The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I've noticed some people saying they came in the x percentile for the tests, how do you know this? :confused:
Reply 261
Original post by Antzlck
I've noticed some people saying they came in the x percentile for the tests, how do you know this? :confused:

I know because I asked :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chrrry
:mad::angry::mad::angry:

Fuming!!! I sat down to do the practice online assessment this evening, with a view to taking the online tests themselves in the next couple of days.

So, first of all, the practice online numeric reasoning test...oh my god, difficult!!!! But I was feeling very 50/50 about how it had gone for me, felt confident about some of the questions and very shaky about others.

So I got to the end of the test, clicked the last answer and clicked next...and nothing happened! It told me to click next to get my score but nada! So after a couple of minutes and a couple of tries I refreshed the page and I got a message on screen saying 'you have already completed this test'. So I didn't get to find out my score after all that!

Went back to my online account homepage and although it does say that I have completed the practice assessments it hasn't given me a deadline to complete the real assessments and it won't allow me to click through and do the real assessments now either. I've just fired off a message to the online help desk but they are only open Mon - Fri, 8am-6pm. Grrrr!!!

Which makes me wonder what happens when people have online problems and it's the weekend and their deadline to get a section finished is midnight on a Saturday night?? My laptop is in good nick and my internet connection is fine, so god knows what happened...ghosts in the machine?? Presumably won't hear anything until Monday now and no idea if they'll even be able to give me my score :confused:
I really would have preferred to know how I'd done on the practice test before I have to take the real one...

Ring them, I bet they'll reset it. The on the phone help is really good. I realised that I'd have to do the real tests before an exam which was bad timing so they reset the deadline for me, they're good :smile:
Applying this year... I'm worried about numerical reasoning, I'm just so slow at it! Don't know what to do really, I feel I have no hope of getting through the assessments! I'm great at verbal and I can do the maths I just can't do it fast enough! Tips?
Original post by Tremendous
Applying this year... I'm worried about numerical reasoning, I'm just so slow at it! Don't know what to do really, I feel I have no hope of getting through the assessments! I'm great at verbal and I can do the maths I just can't do it fast enough! Tips?

Practice practice practice! The test is pretty much all interpreting data (tables, bar charts) and extrapolating percentages. None of that stuff requires much intelligence to do correctly if you have enough time, so it's just about speeding up. And every time you practice you will get faster as you get more familiar with it.

I know it's not much fun to do, but it's really the only and the best thing to do. The actual maths is no higher than GCSE grade C level - you just need to get completely familiar with it.
Original post by Terrafire
Practice practice practice! The test is pretty much all interpreting data (tables, bar charts) and extrapolating percentages. None of that stuff requires much intelligence to do correctly if you have enough time, so it's just about speeding up. And every time you practice you will get faster as you get more familiar with it.

I know it's not much fun to do, but it's really the only and the best thing to do. The actual maths is no higher than GCSE grade C level - you just need to get completely familiar with it.

Yeah I get what it's all about and I can tell it is easier than my GCSE maths stuff... I'm just so slow and I can't seem to get faster! I can only finish half in the time, argh
Original post by Muffinz
Fantastic :smile: I'm really excited about this because it's one of the few career options I've been really enthusiastic about applying for - working in Parliament would be amazing! Do you know what the success rate is, how difficult it is to get a place? I want to know if I shoud be scoping out other options as an insurance at this point (First year English student at Leeds Uni).

The Fast Stream is statistically a long shot: according to the recruitment report for 2010 there were 21761 applications and 465 offered places, a success rate of 2.1%.

However there are other jobs in Westminster. I know a fair few people from Leeds who are working in Westminster, they aren't in the Civil Service though they are working for MPs or lobby groups, the POLIS department in Leeds has good links with MPs and there are a lot of students doing placements. The http://www.w4mpjobs.org/ website has info about various opportunities to work in Westminster.

Also bear in mind this MA that is done in Leeds which specifically gives students experience in Westminster. If working in Westminster is something that interests you and you want some advice on how to get work experience there etc then I would say contact Ed Gouge or Stuart McAnulla in the POLIS dept as they ran that MA (from memory) and Ed had all the contacts.
Reply 267
Original post by MagicNMedicine
The Fast Stream is statistically a long shot: according to the recruitment report for 2010 there were 21761 applications and 465 offered places, a success rate of 2.1%.

However there are other jobs in Westminster. I know a fair few people from Leeds who are working in Westminster, they aren't in the Civil Service though they are working for MPs or lobby groups, the POLIS department in Leeds has good links with MPs and there are a lot of students doing placements. The http://www.w4mpjobs.org/ website has info about various opportunities to work in Westminster.

Also bear in mind this MA that is done in Leeds which specifically gives students experience in Westminster. If working in Westminster is something that interests you and you want some advice on how to get work experience there etc then I would say contact Ed Gouge or Stuart McAnulla in the POLIS dept as they ran that MA (from memory) and Ed had all the contacts.

Okay, thank you very much for the information. I'll consider backups, but this is something I really want to work towards and apply for. What can I do in the meantime to strengthen my application? Also, do you only ever get one shot, or can you apply multiple years in a row?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 268
Hi everyone!

Chrry - I'm also applying for the Northern Ireland Fast Stream, I'm glad to find someone else who is! Just tried my practice tests today, I've done a number of these tests before for other programmes but find that the one's for this are exceptionally difficult!

While I was pleased to achieve the top 15% in the verbal reasoning self assessment test, like others here, I was a bit disappointed to see that my first self-assessed numerical test came out at 'top 45%'. It says that you have a 'reasonable chance' of getting through, but without any meaningful comparison I'm not sure if they're just being polite! Does it ever say "You will not get through?" :P

I'm not sure if anyone else also found it strange (or whether it is even the same for other schemes) but I thought it slightly unhelpful that the 'self assessed tests' told you how you fared against others, but no accompanying score, whereas the second 'practice tests' gave you a score but no idea as to how this would rank against anyone else.

My practice test scores tonight were 25/32 and 10/15 respectively, but I'm not at all sure if I did better or worse than when I was ranked in self assessment. Would 25/30 be around top 15%..? Would 10/15 be akin to top 45%...? Who knows, because I certainly don't!

I'm assuming, with a little dread, that perhaps only the top 30% or 25% get through. I guess even if that was the case there would be no point worrying myself and just trying my best! Then again, I am on a forum full of like-minded worriers :P

Please chip in if you have a better grasp than me!
Reply 269
3 more quick questions:

1. I'm pretty sure Northern Ireland fast stream don't have to do a competency based questionaire..? If so, that's brilliant.. given other people's qualms about them and their accuracy.

2. Nobody doing the self assessed tests seems to have got anything other than below 45%, top 45% or top 15% (other than those from schemes that are giving exact percentiles.) Please correct me if I'm wrong

3. I've forgotten.. read the whole forum and had something.. It'll come back to me :P
Original post by coolh5000
Just done the tests - actually found the maths easier than I was expecting - managed to complete the whole test, which is unusual for me. Only a couple of guesses near the end.

Verbal I found quite difficult actually - I've been focusing so much on maths practice and just assuming my verbal would be all right that I didn't really think about it too much. I found I was saying cannot say a lot of the time - I really hope my verbal doesn't let me down.

And now the impatient wait for results.

What other things have people been applying for by the way? I've submitted to a few HR graduate schemes - not sure if it's what I really want to do but it's experience of app processes at least.

Have you heard back yet? I completed it last friday, and was wondering how long I should expect to wait.

Sorry if someone's asked this already, but do they take the competancy/personality questionairre into account for this selection stage, or only the aptitude tests? (Hopefully not the former, because I fear I was a little too honest!)
I'm intending to complete the tests next week when I have a quiet moment. I've been revising my maths for the past 2 weeks and will get on to the practice tests probably tomorrow or wednesday, so hopefully that will be enough. Verbal I've had a lot of practice with recently applying for schemes with very difficult verbal reasoning tests so that should also stand me in good stead, but I'm not taking it for granted.
I am wondering what is a good mark for the second online set of tests for the CIVIL SERVICE fast stream. I have just completed them but they did not give me a quartile. I only got a raw mark.

What is a good enough mark?
Does anyone have an idea.
I think it was out of 32 for the verbal reasoning.
Reply 273
Original post by Cloud 9
Hi everyone!

Chrry - I'm also applying for the Northern Ireland Fast Stream, I'm glad to find someone else who is! Just tried my practice tests today, I've done a number of these tests before for other programmes but find that the one's for this are exceptionally difficult!

While I was pleased to achieve the top 15% in the verbal reasoning self assessment test, like others here, I was a bit disappointed to see that my first self-assessed numerical test came out at 'top 45%'. It says that you have a 'reasonable chance' of getting through, but without any meaningful comparison I'm not sure if they're just being polite! Does it ever say "You will not get through?" :P

I'm not sure if anyone else also found it strange (or whether it is even the same for other schemes) but I thought it slightly unhelpful that the 'self assessed tests' told you how you fared against others, but no accompanying score, whereas the second 'practice tests' gave you a score but no idea as to how this would rank against anyone else.

My practice test scores tonight were 25/32 and 10/15 respectively, but I'm not at all sure if I did better or worse than when I was ranked in self assessment. Would 25/30 be around top 15%..? Would 10/15 be akin to top 45%...? Who knows, because I certainly don't!

I'm assuming, with a little dread, that perhaps only the top 30% or 25% get through. I guess even if that was the case there would be no point worrying myself and just trying my best! Then again, I am on a forum full of like-minded worriers :P

Please chip in if you have a better grasp than me!

Hi everyone i am also applying for NI completed tests on the 24th September so have been waiting a month now dont know when results will start to come out. To be honest found actual tests easier than practice ones and was glad it was over. I have already passed a selection system similar for another job and this gave me some confidence. Does anyone know where you can get data on last years entry for NI.
Haha, well I completed the tests today, but didn't get through. For the life of me I couldn't get my head round those stupid verbal reasoning tests. I don't get how people find them so easy but then get in a flap over the numerical tests that feature things like multiplying numbers together.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 275
For people who've got their results, did you get an email notification or do you have to manually log into the website everyday and check to see if it has changed?
Original post by Kt.b
For people who've got their results, did you get an email notification or do you have to manually log into the website everyday and check to see if it has changed?

I just got mine just now by logging in (didn't make it!) - I didn't have email notification
Original post by Nichrome
Haha, well I completed the tests today, but didn't get through. For the life of me I couldn't get my head round those stupid verbal reasoning tests. I don't get how people find them so easy but then get in a flap over the numerical tests that feature things like multiplying numbers together.

Yeah I didn't make it either, and I'm pretty sure that was verbal. I scored in the top 45% in one of the practise tests, but that might well have slipped. It's annoying failing something trivial like that - I'm going to make a habit of practising aptitude tests regularly now... can always apply again next year! Plus loads of grad schemes/jobs require such testing, so it is probaby well worthwhile.
Reply 278
Ahhhhhhh still nothing. Took them 8th October :frown:
Reply 279
Original post by Kt.b
Ahhhhhhh still nothing. Took them 8th October :frown:

Me neither. I really need to forget about it for a while - it could be mid-December before we hear anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending