broadway...!
HLS, Tom & Richard thanks for confirming that. I don't think I would be interested in a central dept civil service role I'm into technology so if not successful for TiB I would be more interested in some of the developer roles either in the likes of the ONS or in the private sector.

That should also be the case for those trying for Analytical, HR or NI as you cannot apply for GFS if you apply for one of those schemes.
Original post by Chiryu
I assume you really mean Kennington here, Kensington is - on the whole - crazy money!

With areas of London, you get what you pay for. I've never felt entirely safe around the Kennington/Oval areas during night time (nor Elephant, for that matter). However, this is quite a subjective matter, really.

totally meant kennington! My iPad clearly thinks that Kenington is so dangerous it needs to be disguised as a word....

Elephant and Castle is a bit dodgy, but Kennington has some lovely bits.
Reply 2587
I spoke to a friend whos girlfriend lives in kennington and he said she loves it..I was looking at north west London but am open to anywhere where there's not too many violent crimes!

I'd love to live on my own because of some bad experiences with house shares but I'm hoping London professionals will be different.

Now just to wait the millennia it will take for security checks, which are apparently slowed down because of the blasted Olympics!
Reply 2588
Original post by ellie_flower
900 a month? Massive waste of money IMO, sorry to be so brutal!! I've been going through the same thought processes and think its probably easier o house share with some other young professionals, or team up with somebody to get a 2 bed flat.

That was just the very most I could afford, obvs I'm gonna go as cheap as poss :P

Once all of the postings have been sorted I'm gonna ask around for any potential house/flat shares with fellow fast streamers
This is my first post on this thread, so hello everyone.

Anyhow, I've been offered Central Departments Faststream and I am currently thinking about what to put on my preferences form. I have had a look at it, and as you all know the only preferences we can put are various policy areas (some of which are clearly related to one particular department, and some of which could be covered by various departments). I was, however, slightly surprised that there seems to be nowhere where we can put any kind of narrative backing up a choice ("I want to work in health because....") -- is this correct or am I missing something? Also, the FAQs and the people at the open day say that FSers are assigned according to their skills/experience etc.; however, the FS application form is so sparse I don't see how they'd even know about my skills/experiences apart from the odd thing from my interview which slipped into my FS report -- any ideas? It just seems a bit odd that there is not more opportunity to express preferences, considering that the dept to which people are assigned seems pretty fixed and very important to the career.

Also, I am thinking of putting down MOD as a department I wouldn't want to work in -- not because I'm a full-blown ideological pacifist, but I'd just feel a bit queasy running wars and promoting the arms industry. Would this be looked down upon? Any suggestion on phrasing it on the form?

Ta in advance for any help on these.
Reply 2590
Original post by JonnyHopeful

Anyhow, I've been offered Central Departments Faststream and I am currently thinking about what to put on my preferences form. I have had a look at it, and as you all know the only preferences we can put are various policy areas (some of which are clearly related to one particular department, and some of which could be covered by various departments). I was, however, slightly surprised that there seems to be nowhere where we can put any kind of narrative backing up a choice ("I want to work in health because....") -- is this correct or am I missing something? Also, the FAQs and the people at the open day say that FSers are assigned according to their skills/experience etc.; however, the FS application form is so sparse I don't see how they'd even know about my skills/experiences apart from the odd thing from my interview which slipped into my FS report -- any ideas? It just seems a bit odd that there is not more opportunity to express preferences, considering that the dept to which people are assigned seems pretty fixed and very important to the career.

Also, I am thinking of putting down MOD as a department I wouldn't want to work in -- not because I'm a full-blown ideological pacifist, but I'd just feel a bit queasy running wars and promoting the arms industry. Would this be looked down upon? Any suggestion on phrasing it on the form?

Each department has to get a range of people with different fsac scores, so it would appear they don't take skills/experience into account. It appears to be a bit of a free for all tbh, I got assigned straight away to transport - which was my 6th preference I think - and I couldn't tell you why.

Don't worry about your career being fixed in any way, once you're ready for grade 7 you can apply to postings in any department.

And if you don't put MOD down as one of your preferences you won't get them, don't worry about that. Few people get assigned to a department that wasn't somewhere on their preference list, but I can't see this ever happening to someone with the MOD due to their developed vetting anyway.
Original post by JonnyHopeful

Just say you're a Quaker :wink:
Original post by Rosaliec
I spoke to a friend whos girlfriend lives in kennington and he said she loves it..I was looking at north west London but am open to anywhere where there's not too many violent crimes!

I'd love to live on my own because of some bad experiences with house shares but I'm hoping London professionals will be different.

Now just to wait the millennia it will take for security checks, which are apparently slowed down because of the blasted Olympics!

NW London is a bit **** in my opinion. Quite convenient on the Jubilee, I suppose, but I thought it was expensive for what you get.

I hope we get told about departments soon!
Reply 2593
Original post by tbtommyb
NW London is a bit **** in my opinion. Quite convenient on the Jubilee, I suppose, but I thought it was expensive for what you get.

You're looking at the wrong line. The Northern Line is where its at, dead easy to get back from Camden, Leicester Square, Covent Garden and so on and once you get to Highgate on the High Barnet side of things you're heading into leafy suburb territory, and I guess Hampstead or Chalk Farm on the Edgeware Branch, although rather pricey even for rentals I'm guessing...
Reply 2594
Ha, you definitely don't want to live in elephant and castle. I live there at the moment as a student and its fairly awful. Cheap and convenient for getting too uni and all but come 9pm all you can hear are sirens, its not safe to go out alone at night as a girl.

Other areas slightly more south ie Herne Hill are much nicer and safer and have a good train link to Victoria, ideal for some departments.

I'm starting as a social researcher in the home office in August. It would be good if there was some sort of central houseshare arranger thing for fast streamers. I'm considering living on my own, having gotten fed up of housemates who are far too noisy and lazy, but perhaps people working for the civil service might be ok!
Reply 2595
Original post by polly72
Other areas slightly more south ie Herne Hill are much nicer and safer and have a good train link to Victoria, ideal for some departments.

Herne Hill is lovely (I lived there for 4 years) but be warned that it's rather expensive in terms of rent.
Reply 2596
Just as a point as I remember for those wanting mod, the man at my meeting said there's 18 spaces available and he seemed to have a pretty good idea of most of them who had been picked.

Here's hoping I get my out of London placement in Washington!
Reply 2597
Original post by polly72
Ha, you definitely don't want to live in elephant and castle. I live there at the moment as a student and its fairly awful. Cheap and convenient for getting too uni and all but come 9pm all you can hear are sirens, its not safe to go out alone at night as a girl.

I'm starting as a social researcher in the home office in August. It would be good if there was some sort of central houseshare arranger thing for fast streamers. I'm considering living on my own, having gotten fed up of housemates who are far too noisy and lazy, but perhaps people working for the civil service might be ok!

I'm guessing there should be some kind of online FSers community. It'd help if new FSers are directed there quickly after getting on the Fast Stream, so that they can network early on, and in some cases, potentially look into things such as house shares.

This is probably the last thing I should be thinking of, and is probably jumping the gun by a fair bit, but does anyone know when FSers get their first pay check? Some grad schemes (especially the IBs) have signing bonuses, that are quite handy for relocation and shopping for a work wardrobe (for those fresh out of University).

Are salaries paid every two weeks or monthly?
Original post by obamtl
I'm guessing there should be some kind of online FSers community.

As well as the facebook page there is a Fast Stream Group on LinkedIn. If you have been offered a position it might be worth applying to the group and see if you can find out information there.
Original post by obamtl
I'm guessing there should be some kind of online FSers community. It'd help if new FSers are directed there quickly after getting on the Fast Stream, so that they can network early on, and in some cases, potentially look into things such as house shares.

This is probably the last thing I should be thinking of, and is probably jumping the gun by a fair bit, but does anyone know when FSers get their first pay check? Some grad schemes (especially the IBs) have signing bonuses, that are quite handy for relocation and shopping for a work wardrobe (for those fresh out of University).

Are salaries paid every two weeks or monthly?

:rofl: You're in for a shock... no, the civil service doesn't have signing bonuses.

Usually paid last working day of the month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending