The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by HLS
TiB FSB today - I thought much harder than the FSAC.

Totally agree with you and obamtl - I found the TiB FSB very challenging (I've a Computing background), and my performance was far, far from my best - I ran out of time and was stopped during the briefing, which was embarrassing. So many things I should have mentioned during the interview, too!
Yes, it was very very hard. I ran out of time in the briefing too, but the rest went reasonably well. Although they didn't want specific subject knowledge like particular programming languages, software packages, etc. They did expect quite a deep and broad knowledge of 'technology in business' (Sorry don't know how else to describe it) as a whole. I really don't know how well I did, I wouldn't be surprised by either result to be honest.
Reply 2642
Hello,

I'm sure lots of other people have asked this question, but I'm really interested in Fast Stream, I graduate in 2013 and I'm currently predicted a first. I just want to know how and when do I apply, what sort of stuff are they looking for, ie do they want someone with experience? Also could someone inform me of the selection process, what are the assessments like? And finally I heard that this is really competitive, Is this true?

Many thanks in advance and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 2643
Original post by richardp2020
Yes, it was very very hard. I ran out of time in the briefing too, but the rest went reasonably well. Although they didn't want specific subject knowledge like particular programming languages, software packages, etc. They did expect quite a deep and broad knowledge of 'technology in business' (Sorry don't know how else to describe it) as a whole. I really don't know how well I did, I wouldn't be surprised by either result to be honest.

Yup... I've had moments of sudden dread that I did crap, and other moments where I've thought I actually did pretty well on some things. In every stage up until now (online tests, e-tray, FSAC) I'd felt near 100% certain I'd get past those stages. Now, I really have no idea.

Anyway, the last FSBs are today, then we should hear in maybe a week or two max. At this stage in the waiting game, I'm no longer anxious.
Reply 2644
Original post by obamtl
Yup... I've had moments of sudden dread that I did crap, and other moments where I've thought I actually did pretty well on some things. In every stage up until now (online tests, e-tray, FSAC) I'd felt near 100% certain I'd get past those stages. Now, I really have no idea.

Anyway, the last FSBs are today, then we should hear in maybe a week or two max. At this stage in the waiting game, I'm no longer anxious.

The plan was to interview 64 people but apparently about 8 or 9 of those did not attend.

An anxious week's wait...
Hi all,

Several people have mentioned it might be good to have a social space set up to meet one another and discuss. I've taken the liberty of making a FB group, please feel free to join:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/173866332736049/
Reply 2646
From an email I just received, it seems that there are more than 50 HR FSers this year. Perhaps some deferred and are onboarding this year?
Reply 2647
Original post by eff01
I'm sure lots of other people have asked this question, but I'm really interested in Fast Stream, I graduate in 2013 and I'm currently predicted a first. I just want to know how and when do I apply, what sort of stuff are they looking for, ie do they want someone with experience? Also could someone inform me of the selection process, what are the assessments like? And finally I heard that this is really competitive, Is this true?

Firstly, there are three or four FS threads on TSR, all of them between 80-100ish pages, but well worth skim reading as there's tons of info there.

The competition is very competitive, with approximately 2% success rate overall. Diplomatic service/FCO is more like 1%. The selection mechanism depends on the scheme you apply for (analytical is quite different to the others), but typically consists of:
1) online aptitude tests (numeracy, reasoning, and a competency/personality questionnaire), filtering out about 3/4 of the applicants.
2) supervised e-tray assessment (reading documents and deciding on best and worst responses to emails), and a supervised re-test of the stuff from part 1), filtering out about 4/5 of the remaining applicants.
3) the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC), a day of testing including policy writing exercises, a briefing exercise, a group exercise and an interview. This typically has an approximately 33-50% success rate, but varies wildly from scheme to scheme (FCO has a much higher pass mark, TiB and HR much lower than the general "central departments" GFS).
4) Finally, for TiB and the FCO, there is a final selection board (and for EFS a paper sift based on your application form).

The later stages of the process are competency-based, which involves talking about examples in your life where you have demonstrated the 6 core competencies (building productive relationships, drive for results, learning and improving, communicating with impact, decision making, constructive thinking). This can come from your University experience, work experience, hobbies etc. etc. The average age of successful applicants tends to be around 25ish, but there are plenty of final year students who are successful.
Original post by Evidza
From an email I just received, it seems that there are more than 50 HR FSers this year. Perhaps some deferred and are onboarding this year?

Yeah I received the same email, looks to be about 60 in there but could include the reserves? The cc'd addresses seem to be the departmental managers, looking forward to the 22nd it will be good to get more information about what to expect etc
Reply 2649
I know!

All the cc'd names were DWP based, leading me to conjecture that that is our home dept across the board.
Original post by Evidza
I know!

All the cc'd names were DWP based, leading me to conjecture that that is our home dept across the board.

I was originally assigned to DWP but have been switched now to HMRC as I want to be North West based. I think you are right though a vast majority will be DWP for HR.
Hi
I'm new to the student room and looking to chat to anyone who's starting in London in either the GES fast stream or in DWP this autumn... is there another thread for people who've got job offers? (Not wanting to interrupt the application process discussion!)
Reply 2652
The TiB Final Selection Boards have now officially been completed! It's now a waiting game for the 50 or so people that have been to the FSB.:smile:

My understanding was that as of early last week, they didn't have a definite figure on the number of places. The TiB managers claim there is high demand this year, and it is likely to be their largest ever intake, but there may be delays until they can finalise the actual number of places that they can offer to the candidates.
Original post by purplejive
Hi
I'm new to the student room and looking to chat to anyone who's starting in London in either the GES fast stream or in DWP this autumn... is there another thread for people who've got job offers? (Not wanting to interrupt the application process discussion!)

Yep, as posted above, we have set up a fb group. So if you didn't already join...
Reply 2654
Original post by obamtl
The TiB Final Selection Boards have now officially been completed! It's now a waiting game for the 50 or so people that have been to the FSB.:smile:

My understanding was that as of early last week, they didn't have a definite figure on the number of places. The TiB managers claim there is high demand this year, and it is likely to be their largest ever intake, but there may be delays until they can finalise the actual number of places that they can offer to the candidates.

64 were invited to interview. I expect there are probably ~40 places, and ~55 candidates.

Not bad odds but I didn't do particularly well at FSB!
Reply 2655
Original post by sketchyworld
Hi all,

Several people have mentioned it might be good to have a social space set up to meet one another and discuss. I've taken the liberty of making a FB group, please feel free to join:

Done mate
Good luck to all of you joining the Fast Stream this year. My post at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1754178&page=2&p=33835953#post33835953 from the very start of this thread gives an insight into some of the things you might come across during your time in the civil service. All the best.
Reply 2657
Original post by Evidza

Original post by shellybean01
Yeah I received the same email, looks to be about 60 in there but could include the reserves? The cc'd addresses seem to be the departmental managers, looking forward to the 22nd it will be good to get more information about what to expect etc

Did the email have a list of names on? I was told I'm 2nd reserve so would be interested to see it, although with so many people being taken on this year already I don't think it looks good for me :frown:
Reply 2658
Original post by HLS
64 were invited to interview. I expect there are probably ~40 places, and ~55 candidates.

Not bad odds but I didn't do particularly well at FSB!

Yeah, I think I tanked as well. Oddly enough if I'd done it ten years ago then I'd have loads of very recent projects to draw upon, indeed I can't believe that I forgot to mention a sort of fan project I started and led around that time that was basically run via a Yahoo-Group that involved drawing in a load of creative professionals and aspiring auothors, sculptors and the like.

But basically back then having your own TLD or website that you'd designed yourself was still fairly rare, not so much these days really...

I do still have my four letter .com TLD though, never going to part with that... :wink:
I wonder how much stock they put in the 2:1 part of TiB. If my dissertation goes disastrously I could well end up with a 2:2, which is far from ideal. I wonder if they'll overlook/even ask about my degree should I end up getting through?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending