The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Congratulations to all on NI reserve list who have got through! I was starting to think I wouldn't get in and have to go through the whole process again. Very relieved to be through!
Reply 2821
TiBers check your emails - news about the open day was sent to us earlier.
Reply 2822
Original post by HLS
TiBers check your emails - news about the open day was sent to us earlier.

So now we know the departments as well. Cool. Have you figured out what your first choice would be?
Reply 2823
Original post by obamtl
So now we know the departments as well. Cool. Have you figured out what your first choice would be?

I will choose based on location primarily. I am not sure where each Departmental choice is based. I would like to be able to commute from where I live now if at all possible.

If I had a pure preference it would be for the Treasury. However if that requires working in London I am unlikely to express it as a preference.
Reply 2824
Original post by HLS
I will choose based on location primarily. I am not sure where each Departmental choice is based. I would like to be able to commute from where I live now if at all possible.

If I had a pure preference it would be for the Treasury. However if that requires working in London I am unlikely to express it as a preference.

Where are you commuting from?

Treasury is definitely London only.
Reply 2825
Original post by Aylia

I think it is very likely that there will be no Treasury roles for TiB outside London, considering that HMT staff are concentrated at Whitehall. HMT does have a small number of staff outside London though.

I met a TiBer from DfE who said that for her department, they are quite flexible about where you are located, and unless your role for instance needs you to be in London or some other place, 2-3 times a week, they will accommodate locating you where they've got an office.

DfID is located in both London and Glasgow. They may not be able to accommodate you outside of those two locations (within the UK).
Reply 2826
Original post by Aylia

Up Norf. I know DfE and DWP have placements here. I'll find out about the rest come June 11th I suppose!
Reply 2827
Very jealous of all you TiBbers going to the open day on the 11th (and starting this summer). I'm now officially deferred for a year, so will be going through all this in a year's time :smile:
Reply 2828
Original post by Chiryu
Very jealous of all you TiBbers going to the open day on the 11th (and starting this summer). I'm now officially deferred for a year, so will be going through all this in a year's time :smile:

You were granted a deferral? Do you mind if I ask what for?

I ask since I was considering asking for one but assumed I'd be highly unlikely to get it!
Reply 2829
Original post by obamtl
I think it is very likely that there will be no Treasury roles for TiB outside London, considering that HMT staff are concentrated at Whitehall. HMT does have a small number of staff outside London though.

I met a TiBer from DfE who said that for her department, they are quite flexible about where you are located, and unless your role for instance needs you to be in London or some other place, 2-3 times a week, they will accommodate locating you where they've got an office.

DfID is located in both London and Glasgow. They may not be able to accommodate you outside of those two locations (within the UK).

I can say with certainty that HMT will want their Tibbers in London. They only have a small IT department.

You're right about DfE - they are more flexible than most. DfID may be located in London and Glasgow, but their IT department is in Glasgow - all the DfID tibbers are based there.
I'm into DWP!
Hope everyone has a good day at the open day, I was originally planning on attending but its slightly different on the expenses than Parity. I basically know the dept's I would select as preferences, but hope I get a chance to meet all the other TiBers at one of the social eventss.
I'm into Department of Health! Hoping to be in London though!
Reply 2833
Original post by lovers in japan
I'm into Department of Health! Hoping to be in London though!

Are you on the Facebook page? Two people on there also got assigned to DoH today, both hoping for London too. Good luck!
Hi everyone! Just joined TSR for this thread (only a little late...!).

I got onto the GFS this year and have been assigned to DCLG. Very excited and just a bit terrified :tongue:

So I thought I'd bring the housing question back up, and see if anyone else is looking to share a flat in London - would be great to find some other fast streamers to rent with.
Feel free to PM me if you're interested! :smile:
Reply 2835
Original post by alex14r
Thanks guys, and congratulations to you too! So is A-level equivalent supposed to be B1 or B2 in CEFR terms?

I believe a really good pass at A Level is supposed to be equivalent to B2. In practive, I've not encountered many A level students who really had the oral component at that level. B2 really is the absolute minimum that the EU Institutions demand from a second language... most people are significantly above that, and I'd think you'd need C1 to really get through the concours.

Congrats to everyone who passed. I'll be starting at the Treasury next month; nervous more than anything else.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2836
Original post by mariposa_
Hi everyone! Just joined TSR for this thread (only a little late...!).

I got onto the GFS this year and have been assigned to DCLG. Very excited and just a bit terrified :tongue:

So I thought I'd bring the housing question back up, and see if anyone else is looking to share a flat in London - would be great to find some other fast streamers to rent with.
Feel free to PM me if you're interested! :smile:

Hey, there's a conversation going on about housing on the Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/173866332736049/
Reply 2837
Well, got a phone call today with an offer for Sheffield :smile:
I was 2nd on reserve for HR stream. Hopefully there will still be some lurkers on here incase I need help with the forms, (going to attempt them tomorrow) but just wanted to post today incase any others on reserve are still checking daily like I was :biggrin:
Got my FSAC next week (second round analytical stream), a quick q: is just the oral element - the 10 minute briefing itself - being assessed, or also the 30 minute prep - i.e. the written element of the briefing?
Reply 2839
if the analytical stream fsac is the same as the gfs/hr/etc fsac, then you'll only be assessed on the briefing itself and the responses you give to the questions the assessor will have for you after your ten minutes is up. they wont mark written prep for the briefing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending